The Kickstarter Group Thread

michael

• 2 weeks later...

Was it here or boardgamegeek that someone posted about the Wikipedia error in Rising Sun? Basically they got their Japanese history from Wikipedia and when they were copy/pasting someone had made up some Japanese feudal lord who made it into the game. 

Would love to play it but there is no way I could smuggle it, or the cost, past my wife.

• 2 months later...

A miniatures Kickstarter at a rather smaller level than the standard headline grabbers, but having really liked the handful of miniatures I've bought from Stonehaven Miniatures, I want to draw people's attention to this small set of 28mm scale adventurers.

If you like characterful miniatures covering a range of classes and races with an actual meaningful range of heights (gnomes are tiny! Half-orcs are... not), and particularly if you have a taste for the rough edges of hand-sculpted, pewter-cast miniatures, I can only recommend their stuff. And even better, at Kickstarter prices you can get a great set of figures for a very decent price, even with the fun of postage and potential customs fees.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was taking a look at the new CMON Kickstarter for Project Elite today, when a thought hit me. They're planning to distribute all EU shipments via the UK, but delivery isn't scheduled until after Brexit. I'm not interested in backing, but I couldn't see any mention of this potentially catastrophic customs disaster on the campaign page, so I sent them a question:

Hi,

You mention that EU orders will dispatch from the UK, but this project is scheduled to fulfil after the UK has left the EU in March. Do you have any contingency plans for potential issues involving customs etc.?

Thanks,

revlob

They sent a reply not long afterwards:

Hello, 
We are aware of Brexit and have several plans in place for when/if they do not have this resolved. 
Thank you

Glad they have that sorted then!

In fairness, if I can't expect our government to have the slightest clue how Brexit will impact our custom arrangements with the EU, I can't expect a board game publisher to have any idea either. But it has completely put me off the idea of backing any campaigns until we have some idea how shipments of critical medicines adequate food board games will be affected, and I wonder if I'm not the only one. Surprised to see no mention of this in their FAQ.

Absolutely loved everything about the original campaign they did and stupidly only put in a token pledge of support. This time I'm all in because not only is it a proper son and dad project, it's just charming as hell :)

I am falling way out of love with Kickstarter right now and Deep Madness and games like it sort of embody everything that is wrong with it right now. 

Every day Facebook serves me some ad for yet a new Kickstarter campaign selling yet another box of miniatures and about 90% of them are based on Lovecraft. The latest (non-Lovecraft so I'll give them that) featured a ridiculous CGI trailer that looked like it was selling a videogame and it just feels like another act of arbitrage where the product is just a vehicle to eke out profits from an algorithmic ROI-based ad campaign. Just a bunch of data analysts working out how much they can spend on ads to generate enough revenue to pay a few artists to design a few plastic baubles that are cheap enough to manufacture that the entire enterprise delivers a financial return that makes the endeavour worthwhile. And it feels like these soulless campaigns are crowding out better-designed or older games and creating an arms race that rewards glossy presentation over enjoyable game design.

Or maybe it's just me.

Nah I have an issue with 90% of miniature based games in that they are appearance + amount of plastic over mechanics and innovation. My test is if you removed the minis and made them counters would the game still be interesting and the answer is mostly always no. Strangely anything based on a video game IP falls into this category. 

I don't know about all of that @Tourist, but miniature-heavy board games don't do much for me at all. I can appreciate a good sculpt, but I feel like a lot of these games have been strung together with the very flimsiest of rules and mechanics, all seen before. It leads to me being very dismissive of any game featuring piles of plastic minis and a ridiculous number of stretch goals.

I'm not much of a minis boardgamer either, and KS does seem to aim itself more at that end of the market, but the whole KS model does seem to encourage style over substance. Also, if you're getting the money before your design is complete where is the incentive to ensure you've made a good solid game? Not saying that's true of every KS project mind.

Normally I don't give a fuck about minis either but this has ridiculously good word of mouth. It's a second printing so it's not like taking a punt blindly which has backfired on me in the past, mainly on non-minis games. Zombiecide Black Plague turned out well thank christ but I've sold nearly all of my Kickstarted games. Of course I've got Lords of Hellas, Dinosaur Island and Racoon Tycoon still to come, so what do I know?

Yokohama was another excellent Kickstarter success without minis to be seen anywhere. Kickstarter has many varied board games of all types, it may just seem like there are a lot of projects that involve minis because they always get a lot of exposure. It's not my ideal medium for buying new board games as I would prefer they existed on shelves before deciding to buy or so you can try them, but Kickstarter has made some games possible that wouldn't have been made if designers had to rely on publishers to get them out, and those designers are responsible for probably some of the best board games released in the last few years.