IGNORED

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Broker

Playing this again is an absolute joy. I'm trying to take a completely different approach to my previous playthroughs, living with the consequences of a bungled mission (most of them tbf) and not restarting from checkpoints. The way it keeps the pressure on by announcing things like daytime is coming soon and new guards will be starting their shifts whilst you're looting a base at night, the flares going up and guards sweeping the landscape searching for you when a night mission goes wrong, the stress of additional guards arriving that you haven't spotted, it's just so layered and interesting. I love the systems, base building, combat, the elements of silliness, everything is so immaculately polished and considered.

One thing I never figured out is how long do the enemies stay ZZZ for after you've tranquillised them? Is than on a timer? If you pick them up, throw them and the ZZZ turns to STUN, do they stay knocked out longer?

52 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

He was just alluding to the fact that the storyline meant she had to be mostly exposed I think. There wasn't a big 'gotcha' moment.

That's right, I forgot about that. Been reading about it more;

"The reason Quiet wears that bikini outfit is that she breathes through her skin, using photosynthesis to absorb air, water, and nutrients. She has to do this because her body is infested with parasites."

:lol:

If a man had the same storyline, you'd just know the design would be very different. They wouldn't be going around in a G-string. 

22 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

One thing I never figured out is how long do the enemies stay ZZZ for after you've tranquillised them? Is than on a timer? If you pick them up, throw them and the ZZZ turns to STUN, do they stay knocked out longer?

Also playing this again at the moment. It's a great side game as you can dip in for as little or a long as you like.

To answer you question, from what I have read, ZZZ is better than stun, and lasts a bit longer. Plus when they wake up they won't go into alert.

10 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I'm very lazy... How much is this currently going for on PS4? I played it on 360 and it was fine but I think a slight upgrade might make it worth another play through.

Doesn’t mention a price, the PS4 store says it’s not available for purchase. But please subscribe to PS Now, and you can play it.

2 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I'm very lazy... How much is this currently going for on PS4? I played it on 360 and it was fine but I think a slight upgrade might make it worth another play through.

Yeah about a week ago it was super cheap like Capwn says, for some reason it's not in the current sale. It was so cheap I was going to buy it so I don't have to put in the disc to play it, but it's back up the 15 quid now.

5 hours ago, Melon_Bread said:

Also playing this again at the moment. It's a great side game as you can dip in for as little or a long as you like.

To answer you question, from what I have read, ZZZ is better than stun, and lasts a bit longer. Plus when they wake up they won't go into alert.

Ah, thanks for that.

Spent the entire day on this, just replaying the same handful of missions and seeing how differently they can be approached and actually enjoying the replay more than the first time I played it. Even the very first proper level, before you get the Fulton - I went back to that once I had the Fulton and collected every single item from the map, at the end I'd avoided the Skulls and put Miller on the chopper but decided to go and mop up a couple of enemy stragglers - never seen this before but the chopper joined in and was picking the guards off from distance whilst I was riding around on D-Horse. This is with no upgrades to the chopper at all. Just amazing.

I also got the cassette for Thomas Dolby's "She Blinded Me With Science" today (in the game) which reminded me of my favourite rock and roll story - when they were recording the song and Magnus Pyke was doing his lines, he kept putting emphasis on "She, blinded me, with Science?" as if to say, no one is schooling me about science! Took them a lot of takes to get that right apparently. Pretty sure it's in the Adam Buxton podcast episode with Thomas Dolby, great listen. Talks about playing with Bowie too.

Usually I'd be at a fucking miserable party on NYE but thanks to Covid I can play MGSV in peace, best new year ever!

I've just redownloaded this tonight after getting a hankering to restart it after catching up in here. 

But, and I hope it's just me being a dumbass here, I can only continue my game from years ago. I don't want that as I've forgotten the controls, the story and the missions I'd already done.

How in the name of fuck do I start a new game?

And Happy New Year to you all too 🤠

20 minutes ago, multi said:

I've just redownloaded this tonight after getting a hankering to restart it after catching up in here. 

But, and I hope it's just me being a dumbass here, I can only continue my game from years ago. I don't want that as I've forgotten the controls, the story and the missions I'd already done.

You can’t, unfortunately ☹️

Unless you make a new PSN profile/login you’ll have to back up your save to a USB stick if you want to retain your progress and then delete the save file on your console. It’ll still retain all the materials and FOB stuff you had collected in your online ‘bank’ though. It’s a really odd system in that regard and was quite annoying when I too wanted to start over a fresh game last year.

And Happy New Year! 🥳

Ah... the best MGS game for me. Played it through to completion twice. Yes, I did delete everything just to start it again. Tempted to have another go on my PS4, since I played the first two times on the PS3.

MGS V > MGS > MGS 3 > MGS PW > MGS 4 > MGS 2. Trufax :ph34r:

4 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Ah... the best MGS game for me. Played it through to completion twice. Yes, I did delete everything just to start it again. Tempted to have another go on my PS4, since I played the first two times on the PS3.

MGS V > MGS > MGS 3 > MGS PW > MGS 4 > MGS 2. Trufax :ph34r:

You got 2 and PW the wrong way round.

12 hours ago, multi said:

Just delete the save, that's what I have done, I think it still gives you some online stuff which make the start a bit easier but you can def start again if you do not care about your old save.

MGS2's my favourite one. It came out when I was at the perfect age and was kind of my Mario 64 moment. I spent what must have been hundreds of hours exploring every nook and cranny of Tanker and Plant trying to see new interesting little tidbits and I was still finding stuff by the end. I got every dog tag on all of the difficulties apart from one, me and a mate did the torture scene on European Extreme by plugging in a dance mat and hammering the triangle as fast as we could, hell we basically invented speed running on it! I never understood a word of what was going on until I was a bit older and found out it's basically this mad "Gremlins 2, what do you want from a sequel" post modern masterpiece that foretold so many of the issues society is dealing with today. It's also completely fucking barmy and might not be any of those things but then that's kind of the beauty of it, right? 

V's a masterpiece in its own right obviously, it's probably the tightest gameplay sandbox I've ever played. I cannot imagine how my young MGS2 "let's do a run where I shoot every seagull on plant" brain would have dealt with it. There's so much game there, so many options. It's a staggering achievement.  

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Still completely hooked on this but need to put it down now. I've put 600 hours into this playthrough which has easily taken me over 1000 hours in this game in total. I'm finding myself putting more time into the backend than the missions and really enjoying it which has inspired me to try a management sim - any recs gratefully received.

Weekly FOB and mission challenges have kept my interest high this time around, I'm also doing tons of invasions on other player's bases and attempting to S-Rank all the total stealth missions in Chapter 2. But it's time to move on now and say goodbye to Motherbase until the next time.

An absolutely magnificent game. Yes it's flawed but after 1000 hours, I can honestly say that the flaws didn't bother me too much.

And I didn't even get around to GZ this time around!

49 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Still not got past the first hour :lol:

You do realise that it's a game about rescuing endangered animals with a war as a backdrop? Those 1000 hours that I put in were all about saving goats. It's all about your conservation platform. Get in there and do your duty man!

• 5 months later...

Recently started it again too. That first section took even longer than it seemed the first time. After that it kicks up several gears, it's still the best proper stealth game around. I'm so shit at it though. 

Just starting the first 'free choice' mission after rescuing Kaz and returning to Mother Base. Such an odd game, in a way it feels clunky sometimes but in fact it's the opposite, the controls are just much more sensitive than I can handle. I'll get used to it, hopefully. Can't wait to develop the silenced rubber bullet SMG again as I am fucked without it. 

I am also listening to every tape from the beginning this time around, to avoid having a backlog when I finally get around to it - they are all interesting in their own way. I didn't realise that the fast-forward button is essentially a 'skip dialogue line' which is a godsend, assuming you have subtitles on. I listened to Ocelot read out every single fucking one in painstaking detail first time around.