IGNORED

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Broker

I made a separate thread about this maybe a year ago, I just don't understand why this game gets so much negativity. It's ridiculously good and one hell of an achievement. I play on a base PS4 and after the nonsense of that first couple of hours it opens up into the most incredibly accessible yet complicated game ever. it introduces elements at just the right times so it never feels overwhelming, but if you stop playing it and go back after 6-months you realise how completely impenetrable it is. All the time while playing the game I just get this feeling of "how does any programming team sit down and start programming something like this?" It made me think of when I used to write in basic on the spectrum and I would write 

10 CLS

20 print "welcome to....

And then I would just sit there waiting for some inspiration. How the hell do you even start to write something this epic, and in the process keep it fun and manageable controllable and entertaining? It's an absolute piece of work this and a game everyone should play. It is 2.99 online I believe, and an absolute must buy if you've never played it before. How anybody can not like this game I do not know. 

Glad some other people appreciate this. It's easily in the top 5 games of this whole (long) generation imo. Just fucking great and one of the only true "sandbox" games when it comes to actually completing missions. The next GTA needs to take some pointers from this if its to not get left behind.

I really, really fancy starting a new game on this, but I've been away from it for so long there's no way I could just pick up again from an old save.

However,

I'm not sure I can be arsed with that first section again. I remember some of it from my first time, and I think I only persevered then because there was always the chance that it was nearly finished.

In my head it takes maybe an hour, perhaps a bit more but that's probably wrong, can anyone remember how long the first section lasts?

Brilliant game but a terrible start.

5 hours ago, multi said:

I really, really fancy starting a new game on this, but I've been away from it for so long there's no way I could just pick up again from an old save.

However,

I'm not sure I can be arsed with that first section again. I remember some of it from my first time, and I think I only persevered then because there was always the chance that it was nearly finished.

In my head it takes maybe an hour, perhaps a bit more but that's probably wrong, can anyone remember how long the first section lasts?

I replayed the first section a couple of months ago and it wasn’t as long as I remembered it to be. Was a pleasant surprise. I’d say that including all the cutscenes there’s about an hour tops of crawling around a hospital staring at Snake’s arse crack while a man literally made of fire stalks you.

7 hours ago, multi said:

However,

If you watch a speedrun on YouTube first, you can do that whole opening in about 20 minutes.

• 1 month later...

I have gone back to this after getting stuck years back on the man of fire boss fight.  Walked it this time and having a great time with it again.  Couple of questions 

Spoiler

I have just seen the credits roll after Chapter 1 - is the 2nd Chapter just as much of a time sink and is it worth doing?  Also, am I right in saying that there is 50 missions in total.  I have no interest in trophies and S ranks etc but want to see the story out.

Finished this last night. 78 hours on the clock. What a bloated masterpiece it is. If this had a story mode of 20 hours ish with loads of extras to utilise the best stealth game engine of all time this would have been a perfect send off. 8/10 

Spoiler

And that mission in chapter 2 with all the tanks etc can go fuck itself back to Konami land

9 hours ago, Spacehost said:

Did you though? There’s that secret final mission...

I did all the story missions and loads of side missions but didn't do all of the extreme and stealth missons. 

Spoiler

Last story Chapter was 50 - The Truth?

36 minutes ago, Parappa said:

I did all the story missions and loads of side missions but didn't do all of the extreme and stealth missons. 

Hide contents

Last story Chapter was 50 - The Truth?

I think that's the last one- been a long time since I played it mind.

Same on the 360. You could tell in a lot of places that it wasn't how it was meant to look (especially the foliage and water) but it was still shockingly solid. The PS4 versions of each of the games have been given away on PS+ so I put a few hours in to them. It's like watching a movie in HD vs SD.

Ground Zeroes is such a good sandbox game because the sandbox is so small. In a number of ways I prefer it to the "full" game.  Setting yourself challenges and exploring, speed running, using the map, it's all so much better when the environment is so small you can memorise it all.  

5 hours ago, dumpster said:

Ground Zeroes is such a good sandbox game because the sandbox is so small. In a number of ways I prefer it to the "full" game.  Setting yourself challenges and exploring, speed running, using the map, it's all so much better when the environment is so small you can memorise it all.  

Yep. More evidence that smaller, denser game worlds are usually better.

• 1 month later...