IGNORED

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Broker

Just now, Punished Smitty said:

Isn't it just hilarious that this intensely silly series of games really does manage to really fundamentally nail some 'big' stuff along the way?

It's one of the defining characteristics of Kojima's work (and to an extent, a lot of Japanese media), for sure. You can't imagine Full Metal Jacket with a goofy section right through the middle where they give one of the recruits a birthday cake and then they run off to rescue Stanley Kubrick.

Just got this with all the trimmings for under a tenner on PSN. Man, this is one fun MGS. Playing the prologue atm, please tell me the whole game is this good. Proper cat and mouse stuff.

I finished four and enjoyed it but this seems a lot more fun, perhaps forgiving? I'm stealthing when I can but then shooting shit up when I come on top, feels a fair bit different to four, in a good way.

Feel like a fucking proper hero as well, had a few drinks, no-one gets left behind. No-one.

Looks shit-hot too, considering it had to scale to the previous machines.

Tenner well spent. 

You're going to feel ripped off even at the price you paid.

Picture a skeleton crew finishing off the game while Kojima sits with nothing to do for several months, as Konami hastily smashes parts of it together to make the release date.

It's missing an entire 1/3 of the game, and the final half of what we got is a fucking dumpster fire.

I mean, the plot is pretty fucking atrocious anyway - but at least it would've went out on something of a high.

Also, the game makes fucking OCELOT, of all people, the most boring fuck on Earth. HOW.

6 hours ago, Meh said:

Picture a skeleton crew finishing off the game while Kojima sits with nothing to do for several months, as Konami hastily smashes parts of it together to make the release date.

It's missing an entire 1/3 of the game, and the final half of what we got is a fucking dumpster fire.

I mean, the plot is pretty fucking atrocious anyway - but at least it would've went out on something of a high.

Also, the game makes fucking OCELOT, of all people, the most boring fuck on Earth. HOW.

Yet it's still the best game of the last decade. 

What do you mean by prologue @amc? The hospital bit is pure shit and nothing at all like the rest of the game. 

It was great @Pob but there are a few other from the last decade I'd put above it.  But not from its genre. 

But there aren't many 'make-your-own-80s-action-movie' games to compete, to be fair. :)

Its quite different from the old ones, but ultimately it's like a cross between the best James Bond game, and the best Commando (Arnie) game.  Fucking stellar. 

The measure of a good stealth game imo is not the feeling of 'perfecting' a stage/mission, its the feeling you get when things get out of hand, the mitigation methods at your disposal.  

MGS V is probably the best 'thinking on your feet' simulator ever. 

It does lack the batshit anime nonsense from the older games though. Which *is* a bit of a loss. 

I felt more like I actually *was* Snake than ever in this one though. :wub:

I reinstalled it because of this thread and roamed around Afghanistan doing some remaining Side Ops. I still don't get how you're supposed to do those high level tank missions, after getting wrecked repeatedly I thought maybe I should try and use my dozen stack of tanks sitting back at base rather than a rocket launcher and C4, and summoned it in and it took a single tank shell and burst into flames, while the enemy ones can survive a dozen.

It's also a bit more incomprehensible than ever - apparently I'd been robbed multiple times while uninstalled? And once while playing? Despite not invading anyone and only trying the event that explicitly said you wouldn't be open to retaliation? There's now Weeklies and Events and Ladders/Leagues that earn you a new free currency that you can use to redeem for stuff and some new online focused stuff that can be sped up with the microtransaction currency. I guess this kind of allows you to skip the Peace Walker "running high level missions multiple times to farm staff" bit, but now everyone is A+ and I'm still Lv 50 and there's Lv80 gear available - I guess this involves FOBs? It's already a game that had a few too many systems at work.

EDIT: Apparently I'm fourth place in a league without ever having done anything? And have 200,000 points to spend.

9 hours ago, Meh said:

5 hours ago, amc said:

Oh dear.

This is some seriously maddening horseshit, and yes amc, ignore him. 

Meh has essentially compressed Neogaf/Youtube comments into some sort of general consensus and revised it here. It's utter shit and properly sad that it's so wide spread. All MGS Facebook posts are essentially taken over with "give us Chapter 3" comments.

The first 30 missions are the main chunk of the game, and it all takes place in pretty much the best open world, systems driven sandbox ever created. All that off the cuff action you mentioned? It has it in spades, and my final play time of the whole game was around 75 hours because I couldn't get enough of it. 

The stuff that follows is more of a remix "Subsistence" type vibe, and the game does have a satisfying conclusion. I don't think meh got to it. 

What did happen, was Konami released a pre-vis demo of some cut content and called it "Mission 51". This stuff adds nothing to the game or the story and ends up in the same place as the normal ending, ergo it was cut. 

3 hours ago, Pob said:

What do you mean by prologue @amc? The hospital bit is pure shit and nothing at all like the rest of the game. 

Ground Zeroes. The game said it was best to play it first when I launched it. I actually played through the hospital level on 360 a while back, that's probably why I was wondering if the game was mostly along the lines of GZ and not the opening of TPP.

Glad to hear it stays brilliant

6 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

This is some seriously maddening horseshit, and yes amc, ignore him. 

Meh has essentially compressed Neogaf/Youtube comments into some sort of general consensus and revised it here. It's utter shit and properly sad that it's so wide spread. All MGS Facebook posts are essentially taken over with "give us Chapter 3" comments.

The first 30 missions are the main chunk of the game, and it all takes place in pretty much the best open world, systems driven sandbox ever created. All that off the cuff action you mentioned? It has it in spades, and my final play time of the whole game was around 75 hours because I couldn't get enough of it. 

The stuff that follows is more of a remix "Subsistence" type vibe, and the game does have a satisfying conclusion. I don't think meh got to it. 

What did happen, was Konami released a pre-vis demo of some cut content and called it "Mission 51". This stuff adds nothing to the game or the story and ends up in the same place as the normal ending, ergo it was cut. 

It sucks, though. You've got this massive environment that's an utter bore to traverse. It's painfully easy if you send Quiet in to kill fucking everything that moves - except for the few bits in which she can't.

I never finished the game - I just couldn't stand the missions anymore - and I do admit that some of what I've typed is based on information from elsewhere - but you can't deny that the story is atrocious, and the game utterly falls apart once you've taken down a certain boss.

The whole cutscenes-as-tapes thing was unreal, too. Some of them are clearly meant to be actual lengthy story bits in cutscene form, but... well, yeah. Cut to bits.

The love for the game on this forum is weird to me.

They were never meant to be cutscenes. It's exactly the storytelling structure from Peace Walker. 

It sounds like you're more knowledgeable about the internet moaning about this game than how it actually plays. 

But why not? I mean, there's no need to make things harder for yourself in the game. Just send her in, and job done. She's there to be used, so I used her.

But aside from the lack of anti-Quiet enemies in the game (at least for a long while), the actual camps and outposts throughout were just kind of dull. The stupid helicopter taking 5,000 years to ferry you around was ridiculous, too. I'm in the fucking helicopter, and for some reason the game has forgotten it's a game, so I have to sit and wait for no reason.

I felt no motivation to continue in the end. The plot was - as I keep mentioning - fucking terrible, and I just wasn't enjoying the game anymore. It felt like I wasn't taking part in an epic journey as Big Boss, but stuck in some shitty VR missions.

I totally agree with Meh, this is metal gear in name only, no ott curscenes, no epic music, halfway through it's like they spliced another party's game onto it, then it starts getting moderately good and it abruptly ends. 

Basically they give you a sandbox with a beginning and end of a mission as they couldn't even be arses fleshing it out