Films That Scared You Sh**less as a Kid

InsideOutBoy

The 1978 remake of Invasion of the Bodysnatchers starring Donald Sutherland scared me shitless. Whenever a 'pod person' realises there's a human they point and scream at them - terrifying enough in itself as an 9/10 year old (I was allowed to stay up to stay up and watch it by a babysitter for some reason).

The final scene has the one remaining human acting like a pod person so no-one detects her, and she sees Sutherland's character who she assumes is still human. She approaches him and he turns to her, points and lets out this otherworldly scream and all the others join in. THE END. It's just so utterly bleak and hopeless.

Scarred me for life.

Not a film, but its video case. The cover of CHUD was eyeline in my local (and amazing) video rental place when I was younger. It creeped me out when i forst saw it (the cover, not the film) I can't have been *that* young, but I had a genuine CHUD cover inspired nightmare one night, which made the film something legendary to me. I regretted never seeing it, but finding a copy whe in got older was hard.

It was years, maybe decades later that I finally found a (US) copy on DVD. Disappointed doesn't come close. One of the least scary horror films ever.

Poltergeist. Scared the crap outa me. It was the first time it was on Tv I wanted to watch it and my mum said "well.....ok"

The film looking back is still very unsettling. The thing that got me at the end was the fact the house developers built the project on a graveyard "you moved the gravestones BUT YOU DIDN'T MOVE THE GRAVES" My parents house backs onto a graveyard......

Did not sleep....for a week.

The scaries't part of Poltergeist isn't any of the monsters, it's the bit with the chairs in the kitchen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT0u50g3v7I

I was fine watching Robocop as a teenager. The torture bit was obviously very gruesome but was just something that you accepted as part of a violent film without too much thought.

The last time I saw it was probably about 10 years ago when I bought the DVD and I found it far more disturbing as an adult when you realise just how nasty and sadistic it was and that this kind of stuff *does* happen to people. I'd be reaching for the fast forward button if I watched it again now.

The Omen and Salems Lot. I must have been around 8 and saw them at a friends house. I have seen The Omen since but never quite had the guts to rewatch Salems Lot. I'm sure I have built it up way too much in my head and its probably dated and not that scary now sadly.

It's horrible, I still can't watch it. It's the delight that the baddies take in making him suffer that upsets me.

They had to tone down that scene completely, didn't they? I don't know if it was filmed or not, but it was meant to be longer and more graphic. I'm sure I've read that?

The 1978 remake of Invasion of the Bodysnatchers starring Donald Sutherland scared me shitless. Whenever a 'pod person' realises there's a human they point and scream at them - terrifying enough in itself as an 9/10 year old (I was allowed to stay up to stay up and watch it by a babysitter for some reason).

The final scene has the one remaining human acting like a pod person so no-one detects her, and she sees Sutherland's character who she assumes is still human. She approaches him and he turns to her, points and lets out this otherworldly scream and all the others join in. THE END. It's just so utterly bleak and hopeless.

Scarred me for life.

That scream at the end is pretty horrible, yeah. Excellent film though.

Halloween 3 was an uncomfortable film to watch; the bit where they are monitoring the family in the room when they put on the masks...

There was a Vincent Price film called Tales of Terror that was shown late-night on BBC1. I was 9 or something. It was divided into 3 tales, and the last of these was called "The Facts In The Case of M. Valdemar". Valdemar was dying of a painful disease and employed a hypnotist to relieve his suffering. Somehow he was hypnotised into a state where he was between the living and the dead and could communicate what he was seeing. Which turned out to be a nothingness void with "People... multitudes of people...". May just have been because it was late, or because it genuinely was super-creepy but it totally freaked me out.

They had to tone down that scene completely, didn't they? I don't know if it was filmed or not, but it was meant to be longer and more graphic. I'm sure I've read that?

Yeah, the DVD has it. One interesting point is that the censors made them cut down the ED-209 scene too, which Verhoeven felt made it more violent and undercut the humour intended in the scene. In the original cut it plays more like a Family Guy gag where it keeps on going and going and going.

Terror is such a subjective thing..

None of the horror films I'd seen by my pre-teens had bothered me..

However (being really not a fan of spiders) getting dragged along to Arachnophobia (which was a freaking PG IIRC) by my friends was infinitely more traumatising!

There was a Vincent Price film called Tales of Terror that was shown late-night on BBC1. I was 9 or something. It was divided into 3 tales, and the last of these was called "The Facts In The Case of M. Valdemar". Valdemar was dying of a painful disease and employed a hypnotist to relieve his suffering. Somehow he was hypnotised into a state where he was between the living and the dead and could communicate what he was seeing. Which turned out to be a nothingness void with "People... multitudes of people...". May just have been because it was late, or because it genuinely was super-creepy but it totally freaked me out.

I'm sure you know, but it's a Poe story, and a particularly good one. It's worth tracking down almost all of Poe's stuff, as it's deeply unsettling.

Some good calls in here: I re-watched Robocop recently and it was the UK release, i.e. slightly less violent. I actually think the version with the exceptional violence adds a lot to the film: Kenny getting literally shredded by ED-209 whlist already clearly dead, draped over the model of Delta City puts this huge emphasis on how the corporate world fucks over the schleppers and takes and takes without restraint (and no comebacks).

And like Vespa Alex says, the things they do to Murphy actually happen in real life. His torture - and sad vulnerability (the fact he still turns around when they ask him to) - is heartbreaking and shows the criminals' total brutality and amorality. It also gets us completely and utterly on Murphy's (not necessarily Robocop)'s side, so when he gets a measure of his humanity back in the last line of the film, we all cheer.

Terror is such a subjective thing..

None of the horror films I'd seen by my pre-teens had bothered me..

However (being really not a fan of spiders) getting dragged along to Arachnophobia (which was a freaking PG IIRC) by my friends was infinitely more traumatising!

I was going to mention Arachnophobia! For some reason when I was younger (alright, not that young...13) I saw it in the tv listings for about 2am, and described as horror. For some reason, despite being scared of spiders, I thought that it would be corny and amusing, so I watched it. The scene with the girl in the shower and the spider creeping towards her - ahhhhhh!!

Once it was over I went upstairs feeling like spiders were lurking everywhere, opened the door of my room, and something flew into my face - I screamed, convinced it was a spider..it was a moth. But then I noticed a cobweb...I slept in the spare bedroom that night and pulled my room apart the next day to make sure there were no spiders hiding out in it :doh:

That's an Edgar Allen Poe story, one of my favourites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Facts_in_the_Case_of_M._Valdemar

The tree scene during the thunderstorm from Poltergeist was a bad one for me because I had a similar looking tree outside my bedroom window and I used to do the count the miles from the flash to the rumble thing...avoided watching it for over 20 years. Saw it recently and was so disappointed, yet secretly relieved. That bloody tree!

I know its a comedy but this shit me up too! :unsure:

I was one of those kids who watched all these films I was not supposed to watch. My parents have taped loads of films off tv, they didn't mind me seeing most of the films. My mum did say I could not watch The Exorcist, I defied her and watched it when I was 10. Scariest thing I had ever seen before and probably ever since.

I also saw Predator when I was young and that scared me but also loved all the action. As someone mentioned Harry and the Hendersons, when Bigfoot wakes up on the roof of the car, it shit me up.

In the Early 80's the BBC2 decided to show The Legend of Boggy Creek in the six O'clock slot that usually showed stuff like Star Trek.

It's a really low budget Documentary style film about a Bigfoot type monster in American swamplands.

I remember the monster had a really mournful howl that was really disturbing.

In one scene someone goes to an outhouse, and the monster smashes through the window to grab him, I didn't use the downstairs loo again for months!

I saw parts of Alien/Aliens when I was 8/9 and they gave me nightmares for years and years and years.

Oh and I made the mistake a bit of Predator 2 (which I was warned against) at around 10. An invisible monster?

Again, nightmares for years.

Watcher in the Woods. Kids film from 1980 by Disney and a PG.

Fucking terrifying.

+1 for that, my good man.

Also gilly mentioned Arachnophobia, never seen it as I was "introduced" to "Kingdom of the Spiders" when I was about 8. Which means I'm arachnophobic now. Thanks for that, mum.

She also let me watch V when it was first broadcast, thinking "he likes that science fiction stuff, this should keep him quiet". Gibbering wreck by the end of the first episode.

I was one of those who was allowed to watch pretty much anything - if my mum wouldn't let me my dad almost always would. And if he didn't I'd find another way. I think I must've been about six when I saw Aliens and that sort of stuff never really scared me, as with a lot of others I was more disturbed by kids films: Return to Oz, Artax in The Never Ending Story, stuff like that.

Two exceptions though:

The Fly II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yc7ygB_LpM

Shit film but this fairly unnecessarily exploitative story strand REALLY fucking upset me when I saw it as a kid and still kinda does even now. I struggle with stuff involving animals far more than with humans for some reason.

Fire in the Sky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzSxzYNfkGA&feature=related

I guess I probably found this scary because it was based on what was claimed to be a true story. And it's a really well done sequence I think, to give the film some credit.

As a teenager/adult The Blair Witch Project, Ringu and the ending of Seven really played on my mind for a while.