Agents of Smersh

I saw a link to this on BGG this morning and was initially very, very excited although my excitement soon subsided when I saw the price of this kickstarter project. Still it looks wonderful and some of you may be tempted and have a birthday coming up. It comes with a book of tales which provides 1500 paragraphs of story, the art looks wonderful and it's a co-op game set in the 1960s. The only thing not to like is the international shipping which at $50 and then likely customs on top is going to make this a very expensive game.

Agents of Smersh on Kickstarter

Agents of Smersh on BGG

• Upvote 3

You don't save money doubling up, though, but do get one persons name in the booklet.

1 game + encounter book + card + shipping = $130

2 games + 2 encounter books + 2 cards + name in booklet + shipping = $270

I'd love to get in on it (it's around £80 I guess, all in) but the VAT alone chucks it up to around £100 with extra fees to go on top of that. I'll wait for a UK distributor to pick it up, I guess. Or get Tales Of Arabian Nights on eBay.

If we were in the financial position to do some kind of export service for board games we'd totally do it. We've talked about it before, with regard to one of the games one of you lot wanted just before Christmas, but overseas shipping for large items really is hellish--the two gifts we sent back cost far more to send than to buy--and right now we're not in the position for that kind of outlay, especially with me blowing cash on Kickstarter projects (I didn't realise you could buy them through your Amazon account. How evil is that?). If we ever can, you guys would be the first to know.

Except Jonny Alpha, who's trying to coax my wife to leave me for him. I'm keeping my board game playing wife, thank you very much. :)

I was interested in it, but then I looked at the example encounter card on BGG, and, well... for a narrative game, the prose seemed awfully clunky. If it's indicative of the quality of the writing throughout then I'm not sure I'd really enjoy playing through the game's adventures. I mean, I'm not expecting Tolstoy here, but I'd hoped it'd at least be up to the standard of, well, Tales of The Arabian Nights. I don't know if that sounds incredibly poncy, but it's what's putting me off offering my name up as an interested party.

It isn't of the quality of Arabian Night's prose but I don't think it is painfully awful either. It gets the story across well enough.

Oddly, I think it's trying to have a similar structure to Arabian Nights that makes it not flow as well as it could.

Yeah, I wouldn't call it awful either, but having spent two degrees studying literature (albeit ancient literature) I have a fairly low tolerance for stilted writing - I can cope with it in rulebooks et al., but if it forms an integral part of the game than it tends to spoil things for me. Which is part of the reason it took me years to get the confidence to actually write anything with regularity, as I still tend to look back on whatever I've just written and cringe. I am, and shall always be, a fusspot ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Pele went off and ordered Smersh without telling me :(

But he's still willing to go in on a 3-way of board game deviance if one more person wants to chip in.

But we should warn you that it would only drive the cost down from £90 to £73. You can probably make the same saving if you don't get the encounter book and just use the cards. It works for Pele and I because we're in the midlands and the change can be used for a visit and a pint. I don't know what the postage would be to send out this quite heavy game.