Jump to content
IGNORED

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain


Broker
 Share

Recommended Posts

Every 3-4 months I boot this up thinking my base capacity and weapons crafting options would increase in my absense. Thats not how it works at all right?

 

Also, this guy is the real Diamond Dogs

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

While I'd hardly call MGSV unfinished, I do think the cut content is unusually conspicuous for a Kojima game. He tends to cut early and anything that's left in gets polished and resolved to a mirror sheen. He's a maximalist, so say what you want about MGS1-4's lesser-used gameplay features and more absurd plot turns, they were as tied off as anything else. Yet the in-game development of Battle Gear, which had its rideable version cut for reasonable balance reasons, has a bit too much sauce on it; there are plot threads left hanging and the Peace Walker structure almost implies a cataclysmic finale; your musical Skull Face car ride, ostensibly happening at the same time as a battle royale between your rival militaries, feels conspicuously lacking martial scenery.

 

The cracks and gaps are just a little bit too obvious versus the director's style. It's a little too easy to triangulate, rightly or wrongly, that Kojima didn't have the time he wanted to finesse things together.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

While I'd hardly call MGSV unfinished, I do think the cut content is unusually conspicuous for a Kojima game. He tends to cut early and anything that's left in gets polished and resolved to a mirror sheen. He's a maximalist, so say what you want about MGS1-4's lesser-used gameplay features and more absurd plot turns, they were as tied off as anything else. Yet the in-game development of Battle Gear, which had its rideable version cut for reasonable balance reasons, has a bit too much sauce on it; there are plot threads left hanging and the Peace Walker structure almost implies a cataclysmic finale; your musical Skull Face car ride, ostensibly happening at the same time as a battle royale between your rival militaries, feels conspicuously lacking martial scenery.

 

The cracks and gaps are just a little bit too obvious versus the director's style. It's a little too easy to triangulate, rightly or wrongly, that Kojima didn't have the time he wanted to finesse things together.


All total assumption, you’d need to man himself to comment on it, which I don’t think he ever has, to truly know. 
The Battle Gear cut content was from himself over Twitter? He said it broke the game if I recall. 
 

To the player or at least myself, the game very much feels like a complete thing, and these cut elements are just par for the course. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:


All total assumption, you’d need to man himself to comment on it, which I don’t think he ever has, to truly know. 
The Battle Gear cut content was from himself over Twitter? He said it broke the game if I recall. 
 

To the player or at least myself, the game very much feels like a complete thing, and these cut elements are just par for the course. 


Well, Battle Gear was discussed in various making-of material (the art book I think?) and the cut of the final act definitely happened. The Skull Face drive is my only assumption, but Kojima doesn’t generally do a set-up without a pay-off. It’s generally off-style for him in a way that reads as a gap, whatever the actual reason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

 

YouTube! The bastion of truth!

I mean, it's so obvious though?

 

All other mgs polished, this isn't.

Loads of features cut.

Half the game missing?

Leaves konami at release time after falling out

releases ground zeroes to generate income as development taking too long 

No dlc

Full cut cutscenes found re key game moments

Game referring to a playable metal gear that you never play as 

 

I also still do this day don't get the keifer swap 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, carlospie said:

I mean, it's so obvious though?

 

All other mgs polished, this isn't.

Loads of features cut.

Half the game missing?

Leaves konami at release time after falling out

releases ground zeroes to generate income as development taking too long 

No dlc

Full cut cutscenes found re key game moments

Game referring to a playable metal gear that you never play as 

 

I also still do this day don't get the keifer swap 

 

 

MGSV is one of the most polished and completed games I've ever played. Games that are unstable, bug & performance issue ridden are usually the ones that were released in an unfinished state. This had content cut early, just like any other game. I've worked before on the remastering of Halo, and you'd not believe the amount of stuff they cut. But they did it early then polished it, just like here. 

Half the game isn't missing. Mission 51 was nothing more that a pre-vis cut-scene (not final) that added nothing to the plot and was cut for obvious reasons. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The amount of nonsense surrounding the end of MGSV is staggering. There’s a couple of deleted cutscenes and an extremely early (maybe 20% complete before it was canned) concept for a few final missions in an entirely new environment that was canned AFAIK before the game was even officially released. None of the missions or environments for it were even implemented, only some cutscenes and concept art, even PC version deep divers couldn’t find anything too juicy.

 

You want to talk cut stuff in an MGS game, what about where it fades to white near the end of MGS2, where there was an entire sequence where you’re riding on top of Arsenal Gear as it ploughs through the Lower East Side, tossing the Statue of Liberty onto First Avenue in the process? Restore that and I’ll pay you some money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

The amount of nonsense surrounding the end of MGSV is staggering. There’s a couple of deleted cutscenes and an extremely early (maybe 20% complete before it was canned) concept for a few final missions in an entirely new environment that was canned AFAIK before the game was even officially released. None of the missions or environments for it were even implemented, only some cutscenes and concept art, even PC version deep divers couldn’t find anything too juicy.

 

You want to talk cut stuff in an MGS game, what about where it fades to white near the end of MGS2, where there was an entire sequence where you’re riding on top of Arsenal Gear as it ploughs through the Lower East Side, tossing the Statue of Liberty onto First Avenue in the process? Restore that and I’ll pay you some money.

 

Absolutely, I was also going to point out the Arsenal Gear thing in MGS2! 

 

"Mission 51" reads like a "character arc ending" up for -

Spoiler

Liquid Snake

and completely falls in line with all the other "character arc endings",. but they realised that having this one last mission didn't really push anything naratively forwards... 

Spoiler

Liquid Snake has still stolen the Sahelanthropus and buggered off, just like he does in the final cut-scene in the actual game. All that Mission 51 adds is a confrontation with him and the child soldiers, which even writing down sounds like a bad idea! He still just buggers off into the unknow with the Sahelanthropus. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

The amount of nonsense surrounding the end of MGSV is staggering. There’s a couple of deleted cutscenes and an extremely early (maybe 20% complete before it was canned) concept for a few final missions in an entirely new environment that was canned AFAIK before the game was even officially released. None of the missions or environments for it were even implemented, only some cutscenes and concept art, even PC version deep divers couldn’t find anything too juicy.

 

You want to talk cut stuff in an MGS game, what about where it fades to white near the end of MGS2, where there was an entire sequence where you’re riding on top of Arsenal Gear as it ploughs through the Lower East Side, tossing the Statue of Liberty onto First Avenue in the process? Restore that and I’ll pay you some money.

Me too! I can't believe it's still not been released. As I kid I never even noticed it ha

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did the "kill the colonel and blow up the tanks" mission on this earlier because of stupid Back Page and stupid this thread bump. The game is so so so good still, despite clearly being an unfinished and buggy mess (!). I put a load of mines down to blow the tanks up which basically did a bit of damage to one and made the rest stop. So it then became a case of thundering down from a high vantage point until I'd run out of missiles and grenades leaving one tank left. And so I did what any super spy would do. I threw loads and loads and loads of smoke grenades, snuck right up to the bugger, put CV all over him and then legged it to a safe distance and destroyed the bastard.

 

I spent far too much of my first play through worried about mission scores. The game is so so so much more fun if you just ignore them and enjoy how many different ways there are to do everything. Such an all timer.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Beat Quiet like a big boy yesterday. Feels good man. Well, copious amounts of smoke grenades and decoys but better than just dropping supply crates on her head which is what I did when I played originally.

 

She's a good character (and the cutscenes that follow are gold) but her outfit just gets more creepy with age. Yuck. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Did the first 'ending' yesterday (for the second time). Brilliant. 

 

Spoilers, maybe ... 

 

Spoiler

The missions themselves did seem to lose their way a bit towards the end, a combination of a) needing to advance the story but running out of set pieces so the mission is essentially 'extract this guy, he might know something' or b) introducing annoying elements like the children - like trying to herd cats. (And you can't fulton them, but somehow I can extract goats?!)

 

For example 'Code Talker' is fantastic, the sense of achievement in sniping all 4 stupid sexy skulls is astounding, then the MGS3-like jungle route to the villa. It's then followed by the dogshit 'Metallic Archea' where you have to essentially find a loophole in the airport where the concrete skulls can't hurt you, getting Quiet to distract them and smacking them in the back of the head with a rocket launcher. 

 

All is forgiven by time the 'Skull Face' / 'Saehelanthropus' combo comes around though. You cant fail to be hyped up coming in hot on the choppers to this. 

 

 

 

Also I ruined Skull Face's jeep monologue by playing 'Take On Me' really loudly in his face. Although in hindsight it didn't make a lot of sense, why did I take out an entire base of soldiers (and I mean an entire base) if there was no point in me coming there? Weird. 

 

Anyway. Now on with the post game stuff. It's been very 'one man and his dog' so far, so maybe I'll give Quiet a run out. Or even D-Walker (yeah right). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.