IGNORED

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Broker

Speaking of which, what's a good way to make GMP fast ? Most of the time I'm barely over the 1 million mark and I'm at the point where no development costs less than 200 000ish and often way more than that so I don't get to have that many wonderful toys.

Sell your resources. I usually find I have an abundance of them and can easily generate 4-5 million GMP selling off just a fraction of what I have.

Any suggestions for weapon customisations? I figured out that it lets me get a silenced tranquiliser rifle far earlier than you'd be able to with normal R&D, but aside from that and the occasional cosmetic tweak I'm a bit lost.

I've got great value of a noob tube on my assault rifle. You can get one fairly quickly, the M4 (or whatever it's called in game, it's the gun you start with) allows for an underbarrel attachment to be attached after a couple of upgrades and the second stage of the Fakel grenade launcher allows it to used as an underbarrel attachment. You should have a high enough R&D and enough cash by the time you unlock the gunsmith.

I've got great value of a noob tube on my assault rifle. You can get one fairly quickly, the M4 (or whatever it's called in game, it's the gun you start with) allows for an underbarrel attachment to be attached after a couple of upgrades and the second stage of the Fakel grenade launcher allows it to used as an underbarrel attachment. You should have a high enough R&D and enough cash by the time you unlock the gunsmith.

Nice one, I was wondering when/if I'd be able to do that.

I did the first Subsistence mission (Mission 32, C2W) last night. Absolutely superb. It totally changes the feel of the game starting with NOTHING. I knew not having silenced weapons would be a big change but I hadn't realised how much I rely on NVGs, thrown magazines, decoys and cardboard boxes. Stripped of all your gadgets, you feel more like you're in a survival game and have to use whatever comes to hand.

For example, the guns are only really useful for holding people up, until you need to go loud, of course. Then it dawns on your you're supposed to destroy radio equipment, but have no explosives. So you have to scavenge whatever you can. I was wondering whether I could just spam the base with a mortar from a checkpoint down the road, but in the end just tried to sneak in, inevitably got into a firefight and then hit the comms equipment with Killer Bee missiles looted from soldiers and, ultimately, with some grenades I found. I then wiped out the rest of the base using my remaining grenades on the heavies and a Soviet rifle on the rest. Awesome stuff.

Nice one, I was wondering when/if I'd be able to do that.

I did the first Subsistence mission (Mission 32, C2W) last night. Absolutely superb. It totally changes the feel of the game starting with NOTHING. I knew not having silenced weapons would be a big change but I hadn't realised how much I rely on NVGs, thrown magazines, decoys and cardboard boxes. Stripped of all your gadgets, you feel more like you're in a survival game and have to use whatever comes to hand.

For example, the guns are only really useful for holding people up, until you need to go loud, of course. Then it dawns on your you're supposed to destroy radio equipment, but have no explosives. So you have to scavenge whatever you can. I was wondering whether I could just spam the base with a mortar from a checkpoint down the road, but in the end just tried to sneak in, inevitably got into a firefight and then hit the comms equipment with Killer Bee missiles looted from soldiers and, ultimately, with some grenades I found. I then wiped out the rest of the base using my remaining grenades on the heavies and a Soviet rifle on the rest. Awesome stuff.

Nice one. I did that mission without leaving the helicopter and just using the mini gun :)

I did it with just a few bullets into the transmitter from a gun wrestled off one of the guards at a nearby outpost.

I particularly liked the subsistence convoy mission. Same approach basically, mug a guard alone the way and then create a big distraction in the form of a

helicopter called in - not for groundstrikes, just as a massive distraction which stopped the lead tank, allowing it to be wormholed away and the guys in the truck came piling out of their vehicle and easy prey. The second tank was stationery behind the truck. So, simples :lol:

Feeling chuffed with figuring out...

...the commonality in the outbreak on my second attempt. I'm wall-eyed from picking out the vulnerable troops though. MB has a bit of a skeleton crew now though, Kikongo really caught on. (Troops can learn each other's languages, apparently.)

I'm sure I saw someone with a red (rather than gold) bar for their abilities on the analyser; what does that mean?

I did that mission without leaving the helicopter and just using the mini gun :)

Genius.

Mission 32 for me was slowly and methodically stunning troops and fultoning them in the dark until I could use some grenades and launchers I found without causing a fuss.

Subsistence is really great, it recalls those classic action movies where the hero starts out with nothing and must improvise like Die Hard or Under Siege.

He turned out to be a boaster, like half of my guys these days. I'm beginning to suspect it's the enemy HQ responding to my remorseless fultoning of everything that isn't nailed down.

Are boasters actually rubbish or are they still quite good? I have a tonne of boasters but most of my platforms are up to around level 50, surely an S+ boaster will still be decent?

I got stuck on a post-Mission 31 side-op last night:

retrieve the Man on Fire's body.

I cleared the supply post of personnel looking for it and turned the place upside down. None of the guards provided any help. Did I miss something obscure? I did get the 'mission critical thing found' jingle in the south-west corner of the base but it wasn't obvious what I'd found.

I keep forgetting I can hit L1 for a hint

I got stuck on a post-Mission 31 side-op last night:

retrieve the Man on Fire's body.

I cleared the supply post of personnel looking for it and turned the place upside down. None of the guards provided any help. Did I miss something obscure? I did get the 'mission critical thing found' jingle in the south-west corner of the base but it wasn't obvious what I'd found.

I keep forgetting I can hit L1 for a hint

Dude, it's right there out in the open - do you remember where the armored vehicle and jeep ends up in mission 10? With that courtyard in the middle of the actual base bit - right there in the middle of it. If you approach it from the back, you can get it done in a few mins.

Yeah me too, I didn't expect it to be laid out in the middle of a courtyard and I was banking on DD doing the hard work and sniffing him out as per usual. Cleared the whole base, did lap after lap and still couldn't find him. Probably didn't help I did it at night.

BTW the tips regarding the grenade launcher were really helpful. I'm now pairing my Serious FYT Suit with the a launcher-equipped, 2-8x scoped assault rifle, an actual rocket launcher, all the fun placeable toys, and the tranq gun for flavour; it made the boss fights a real pleasure. (Well, that and DW.)

I spent about half an hour this morning knocking out everyone in the mansion at the top of the Africa map, managing to avoid raising the alarm in a plate-spinning exercise of keeping everyone asleep, tranquing investigating soldiers and moving them outside, then having to move them again because of an overhanging roof. It was worth it for all the A++ soldiers.

Then I vaulted over a bannister and died :facepalm:

I'm going back in tonight with a silenced, bean-bag firing shotgun. Should be fun.

I love that mansion and the jungle. One of my favourite locations in the game.

Been using Quiet a bit more recently to bring her bond level up (been DD all the way since I got him) and unlocked the XOF uniform, I feel much less creepy now. She is fucking terrible at scouting (only picks up about half of the soldiers at any outpost) but the 'cover fire' is really fun. Lets me skulk around the base in peace to the sounds of helmets being shot off.

Speaking of, the 'cover me' command is one of the few times Kiefer really sounds wrong. He sounds like a 12 year old playing COD online.

I wasn't feeling this at all and haven't played it for the last few weeks but had a good session last night and can safely say after the

extract emmerich

mission it's totally and utterly won me over. Every mission since has just got better and better and I lost about 4 hours in one sitting last night.

It also helps I've unlocked a couple more buddies and stun weapons and well it's scratching that Rambo II simulator itch very nicely indeed

Ha, this is exactly me, I had a funny feeling it would be that mission when I read that! Hadn't touched in ages then done that mission the other night and I am straight back in the groove. Cant wait to get back to an extended session on it.

I hate when life gets in way and I leave a game for so long it feels like a chore to go back and learn it again, thankfully I seem to have got over that bump with this game.

Mission 22 is a tutorial for setting them up. The FOB is an extra Mother Base that can hold additional staff, generates more income, resources etc. but can be invaded by online players to steal the staff and resources there. You can drop in and repel the attack.

Online side-ops complete in real time rather than play time so it's a good idea to set some going before you switch off the game. Otherwise they're very similar.