rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Tonald Drump

First Aid Kit

It's difficult posting new topics about music, when all you're simply saying this is great.

But that's what this post is. I love The Lion's Roar. A glorious Americana album full of wondorous harmonies and delightful music.

Free download of live tracks here.

• Upvote 3

I liked their first album, Big Black & the Blue. I probably need to give this new one a few more listens, but my first impression is that the melodies aren't quite as strong.

Funnily enough I hadn't heard of them before until I got this album, it's amazing how much quality music you can miss, so don't have the debut for comparison. I've since watched the infamous Fleet Foxes cover vid, and the Patty Smith tribute which were also fabulous.

Had their new album pre-ordered and received it a few days ago. It's incredible.

I loved their debut but for me this is a huge improvement, lyrically especially. Alot of albums take me a few listens to get into but I loved this from the moment I heard the opening track.

I'm seeing them live in Leeds in February, can't wait.

Well I was talking bullshit about this in my earlier post on the basis of one listen. It's a better album than the first one. More varied instrumentation, more interesting arrangements, memorable melodies, and lyrics every bit as good. Would still recommend that people check out the first album -- Hard Believer, in particular, is a brilliant song -- but yeah, Lion's Roar surpasses it.

I'm going to see these ladies at the Albert Hall next month, can't bloody wait.

I'm so obsessed with their albums at the minute!

Saw these guys at the Albert Hall last night, dragged myself up there despite having a cold and it was so worth it, they were incredible.

I wasn't quite sure how their style would translate to a big venue like the Albert Hall but it didn't take long for me to stop wondering, they came out and blasted Stay Gold to get the thing started.

There were some great moments, the no-mics version of Ghost Town was beautiful and had the Albert Hall in complete awed silence, and Klara's 'bit' at the end of Cedar Lane which gives me the goosebumps even when I hear it on CD, was something else. I'm not sure how she does it, it's some talent.

They came back on for a 4-song encore including America (Simon and Garfunkel) and finished with Emmylou which seems to be a crowd favourite, I love it but it's not anywhere near my favourite of theirs.

A great night despite not feeling my best, i'm just glad I didn't unleash sneezing hell on the guys in the row in front of me.

If you get a chance to see them live, you need to take it.

• Upvote 2

Bump. Saw these guys at the Apollo last night, really good. Much better than I thought they'd be. Was unsure they'd be able to carry a big venue but they were great. Good chat between songs and their backing band is tight.

Reasonably short set, just shy of 1.5 hours, but crammed with goodness. They did the America cover, also the jack White song - love interruption, and really well too.

It must have been 80% girls in the crowd meaning I was like a giant, so also had a good view.

• Upvote 1

I was at the same gig with wife and thought they were excellent. The acoustic number was especially lovely.

It would have been better if everyone knew the words!

The national tend to finish on an acoustic version of vanderlye crybaby geeks, it's cheesey as hell but everyone joins in and it's awesome