Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Broker

15 hours ago, carlospie said:

No he was Given a no discussion clause 

the trouble with mgs5, apart from it being utter shite, was that zeroes showed us how good the game could be in a tight, structured environment. GZ was awesome. MGS5 ignored all that was good and put it in a huge sandbox, lacking any of the structure or planning

As a result we end up spending 4 hours talking about a hamburger and sitting in an awkward truck ride with skull face instead of having the time of our lives 

im a huge mgs fan, 1 2 3 4, love them all. But this doesn’t deserve the MGS name, it’s a game that doesn’t know its own identity, forgot its origins and got lost in its own development. WALBAKIAAAAAA

prime example. Lord of the flies files shown in the game, lord of flies cutscenes shown, shown a tank we never get to drive, build a base we never use, grow horns that do nothing, just an endless list 

286820_1.jpg

On 05/02/2019 at 12:06, BadgerFarmer said:

If someone decides to ignore all that and do things in the most pedestrian way possible, it's on them not the game.

I think this is me. At the start of the mission the game gives you a chance to choose your loadout, with many options available - but all I really wanted was to sneak about, get caught, shoot some fools, rinse repeat; so I always chose the same basic kit and the dog. Also, you’d get a mission and not really know the terrain, enemy capability, area layout, etc. so it never really felt like I was making informed decisions about the gear. Also also, the difference between one rifle and the other was imperceptible to me, so I never really used most of them. 

Building on that, the way one researches equipment at the base, builds the base, recruits troops; I couldn’t be arsed with any of it, I just wanted to sneak about as per my earlier comment. So the game constantly bothered me with messages, decisions and so on which was annoying. Then, if I opened the game after a week or so off, there’d be all these messages about how the base was on fire, the toilets were overflowing and the troops were all fighting each other because I hadn’t played in a while, had mis-managed things and was now being punished for that. It all became quite stressful. 

• 1 month later...

I stopped playing this for some reason in December 2015 and started playing it again this week.

It turned out I was up to Episode 31: SAHELANTHROPUS so it’s a shame I didn’t do it back then. Due to the passage of time, I have completely forgotten the story and it took ages to get used to the controls again. The actual gameplay is great but all the base management stuff can be quite impenetrable.

Glad I went back to it though :)

edit - as I didn’t know what was going on I went into the mission with the tranq gun, a stun assault rifle, tranq sniper and Quiet also with a tranq rifle.

On 05/02/2019 at 13:28, K said:

I don't think the game shortchanges you on craziness. Within the first twenty minutes you get chased by giant horse made out of flame, and the plot revolves a man with a skull for a face using prehistoric vocal cord parasites to take over the world.

It foes frontload the crazy though. That opening sections is writing crazy cheques the rest of the game can't cash.

Your mileage may vary, but I thought the sexy borg parasite sniper squad, the endless vocal cord parasite ramblings and cassette tape after cassette tap of Kaz Millar screaming about burgers was enough craziness for me.

It's definitely the most bonkers of all the Metal Gears for sure. Just take the fulton as example - one of the main tools in the game is a frikken balloon which instantly pulls up screaming men and cows into the sky, heck even shipping containers and vehicles - it's pure comedy. I mean that sets the stage for the rest of the game too. Not to mention K's points, Kaz and Miller's mad interludes, Skull Face and his demise, Quiet dancing in the rain. I love it.

59 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

It's definitely the most bonkers of all the Metal Gears for sure. Just take the fulton as example - one of the main tools in the game is a frikken balloon which instantly pulls up screaming men and cows into the sky, heck even shipping containers and vehicles - it's pure comedy. I mean that sets the stage for the rest of the game too. Not to mention K's points, Kaz and Miller's mad interludes, Skull Face and his demise, Quiet dancing in the rain. I love it.

The fulton extraction system is a real thing, btw. 

I mean, it's only for people in reality but it's not *that* silly. 

I want to be Fultoned at my funeral. Float off into the night sky. Fireworks. Strobe lights. Neon lined coffin. Orville blaring over the sound system. "Ah wish ah could flyyyy..." and everyone going mental cheering and roaring "YER CAN!!!" Just hope I die before everyone I know so this actually happens because I wouldn't want to be hiring randos to pad out the crowds. 

• 3 months later...
On 18/03/2019 at 16:33, Stanshall said:

I want to be Fultoned at my funeral. Float off into the night sky. Fireworks. Strobe lights. Neon lined coffin. Orville blaring over the sound system. "Ah wish ah could flyyyy..." and everyone going mental cheering and roaring "YER CAN!!!" Just hope I die before everyone I know so this actually happens because I wouldn't want to be hiring randos to pad out the crowds. 

I'd like to be fultoned at my own funeral too, but to have been decomposing for three months before. That's what you get for still being alive, you bastards!

• 3 months later...

I've been rediscovering my love for the nonsense that is the MGS series of late, kind of out of nowhere. In the process, I stumbled across a YouTuber - ThorHighHeels - who produced a series of videos going through the merits of pretty much every Metal Gear game ever made, including the handheld and mobile spin offs.

I recommend watching from the second episode onwards - he's Dutch and has a style of delivery that's improved as he's got older, which is evident in this playlist. The last video on MGSV pretty much sums up how awesome but fucked up the whole affair is.

• 6 months later...