Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Broker

MGSV is the only game I've played in recent years that came remotely close to feeling like one of my favourite games of all time, Far Cry 2.  I love traversing the world of MGSV in my jeep with wolfbro by my side whilst listening to 80s hits before laying down some smackdown.  The games story obviously isn't as fleshed out as it could be towards the end but I still loved what was there gameplay wise, mostly because fucking about in missions and using lots of various options was always entertaining.

What this thread bump did remind me of is the mod Infinite Heaven mod on PC which I've been wanting to try for ages, maybe one day I'll actually get around to that

http://www.nexusmods.com/metalgearsolidvtpp/mods/45/?

http://www.nexusmods.com/metalgearsolidvtpp/articles/5/?

• 4 weeks later...

Just seen an update to this on steam (maybe old news to some)

http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=287700

Metal Gear Solid 5's next update lets you play as Revolver Ocelot

Konami is gearing up to push out another update for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. Yes, you read that right. The August 2017 update is set to implement functionalities for the Wormhole Generator and add new swimsuits for your FOB soldiers, but most notably, it'll give you the ability to play as Revolver Ocelot in FOB infiltration missions. 

As for what Ocelot brings to the table, he has slightly increased camouflage, in addition to faster reload and draw weapon speeds than other soldiers. He can also equip one Tornado-6 pistol in each hand, which I'm sure is more effective, but it also makes him look way cooler. And yes, he can ricochet bullets into marked enemies. You can see this demonstrated in the images below.

If you want your defending and infiltrating soldiers to look extra fly this summer, then get ready: swimsuits are on the way. Both swimsuits, the Goblin and Megalodon, increase your movement speed but don't offer any camouflage effect—when you look this good, you want to be seen. Unfortunately, Mother Base staff can't wear them. 

Now, I know it's hard to care about the Wormhole Generator after talking about Ocelot and swimsuits, but I have to. The Wormhole Generator can now automatically extract players in critical situations, and opponents will have a harder time dealing with them. They can no longer be removed, in addition to being harder to destroy.

You can check out all of the update notes and images here.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain released almost two years ago—time flies—but it's cool to see Konami continuing to support the game. This update in particular adds some pretty cool stuff, which is surprising for a couple reasons. One, it's been a while since anything of major note came to Metal Gear Solid V. And two, it's easy to forget that Konami still cares about its games.

Despite the bad rap Konami has made for itself, especially when it comes to Metal Gear Solid and its creator Hideo Kojima in particular, the publisher is set to release a new game in the series next year. It's an upcoming survival-action game that features zombies, and according to PC Gamer's Tim Clark, it's actually quite enjoyable.

Revolver Ocelot's ricochet process
Goblin Suit
Goblin Suit
Megalodon Suit
Megalodon Suit

On 08/07/2017 at 11:21, carlospie said:

I totally agree with Meh, this is metal gear in name only, no ott curscenes, no epic music, halfway through it's like they spliced another party's game onto it, then it starts getting moderately good and it abruptly ends. 

Basically they give you a sandbox with a beginning and end of a mission as they couldn't even be arses fleshing it out

Couldn't agree more with this. Disappointment of the decade for me. It's like they made a MGS game for people who didn't like MGS. And no Hayter was a terrible terrible mistake. He was MGS for me, even moreso than Kojima

• 2 months later...

I started this on New Year's Eve... finally finished the story last night. I've only had a few hours gaming time a week this year and this has been pretty much the only thing I've played - it's easily sustained me through almost an entire year!

At the glacial speed that I'm getting through games I'm way behind on this gen, so I've got Bloodborne and a pile of other acclaimed games waiting to play, and yet I'm not sure I'm entirely ready to move away from MGSV. There are still weapons I want to develop, missions to complete, cassette tapes to listen to...

• 4 months later...

After I spent hours trying to unlock some less humiliating clothes for Quiet, I’ve just got to the cutscene where she frolics around in the rain with Snake. Now, I not only think this game is shit, but Hideo Kojima should be on some kind of register. 

3 minutes ago, K said:

After I spent hours trying to unlock some less humiliating clothes for Quiet, I’ve just got to the cutscene where she frolics around in the rain with Snake. Now, I not only think this game is shit, but Hideo Kojima should be on some kind of register. 

:D

Whilst I appreciate boobs as much as the next man, the level Kojima takes it to in his games is seriously creepy/cringeworthy.

What worries me is that they said Death Stranding will have a main female character. If Kojima can't restrain himself (and why would he now he runs his own studio), then a scantily clad wank fantasy woman could undermine all the good will its generated so far.

On the plus side, they're going down the route of modelling/capturing real actors for Death Stranding, so you'd hope a female lead wouldn't stand for that kind of treatment.

The annoying thing is Kojima's shown he can do good female characters without going too far down the titillation route. Even though sometimes the way those characters act are pretty flirty/stupid. Sniper Wolf and Naomi in MGS1, Raiden's missus in MGS2, The Boss in MGS3 is the best female character (or maybe best character full stop) in any of his games. Even Meryl was ok in MGS1 and MGS4. But for each of those you can list two or three facepalm females, from S&M ninja girls to bikini-clad soldiers or sexy seductresses.

1 hour ago, Alan Stock said:

On the plus side, they're going down the route of modelling/capturing real actors for Death Stranding, so you'd hope a female lead wouldn't stand for that kind of treatment.

Stefanie Joosten was captured for Quiet in MGSV:

34CEAED3-E201-4BF1-BCCC-6920F4A0772F.thumb.jpeg.c203847cdce2663850739f580f741acc.jpeg

Oh dear.

I don't know whether she saw the concept art before or after accepting the role (from Forbes interview):

"Of course, I was surprised to see Quiet's outfit at first," actress Stefanie Joosten (who plays Quiet in the game) said during the aforementioned Q&A. "But, you know, it fits in the Metal Gear universe, I think. I don't think I'm allowed to say a lot about this, but, well, Mr. Kojima has his reasons for deciding why Quiet [is] wearing what she's wearing.

"Players will just have to look forward to that."

Kojima just said to the controversy that he wanted her to be sexy, not erotic, and the clothing had the plot purpose too. Of course that didn't go down well with a lot of people. But knowing this, all bets are off for Death Stranding.

An interesting question is how much control actors have over how they appear in the game (or their character is portrayed). Joonsten doesn't seem that bothered or she would have made more of a scene when the Quiet controversy flared up. Other actors may not feel the same way.

Part of the demands of the gaming voice actors' strike last year was to be given more transparency from devs about the roles they would play. Often NDA's meant they had to choose roles knowing nothing about the character they were voicing. It's similar to the controversy about using CGI or imagery of dead actors/musicians in new films (see Rogue One etc) when you have to debate if the actor would have ever wanted that. 

40 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

And wasn't there something about them shamelessly releasing a Quiet action figure with soft, squeezable breasts after all the controversy had already flared up? Fantastic game, but the way Quiet was handled was just embarrassing.

Just checked eBay but can't see any. PMs very welcome, cheers. 

• 3 months later...
On 16/03/2018 at 18:12, Mr. Gerbik said:

And wasn't there something about them shamelessly releasing a Quiet action figure with soft, squeezable breasts after all the controversy had already flared up? Fantastic game, but the way Quiet was handled was just embarrassing.

Just finished another replay. Fantastic is definitely the word to describe this game. It's stealth done to perfection. But yes, there's just no getting past Quiet, is there? I love the character, but her outrageous sexualisation is horrendous. Like you say, embarrassing. 

That aside, this is a genuinely brilliant game. 

1 hour ago, carlospie said:

I always wonder how bat shit crazy any dlc would have been, so bizarre there was none at all 

I think funding and goodwill had long expired, else they would have finished the actual game. It's very very ripe for DLC under different conditions, though. Just a marvellous playground. I adored it until Capcom moved the goalposts on the FOB stuff so many times that they exhausted my own goodwill and commitment to the game. 

1 hour ago, Stanshall said:

I think funding and goodwill had long expired, else they would have finished the actual game. It's very very ripe for DLC under different conditions, though. Just a marvellous playground. I adored it until Capcom moved the goalposts on the FOB stuff so many times that they exhausted my own goodwill and commitment to the game. 

You mean Konami?

I read a post somewhere (don't think it was here) that said how great a random mode would be, where you're dropped into a random level with a loadout chosen for you and with new objectives to complete. Great idea and would have made the game pretty much infinite.

Definitely due for another playthough of this and Ground Zeroes.

It's certainly my favourite game of the generation. I've never enjoyed mucking about in an open world so much. Will have to go back again one day.

Quiet was an embarrassment though, and I would have preferred to have a proper offline mode that didn't cripple your ability to generate funds.

• 2 weeks later...