Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Broker

Bit strange this given how old the game is but there's been a update to play as quiet. 

http://www.shacknews.com/article/106334/metal-gear-solid-5-phantom-pain-update-introduces-quiet-as-a-playable-character

The game's July 2018 update version 1.17, which is the first update made to the game in nearly a year, will for the first time allow fans to play as a character other than Snake or any custom soldiers or hired crew members. Quiet is essentially an all-new hero, and that title comes with it several unique abilities — Quiet is able to move more quickly than other character, jump higher and over longer distances, plus dash to rapidly close distance between enemies. She's also able to remain still to temporarily increase her stealth, and her steady hands should make for easier sniping. However, her uniform and head options cannot be changed — she needs all of her skin exposed for a reason, after all.

Assuming the update has really been done to further remove Kojima stuff? no confirmation yet though. 

It’s almost as if when they sacked Kojima and his whole team they forgot about two guys sat in a broom cupboard and since then they’ve quietly been cranking out new features at the rate of one every two years. 

16 hours ago, K said:

How does adding Quiet to the FOB missions equate to removing Kojima’s stuff from the game? To remove Kojima from MGS V, you’d need to delete the whole thing. 

This is a random update to a 3 year old game and konami want to diminish any credit he takes, so it wouldn't be shocking at this point considering they've already removed his name from most things.

• 2 months later...

Going through this again. Such a fantastic game, even if it doesn't feel like a proper bonkers MGS game, and the quality suffers towards the end. I'm going through it for the second time after having spent around 100 hrs. on it three years ago.

Was driving back home when I saw 2 containers on the side of the road and I immediately thought about Fulton extracting them. Been playing MGS PP just a bit too much again it seems.

9 minutes ago, CrispinFoetus said:

despite being a limited open world, it truly is open for experimentation.

This is where I think they nailed it. Smaller area and amped up the possibilities and approaches you could take with all the gear you could use.  Here's your objective and have at it.

Still the best open world experience for me by a mile.

I think what made it for me was that pretty much everything I tried just worked how I expected it to, and despite all the different possibilities it almost always hung together coherently. And the the Fulton and scanner systems take a lot of the faff out of stealth. Plus it manages to provide plenty of opportunities for slapstick humour, which often seem to have great timing even though they aren't scripted.

It's an amazing achievement.

47 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

If I start this again am I able to skip the first hour in the hospital? As much as I loved it first time through the idea of going through it again does fill me with dread somewhat. 

Nope. I wasn't crazy about it myself. Try Kung Fu Master instead.

I really need to replay this. It’s a masterpiece.

I bought the official strategy guide, and it’s superb. Most importantly it brings to the fore the sheer volume of complex interlocking components that the game builds its magic out of. Staggering stuff.

On ‎09‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 01:03, Keyboard Koala said:

Was driving back home when I saw 2 containers on the side of the road and I immediately thought about Fulton extracting them. Been playing MGS PP just a bit too much again it seems.

And today I was in this huge industrial complex full of hangars (were they repair trains), and the first thing I did was to look for places to place C4 to disable comms and security. I wish I was joking.

I'm almost at the end of MGS PP though. I hope I don't get any withdrawal symptoms.

This has to be the most marmite game of all time. Some love it, I wish I did, to be it’s the most fetid half baked turd in history. There are some very interesting YouTube videos about why it’s so divisive, I watch 3 streamers on twitch who only play the mgs games again and again in succession and they absolutely hate it, which makes the marathons quite entertaining. 

Peace Walker and whether you enjoyed it seems to be the key. Those coming from MGS3/4 might be a little WTAF, which is understandable.

For me, MGS Peace Walker and MGS5 represent a shift from a cinematic vision to a serialised, highly polished TV show-like version of MGS.

Perhaps a reflection of the times?

Peace Walker would have made for a great Wii port (SD, but with a modern front end and presentation.) 

Maybe more people would have been exposed to it if it was released on Wii.

I reinstalled Sony PSP firmware and bought the game the day of release

It's excellent, pretty much perfect with a 360 controller if you haven't played it.

I bought the MGS HD collection on PS3, and also Peace Walker on Xbox.

Totally agree. I effin' loved Peace Walker tbh.

Peace Walker being the Sahelanthropus of the series. 

Well, I like every Kojima directed MGS game. Except for MGS 2. Wasn't a big fan of that, and it was responsible for not playing another MGS game til around the release of PW. After which I went through MGS SE, and MGS GotP. Both of which I really liked again. So, for me, MGS 2 really is the black sheep of the family.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that you point that out, I really would not have been surprised if it was deliberately written in an open-ended way on the assumption that they could keep dropping new locations as deluxe expansions (like that deleted final mission) and new missions in old locations as smaller DLC. But we will probably never know.

3 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Now that you point that out, I really would not have been surprised if it was deliberately written in an open-ended way on the assumption that they could keep dropping new locations as deluxe expansions (like that deleted final mission) and new missions in old locations as smaller DLC. But we will probably never know.

The "cut content" theories that a lot of the Neo-Gaf/Resetera internet lot like to band about just will not be the case. Their idea of what cut content is is more in line with film-making, there's no way that the didn't cut stuff like "Mission 51" at the last minute, which is exactly why all the footage is in pre-vis. The cut it, because it added nothing to the story. 

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one who didn’t get on with this? I must have played 20-odd hours and the missions were reasonably engaging and the core gameplay was fun, but there was way too much hoofing about, way too many side-missions and the expectation that I should spend time exploring the base and managing the organisation felt onerous. 

The amount of time spent playing vs story progression made eventually wore me down and I put it to the bottom of my pile with a post-it attached that read “to finish later”. I just never felt like I was making sufficient progress to feel satisfied with the time investment I was making. 

I know it might seem churlish to complain that I didn’t like it because it was too much game, but there it is. 

Also - MASSIVE disappointment that Snake’s real voice was absent. I was really shocked to learn that David Hayter was asked to audition for the role every single game. With so much spoken dialogue he WAS Snake - which makes even less sense that they chucked him for a Hollywood personality when Snake was reduced to an almost non-speaking role in MGS V. 

5 minutes ago, Popo said:

Also - MASSIVE disappointment that Snake’s real voice was absent. I was really shocked to learn that David Hayter was asked to audition for the role every single game. With so much spoken dialogue he WAS Snake - which makes even less sense that they chucked him for a Hollywood personality when Snake was reduced to an almost non-speaking role in MGS V. 

True enough. Hayter is Snake. Sutherland was just riding the 24 popularity methinks.

Oh, and that utterly tedious final assault level. By jove, what a drag. Thank god I managed an air strike with the final tanks.