Arkham Horror

There seems to be quite a few of us that have this so I thought we could dedicate a thread to it. There seems to be quite a few questions regarding the game so instead of derailing the general chatter thread, we can do it in here!

My copy got delivered to work today along with the LotR LCG. Strangely nearly identical size boxes, but the AH box is so, so much heavier. Gloriously heavy. Anything more satisfying than popping out the cardboard tokens?

Top AH tip: invest in some baggies/wee tubs for the various tokens. It takes long enough to set up even with the components pre-sorted.

Who are people's favourite characters? Joe Diamond is a monster slaying machine, he's probably my favourite to play.

• Upvote 1

Top AH tip: invest in some baggies/wee tubs for the various tokens. It takes long enough to set up even with the components pre-sorted.

Who are people's favourite characters? Joe Diamond is a monster slaying machine, he's probably my favourite to play.

I like Sanity, so professor dude. He's ace.

Oh wow! My fantasy of having a thread for Arkham Horror has actually happened! :wub:

I'm a fan of Joe Diamond too but I've had a few playthroughs with Michael McGlen too. He's somewhat of a physical weapon-totin' machine. The last time I played, we randomly picked the investigators and I ended up with Bob Jenkins. He did all right but I struggled with his low focus score.

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some pics of my new set up with some hobby boxes and stuff:

Almost full spread (with cat)

ark1sm.jpg

In box sans larger cards

ark2sm.jpg

Deck box!

ark3sm.jpg

Stood up, for play style

ark4sm.jpg

It's not about the mon-ey, mon-ey, mon-ey

ark5sm.jpg

Tasty brains

ark6sm.jpg

Neatly packed away, Yig in tow (argh!) but no board/play aids

ark7sm.jpg

All neatly put away

ark8sm.jpg

• Upvote 6

I started playing this last year with some friends. As someone who is pretty sceptical of board games, it's done a lot to convert me.

I love how tooled up you can get by the end of the game, but it's still never guaranteed that you can prevail.

I've only managed the one go (I have a strangely busy life, and also gathering 5-6 people in their thirties together for an evening's like herding cats) but loved it. It helped that I spent about four hours learning the rules beforehand and acting as a benevolent DM as well as player, guide and general dogsbody. We're having a Cthulu-moot on 7th April, which I'm planning to set as more of a challenge - will report back :)

I got the Deck Boxes from eBay, from a store call Magic Madhouse. He does the clear ones as well as coloured (I think I'll grab some birghter ones next time, personally) and they're £1.45 & £1.50 shipping. If you order several though, the shipping drops to 50p per unit, so I got 3 for just under £7 I think.

The boxes are good - they're designed for cards with protective sleeves on so there's lots of wiggle room mind. Without sleeves I'd say you can easily fit 90 to 100 cards in each box.. That eBay store has sleeves too, plus the kind of boxes that are leatherette with magnetic fasteners:

41aecYEqaKL.jpg

I'm going to a boardgame weekend and have been asked to bring my copy of this, I've only played it about three times and I'm worried that I'll be awful at explaining rules and things, not just becasue I've forgotten it all. Any idiots guides I can have a look over beforehand? The rule book is huge and cofnusing. Also I'm pretty sure the last time I did play it we were doing turn order all wrong.

I haven’t got a wide experience with board games yet, but LotR Living Card Game has a basic (but useful) cardboard dial for tracking stats, and I played Space Crusade a few weeks ago – that’s got a little cardboard-and-plastic slider thing too.

Either of those things would be better than using loads of little cardboard tokens shaped like brains, and weird stuff like that :blink:

I'm going to a boardgame weekend and have been asked to bring my copy of this, I've only played it about three times and I'm worried that I'll be awful at explaining rules and things, not just becasue I've forgotten it all. Any idiots guides I can have a look over beforehand? The rule book is huge and cofnusing. Also I'm pretty sure the last time I did play it we were doing turn order all wrong.

The summary sheets on Headless Hollow may be of some help.

• Upvote 1

Options:

1) Forget to take it.

2) Play a game on your own before you go.

3) Rely on someone else to explain it. If you're going to a boardgame weekend the chances no-one has played Arkham Horror must be pretty slim.

It's not particularly complicated if you make sure you do everything in the correct order every time. If you vary at all, it's easy to miss stages and then it can get messy. But with a willing bunch I doubt you'd have any problems.

I don't think anyone has played it before, this lot are fairly casual boardgame nerds, just every few months they get together and play some. I don't have time to play it on my own before I go but as you say I'm sure we'll figure it out! Thanks, and thanks SimonC too!

The summary sheets on Headless Hollow may be of some help.

A kajillion times this. Play a couple of turns on your own with two investigators too and you'll quickly pick it all back up. There is a lot to it, but it's not a difficult game.

Had an amazing game at the weekend with four people. Cthulhu was a doom token from awakening for due to a couple of early "add two doom counters to the doom track instead of playing a gate" Mythos events but we had five sealed gates on the board, and Sister Mary drew the Other World event which allows an investigator to immediately return to Arkam and seal a gate but be devoured in the process. A truly heroic sacrifice and a great ending to what was a fairly epic game.

• Upvote 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Been meaning to ask this for ages, and now I have a sesh booked in for tonight and am in a rush! Basically: what's the diff between a -0 and a +0 modifier? I literally have no clue what it means.

What blunted said. Also, if you see a "-" modifier, it means you don't make a check on it at all. It's either the cultist, the warlock or maybe something completely different that has the "-" symbol on the horror check modifier, which means there's no horror check.

Cheers, I suspected the plus symbol meant that "it's not a minus!" because, after reading the rules, I realised FFG are spectacularly bad at explaining even the most simplistic of rules :D

You're right; there isn't a minus-zero but, to be fair, I wouldn't be surprised if FFG had added one. See above statement ;)

It was a GG last night, although not quite as fun as the first time: there are just so many bits and pieces to track, modifiers to remember etc. that it's not easy to just relax and enjoy things, especially when having a few drink. It's basically 3-4 hours worth of solid concentration! It's still great, but I think we'll place something a bit more action-y next time :)

It was a GG last night, although not quite as fun as the first time: there are just so many bits and pieces to track, modifiers to remember etc. that it's not easy to just relax and enjoy things, especially when having a few drink. It's basically 3-4 hours worth of solid concentration! It's still great, but I think we'll place something a bit more action-y next time :)

The AH rule book is something that I read around once a month to keep my mind fresh on everything that happens in the game. Last weekend's solo game to start breaking down the Dunwich Horror ruleset was both fun and educational and something I'd like to keep doing once per month. Some people might baulk at the idea of a game you need to "practice" to stay good at but to my mind it's essential to have at least one person at the table who can keep everyone right.

Then again, I'm a pervert when it comes to this stuff. I love it at work when we get an enormous breakdown that takes hours of crawling around in machine guts to fix...

Yeh, I have to 'GM' the game but the others are remembering more and more of the rules. I'm not sure I'm up for refreshing my knowledge of the game regularly without play... I don't have loads of time and It's not something I inherently find fun.

But taking notes? Now thats a different story! Love doing that. I may well create my own mini play guide and prompt, based off the things I forget most often. If I can remember them :D

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to make Arkham Horror less fiddly. I don't have an iOS device so can't use the Arkham Horror Toolkit and also like the screen-less, cardboard-downtime of board games anyway.

I like crafty solutions and have a few good (I think!) ideas. One was, it might work if I used adhesive magnets (like the ones they use on the back of those plastic business cards that you stick to the fridge) to stick to the back of the Investigator card, then stick some also to the sliders, so that they don't fall off.

I'm totally giving this a go, and will let you all know if it's successful :)

• Upvote 1

I'm trying to make Arkham Horror less fiddly. I don't have an iOS device so can't use the Arkham Horror Toolkit and also like the screen-less, cardboard-downtime of board games anyway.

I like crafty solutions and have a few good (I think!) ideas. One was, it might work if I used adhesive magnets (like the ones they use on the back of those plastic business cards that you stick to the fridge) to stick to the back of the Investigator card, then stick some also to the sliders, so that they don't fall off.

I'm totally giving this a go, and will let you all know if it's successful :)

Check out the little templates about 2/3 down this page. They also look kinda neat.

Played AH with my mate last night. We actually ran out of time but we'd managed to seal four gates before a couple of mean mythos cards smacked our bums. The Dunwich Horror had one more space to fill before he was coming out to play, too. I definitely think the sweet spot around the four investigator mark: if we had more time we probably would have won the game but it wasn't going to be easy.

Reading this thread would be a flying start! Post 16 and 20 specifically!

But it's not particularly complicated in my opinion. The rules aren't perfectly written, but there aren't actually that many choices you need to make at any one time, it's just making sure you do things at the right time.