Films That Scared You Sh**less as a Kid

InsideOutBoy

I know its a comedy but this shit me up too! :unsure:

Fret no more, it's terrifying. The funny scenes are funny but the scary scenes are utterly horrible. In fact, I'd say it's the scariest gore-horror ever made (childhood fear aside).

Best jump scare ever (people traumatised by AWIL should leave well enough alone):

tumblr_lp5tq52aJ91r0gxalo1_500.gif

First film I can remember that scared that crap out of me was a TV film called Crowhaven farm. The Omen series also scared the living crap out of me. Funnily enough, the video nasties like Evil Dead which were all the craze didn't scare me. And neither did other 80s horror staples like the Friday the 13th and Freddie films.

An American Werewolf in London but not because of anything that had to do with David, it was Jack who scared the absolute shit out of me and it didn't help that I was living in Yorkshire as well at the time because kept thinking that he was going to pop up as soon as I went to sleep. it was actually so bad that I hid my parents copy of the tape.

The thing that scared me the most though was Tales from the Darkside. I absolutely loved going to visit my nan in the summertime because on either Friday or Saturday nights there was usually Friday the 13th the series, and then Tales from the Darkside later on. Even the opening credits used to scare me, to be honest, I got the series on dvd not that long ago and they still do give me a feeling of unease watching them now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxHXjOx77tE

Oh aye. 'The Dip' :(

Just remembered another kids' film that proper freaked me out:

This comment on there says it all: 'yeah.. now I feel like a fool.. this movie scared the shit out of me when I was a kid.. It was dark and scary... this preview now doesn't even seem like the same movie'

I wonder what films going around today will give the forthcoming generation weeks of nightmares? It's hard to think anything can rival the 1980's ability to destroy kid's peaceful nights.

Spielberg probably gave more little kids nightmares, thanks to Jaws and Poltergeist being considered "acceptable", than his subsequent movies ever gave them joy.

I used to watch Jaws from the dining room, peeking at the screen through the open lounge door. My wife still refuses to watch it.

Anyway, I dug up a repressed memory that is in fact my first nightmare:

20091224191223!Librarian_Scare.jpg

God damn...

I watched Ghostbusters at a friend's house and had to stop it and go home afterwards.

So glad I didn't see it at the cinema...

EDIT:

Oh yeah, this bit too...

My dad used to let me watch films like Robocop and The Terminator when i was about 10, maybe younger. But he'd often pause the films and explain how they were all special effects and not real. Made me fasinated with how they were made and actually meant things were not scary to me because he showed me how they were made. For example i remember vividly the lift scene in Total Recall where his hands get chopped off and my dad showing me in slow motion what was real and what was fake hands.

However we didn't finish watching the film and fell asleep on the sofa. About an hour later i woke up and wanted to watch the rest of Total Recall where i was greeted with this scene.

totalrecall15a.jpg

Thats the only thing i can think of that has ever scared me in a movie, even though it looks so silly now. Even now horror films and scary jumps don't bother me like most people.

Although Final Destination 2, whilst not scary did make me think a lot about death and see loads of things that could easily kill me. Im glad i didn't dwell on that too long.

I did think that The Blair Witch Project was a fantastic piece of work. Very unsettling and bordering on plain scary in a few places.

Interesting that the directors were never seen again. Why didnt they become the next Carpenter or Cronenburg?

Well it's all subjective as people are saying, but I think Blair Witch is a good example of sleight of hand. You get the set up for the ending in the first five minutes and it's delivered via exposition. Then there's 80 mins of a ghost hunt. Then at the very end when

your man is discovered standing facing the wall you (okay, I) remember from that initial vox pop interview.

That's a pay off, even if relying on the audience remembering something delivered almost as an aside is a trick that won't work on everyone.

Anyway, my call would be Worzel's terrifying swing towards the camera on his cross in the credits.

I wonder what films going around today will give the forthcoming generation weeks of nightmares? It's hard to think anything can rival the 1980's ability to destroy kid's peaceful nights.

Joe Dante gave a worthy attempt at keeping the 80's creepiness alive recently.

The-Hole_Joe-Dante_FFN11.jpg

(It's from The Hole, by the way)

Wurzel nooooo.

Wurzel Gummidge properly shit me up as a kid. I went through this weird phase of loving, and then being scared shitless of, the Incredible Hulk too. It was the day my parents bought me a wall poster of his scowling self that triggered the switch - his angry snarl played tricks on me during the night and that was it.

In the Early 80's the BBC2 decided to show The Legend of Boggy Creek in the six O'clock slot that usually showed stuff like Star Trek.

It's a really low budget Documentary style film about a Bigfoot type monster in American swamplands.

I remember the monster had a really mournful howl that was really disturbing.

In one scene someone goes to an outhouse, and the monster smashes through the window to grab him, I didn't use the downstairs loo again for months!

I saw it then too, think it was 1981, I was 6 at the time.

A terrifying bit for me was a scene where a kid is walking by the forest and you can hear the monster's howl coming from the trees but can't see it.

I couldn't sleep on my own for ages afterwards!