Films That Scared You Sh**less as a Kid

InsideOutBoy

Labyrinth - Still scared of David Bowie to this very day

I.T - Responsible for my fear of clowns (well along with my mother putting a clown figure on my chair when I went out the room, while watching)

Watership Down - Yep, it bloody frightened me.

I remember watching The Exorcist for the first time, I think it was when it was finally unbanned and was shown on Channel 4?

My dad let me watch it and later fell asleep in the sofa behind my chair, before that he told me I'd have nightmares and I'd regret it, I was lucky enough to not receive any nightmares and not regret it, however I was scared shitless and honestly believed that girl was possesed by the devil. I stayed awake a long while after.

The film has always stayed with me, I still consider it to be the second scariest film I've ever seen. Simply because when you can turn off the lateral thinking part of your brain, and just think "this girl is possesed" it seems very real, and very scary.

We once had a conversation with my brother aswell and how he didn't find the film scary, more laughable & we came upon the subject of ones imagination and how the film can increase certain fears from the length of ones imagination, I believe that to be true.

I think that's why some people laugh at the Exorcist, while others find it horrifying.

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (the original 1973 version) frightened the living bejeezus out of me when I was little.

Quatermass and the Pit - the film version - also scared me witless. The bit where the workman has forgotten his tools and goes back down into the underground station where the alien ship has been found...

Watching old 50s B movies also produced the occasional fright for the young me. It Came from Outer Sace for instance...

it-came-from-outer-space-monster.jpg

Watership Down got me too, cartoons were supposed to be funny and light, not gory, explicit images of rabbits getting torn to pieces.

Although not a movie, this really fucked me up too when I was young

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD6YLl5I4RQ

Around about 10 minutes when the owl flies down. Funny watching it back there, I hadn't realised that you don't actually see any harm come to the frogs but my memory had them being killed by the owl with bits flying everywhere and lots of terrified frog children crying, my 5 year old mind must have filled in teh blanks and come up with that. I still don't trust owls today because of Rupert!

Watership Down got me too, cartoons were supposed to be funny and light, not gory, explicit images of rabbits getting torn to pieces.

I recommend to you the next film from the same British animators: The Plague Dogs. What's that, poster? "Escape to a different world and share the adventure of a lifetime"? Yes, an adventure involving vivisection, accidental-death-by-shotgun, foxes being torn to shreds and general, horrifying tragedy.

Bloody good film, mind, but fuck me if it isn't miserable to watch. Makes Watership Down seem like the Sound of Music in comparison.

In no certain order:

ET

MAC and me

Harry and the Hendersons

All supposedly family friendly films that gave me sleepless nights because of the 'creature'. I still won't watch et and I'm 27, but I'm fine watching alien and films like that.

I caught event horizon on tv late one night when I was 10 and didn't sleep for about 4 or 5 nights. Scary stuff!

Michael Buerk, right?

Ah, it was Michael Aspel. Around the same time I remember a great interdimensional alien invasion show called Invasion Earth.

Yes!! I suddenly feel compelled to find episodes and watch it...although it'll probably seem incredibly corny now!

The Large Marge scene in Pee-Wee's Big Adventure. I loved the film up until that bit!

The "Lair of the Beast" task from The Twelve Tasks of Asterix (which unfortunately seems to be the only part of that film that's not on Youtube - not even in a foreign language).

Watching old 50s B movies also produced the occasional fright for the young me. It Came from Outer Sace for instance...

There's an old 50's movie that has a really creepy opening, can never remember the name of it. A kid sees a ship or something land near his house and runs off to find it over some sand dunes. When he comes back his parents are possessed/replicas, with little marks on their necks, I think. Anyway, had a really unsettling atmosphere, mainly in the way the surrounding areas of the house were shot.

But the first thing to actually scare me and give me nightmares?

WHERE'S MY CAKE BEDELIA! I WANT MY FATHER'S DAY CAKE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4A4e3-5j3I

There's an old 50's movie that has a really creepy opening, can never remember the name of it. A kid sees a ship or something land near his house and runs off to find it over some sand dunes. When he comes back his parents are possessed/replicas, with little marks on their necks, I think. Anyway, had a really unsettling atmosphere, mainly in the way the surrounding areas of the house were shot.

Sounds like Invaders From Mars. Tobe Hooper did an equally unsettling remake with some very hideous puppets.

I got sent on one of these PGL type holidays as a 10 year old (or thereabouts) and on the evenings they'd play various films that were far too adult for the audience.

Alien was one, Saturday 14th was another but the cream of the crop was The Warriors. Not exactly scary, but bloody tense at the end

Film that terrified me: The Gate. A family have the gateway to hell in their back garden under a tree. Stuff starts happening (their dog dies, evil demons start appearing, loads of terrifying shit etc), and the kid (Steven Dorff?). The kid figures out what's happening and realises that his friend's heavy metal album (cursed, of course... all the members of the band died in tragic circumstances) has the explanation of what it all means on their album cover. Then I remember something about playing the record backwards, the house being over run by shitty stop-motion gremlin things, a massive shitty stop-motion demon, and some ghost thing based on one of the kid's dead parents shouting "YOU'VE BEEN BAAAAAD!"

I saw it when I was about 8 at a friend's house, it was the first horror film I'd seen and it terrified me. But at the same time I loved the stuff about the record playing backwards.

Then I saw it about 5 years ago and it was.... 'less' terrifying :)

TV that most upset me: I don't know what it's called, but in the early 80s I must have been 4 or 5 and remember being taken to pick a cartooon from our local video shop. I picked one, took it home and watched it and it ended up with my parents taking it back the next day and basically having a screaming match with the video shop guy because I was so traumatised. All I can remember was a guy (obviously the bad guy of the cartoon) coming to a door, he was tall and thin and I think he had a long cape. I think this was on earth, but I have a feeling it was mainly a space story. He was wanting information from a couple (man & woman I think) and threatened them with killing them. The couple then gave in and told him what they wanted to know, but the bad guy just laughed saying he was going to kill them anyway, and did. I can even feel to this day how horrified I was. I *think* it might be Battle of the Planets - it was that sort of late 70s / early 80s Japanese vibe, and seeing pictures of Zoltar online just gave me the cold shivers. If anyone can help me find what this was (if I could find that one scene I described it would be amazing) it would help lay some childhood demons to rest :)

Robocop gets my vote for the most frightened I’ve ever been as a child.

My Mum & Nan had no idea about BBFC ratings on VHS tapes and when I went into Woolworths I saw the Robocop video on a shelf. My parents said if I wanted the film, I had to put back the Gladiator Pugil sticks they had just brought me from another shop. I went with the Paul Verhoeven film instead. I was only about 7 years old.

Although the rest of the film is hard going, I never got to see any of it till years later as my parents had to rush in and press stop as Murphy was being torn to pieces during the opening.

It took me weeks to recover from that. The weekend after I was walking in from our dining room and caught out the corner of my eye a light blue tea cloth hanging on the washing line outside our window. In my child like imagination, it was not a tea cloth, it was Robocop’s face as seen on the cover. My parents heard a terrified scream, came rushing in and found me hiding under the Sofa repeating that I had just seen Robocop.

Even as a 27 year old man and a huge fan of Robocop, I’ve never seen that torture scene fully.

Didn't get to see / wasn't allowed to see too many scary films when I was younger but I think we rented poltergeist on Betemax and I was fine with most of the film but there is one scene where the daughter has gone and all the spooky stuff is happening in her bedroom and they keep it closed. The mum walks past the door and opens it and there is a terrible scream, I hated that.

Also poltergeist 2 where that monster with the flappy arms appears. Not sure what its called but its 2 mins into this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKS_38uuFek

Ah, my first 18s were Robocop when I was 9 or 10. I remember being seriously shocked, and more than a little scared when ED-209 went all "drop the gun" near the beginning. Emil going "heeelllpp mmmeeeee ...uuunnnnnnggggghhhhh" stuck with me as well. But I fucking loved Robocop.

I was just going to post Robocop actually. Mainly the bit where Murphy gets fucked up (especially where he gets his hand blown off ... still makes me wince today) and weirdly I found it really unsettling when he took the visor thing off towards the end. I also stopped playing the C64 game because the game over screen was a picture of him all mangled in some some lab (sans visor) or something. Pretty freaky anyway.

Strangely I was fine with Emil melting. Nothing I hadn't seen before in Raiders Of The Lost Ark.

EDIT: Whoops, quoted wrong post. But yeah, point stands. Also the fact that my mate's dad looks like Clarence didn't help.

Poltergeist. Scared the crap outa me. It was the first time it was on Tv I wanted to watch it and my mum said "well.....ok"

The film looking back is still very unsettling. The thing that got me at the end was the fact the house developers built the project on a graveyard "you moved the gravestones BUT YOU DIDN'T MOVE THE GRAVES" My parents house backs onto a graveyard......

Did not sleep....for a week.