Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Go to the cassette tapes menu. Highlight a music track, then press Square/X. A-ha's 'Take on me' is highly appropriate. :D

Pob, how are you managing to upload video? My PS4 won't let me. :(

Copied it to USB drive and then onto laptop.

You really can play this like an up to date version of Delta Force, fantastic. I remember one of the first things that struck me when I played MGS2 was the motion capture and how much it added to the realism of the whole thing. The likes of GTA5 also do it very well but for some reason it just doesn't seem as good as Metal Gear's, does anyone know why that would be or am I imagining it?

Loving the slow motion when you suddenly run into an enemy, previously I would have had Snake spinning on the spot and accidentally lying on the ground because I panicked but this really gives you a proper second or two to consider what you're going to do (shoot them).

You really can play this like an up to date version of Delta Force, fantastic. I remember one of the first things that struck me when I played MGS2 was the motion capture and how much it added to the realism of the whole thing. The likes of GTA5 also do it very well but for some reason it just doesn't seem as good as Metal Gear's, does anyone know why that would be or am I imagining it?

Loving the slow motion when you suddenly run into an enemy, previously I would have had Snake spinning on the spot and accidentally lying on the ground because I panicked but this really gives you a proper second or two to consider what you're going to do (shoot them).

Yeah the reflex time just adds another layer of tactical options. I went into to a room where two guards were holding a prisoner - first one I took out by 'knocking' with my arm. Did a tactical takedown as he opened the door, the next one saw me but I did another TT using the reflex time.

Has anyone commented on the sound your bionic arm makes yet when you do the super punch? Steve Austin ;)

This game is basically the game I have always dreamed of since watching Rambo First Blood Part II as a kid. Like thirty years ago or something.

Completely agree. In terms of open world game design, it's over 5 years out of date - Red Dead Redemption already did it. For me there isn't enough dynamic content between checkpoints and very little attracts me off the beaten bath, there's a distinct lack of atmosphere out in the wilderness too.

I don't know. The open-world isn't there to plaster a lot of side-quest icons on your map or feature side-quest givers. Everything is there to facilitate the mission design. At first it seems like it's just empty space between each discrete location but later on when missions become multi-location sprawls across the map and you start getting tanks and vehicular chases involved, you start understanding why it's open world in the first place.

It's also pretty easy to just go to the pause menu and select return to ACC if you want to mission hop and avoid traversing the landscape to get to the next mission.

Personally I'm not fussed about the type of scripted events that open-world games usually feature to make the worlds feel alive. They're usually cute the first time and annoying the inevitable fifth or tenth time you see them. I saw some events in RDR happen so often that I just tuned them out in the end.

What do you do with guys in cars? I blocked a car with my horse then tried to get him out but couldn't find a way.

I hid in a box in front of an open top car once, got ran over, the driver went to check, and I had no problem holding him up! I probably wouldn't recommend it with anything bigger though.

I'm spending a lot of time in free roam, marking all the Side-Ops currently available and then driving from one to the other, and seeing how far i can get before my supplies run out. Its great scraping by on dead mans shotguns with 5 rounds in them.

Took a break from the story because i was worried i was rushing through it, but it sounds like Ep.20 is still early days in the grand scheme of things. :)

FAO anyone who has completed Ep.19:

Did i miss something or is that mission impossible to complete first time round? You can't possibly know where the chopper is going to land/take off from while you're tailing that dude in the car, and even if you were pre-emptively headed in the right direction, and just happened to be packing a long range missile launcher, the timing is incredibly tight before the target leaves the battle zone. Seemed a bit unfair to me, and still quite tricky even when you know what you're doing second time round.

I just quit playing this as I thought I should be playing it and am instead just playing it however I want. It's opened it up a lot more and made it a lot more enjoyable.

Previous if I was seen I would run and wait for them to reset. If I carried on like that I think I'd just be using my bionic arm and tranq gun the whole way through which would get tiring.

I still want to avoid killing anyone but now will resort to killing if needed. I even just threw a grenade that took out about four people at once. In that scenario I was trapped in a room having just untied someone with literally nowhere to go. The old me would have restarted from the most recent checkpoint in that setup. Instead I just threw that grenade, picked up the guy, and ran.

Much, much better.

Deary me, I just made a right hash of Mission 8. When the mission descriptions say 'missiles recommended' don't go in thinking a grenade launcher will do because it won't.

Really love that mission. How did you do it in the end?

You know some review / preview press talked about a sniper battle to rival The End?

Was that the Quiet battle? It was great fun, but hardly the same feels.

Care to write major spoiler next to that? Wish I hadn't clicked it.