rllmuk
moosegrinder

Sonic All Star Racing Transformed (2012)

Depending on the course the game can cheat. For example in races sometimes you get the best pickups and the computer leaves you alone whilst others it will destroy you. Every restart is random.

A lot of it is just practise, for example I can do a time trial and get a minute lap time but then cannot keep up with my own ghost. So despite you copying a youtuber slight differences in lines or how long you hold a drift for etc can result in seconds of differences.

Also some challenges are just harder than others with little consistency. I will say the early cups I got all the stars where as the later ones are close to half. It’s easier to s rank the first cup than the last. But most A/S challenges take me multiple attempts as you have to be perfect and sometimes game them by holding on to certain pickups (like the glove) for certain stretches especially traffic challenges.

This game really should have awarded stars for XP or time trials etc to give players more options.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, S0L said:

The jumps were noted but quite late in the day. If you avoid tricks you should be able to make them without trouble even at the faster skill levels, but as the vehicle balancing was done up to the wire yeah, with some cars it can be problematic. Changing the tracks wasn't a quick or simple fix as bear in mind we had 7 platforms on the go, one of which was a launch title. As with all games, you attempt to do what you can, but we're not always in charge of the final deadline and lord knows we were doing plenty of additional hours to ship this one. If it helps, accept my personal apology. We always strive to do better.

No need to apologise. I’ve worked in game development and even worked with you guys indirectly (you have great lunches!) so really just wondered how it slipped through. So that makes a lot of sense with doing 7(!) different versions. There’s a few ring races where rings are in odd locations which also made me wonder if some things were a bit hectic in the schedule.

It is one of my favourite games ever made, it must be if I’m still plugging away at it 8 years later! Mario Kart really could learn a lot from this game In not only giving you single player content but also a challenge so it’s a shame that Mario Kart still has the same framework it had in the Snes days.

Thank you also for letting us in on some secrets and behind the scenes stuff, that is always great to read and it’s a shame games companies don’t share more behind the scenes stuff. I know on the games I’ve worked on that some interesting stuff happens and some things would calm down the fan base if they just knew the real answers behind decisions.

Today I found out for example that the Swarm powerup is called Sky Tigers occasionally by the announcer due to an inside joke at the studio which is great as before I read that I couldn’t figure out why it had two names.

• Upvote 2

No worries, the lunches are nice, don't get them too often though!

LOL, yeah the Swarm is sometimes called Sky Tigers in honour of one of the artists who is generally paralysed at the merest sight of them. That's what he calls them. Given he used to be in the Army and do Bomb Disposal, it's a wonder he lived long enough to work on the game.

His best mate did the audio programming so snuck that in as in-joke. He also suggested the commentator complains is you turn the voice volume down...

End of the day, it's people that make games and when they enjoy doing it, you can usually tell :)

I always said if Mario Kart branched out past Mario characters that they'd noticed us and upped their game. So when they put in Link... 

• Upvote 2

I did play this back in the day and thought it was awesome. I was looking at re-playing it again and was wondering what is the best version to get if I have access to PC and Xbox 360/Xbox One X, PS3 etc.

Personally I'd say PC. Its got some extra characters, it'll fly on a modern PC and we snuck in a few extra effects on tracks like Skies of Acardia. Easier to do when you have lots more memory. You can probably pick it up for less than pint on Steam.

Plus you know, 60fps like it should be :)

• Upvote 4

I'm late to this, is team sonic racing as good as transformed? I haven't played either.

I've got back into this as I'm playing more multiplayer online at the moment, and it's the best kart racer on PC.

BUT.... am I crazy, or can you not take on a friend in a GP series? Just doing single races, without a proper record, is much less satisfying.

If I'm not crazy, and the functionality just isn't there, is there another new king of the hill on PC?

Or.... long shot here... is it playable in a sensible way with Remote Play Together?

There is 4 player splitscreen which GP is playable in, along with everything else locally. But GP isn't in online multiplayer as it's got that streamlined ever rolling playlist affair.

But... You're on PC. Snag Parsec and use that with friends to stream and play together as if you were in the same room :)

• Upvote 1

This looks so bad on wii u, I played it last year on max settings via geforce now and can't stand the wii u version in comparison 

Been playing the 360 version of this with the kids so figured I might give career mode another crack. I'm at 130-odd stars. How some of you reached 200 stars is totally beyond me.

• Upvote 1

I haven't played for so long I've forgotten how to do things. I went through Career mode once (I didn't do all of the optional tracks) and then you unlock another difficulty?

4 hours ago, Talvalin said:

I haven't played for so long I've forgotten how to do things. I went through Career mode once (I didn't do all of the optional tracks) and then you unlock another difficulty?

Yes.

On 06/04/2020 at 22:07, bplus said:

I'm late to this, is team sonic racing as good as transformed? I haven't played either.

I prefer transformed by far.

Team feals a bit out of your control at times - you strive to win but often have to help your team to get a larger overall score (as it has a basic racing point system).

So, sure, theres more strategy but it requires you to sometimes lose position and that doesn't feel as fun to me. I just wanted to win. 

Transformed is just pure racing and has much better circuits IMO - plus lots of nods to Sega games of old. If you were to do the perfect kart racing game celebrating a great arcade/console company, you wouldn't go far wrong with this. Its only issue is an issue with most Kart games - it doesn't quite have MK levels of looseness. It actually reminded me a lot of Speedfreeks on the PS1 (which was solid).

To be fair though, TSR is probably the best Sonic based racing game in the racing series so if you like SRT and you see TSR going cheap, its not bad.

• Upvote 1

Transformed is one of the best racing games of all time, could maybe be the best cart racer of all time.  Apart from the difficulty issue (which really only affects your ability to unlock the Daytona/Afterburner/Dreamcast vehicle, and only comes into play when you're 98% done anyway) it is nigh on perfect.  It should have a much higher profile because it beats the competition (even Mario Kart) hands down.  It's a far better single player experience than Mario Kart 8.

The reason I banged on about the unlocks so much in previous threads is because the game is outstanding, and so close to being the absolute perfect cart racer, that it drove me up the wall trying to get that last unlock.  But I can't recommend the game enough, it's fantastic.

• Upvote 6

I've recently got back into it on PC in glorious 4k@60 and I have to agree, I love Mario Kart but I think this is just that little bit better, the courses, the handling, the flying and boating bits are all just superb. A real shame that there hasn't been a new iteration this gen. 

• Upvote 1

Mario Kart 8 is a pretty awful single player game, albeit a wonderful multiplayer one.

Racing Transformed is genuinely superb single player.

• Upvote 2

I think the main thing that elevates this game is the music is so damn good.