rllmuk
A nice cup of tea

The Game Development Thread

Yeah a couple of facebook/social media APIs are being worked on for the software package im using but there is no ETA just yet. I think once I have finished it I shall just release it and add those features in the future.

Ok, I think I'm going to have the ipad version ready to upload over the weekend. Guys, help me out with a name.

It's a platform style endless style platformer - you collect gold coins. Originally i kinda thought the name Gold Snatcher sounded alright but i'm not so sure. A lot of names already are in use (ie Gold Rush). I could name it something completly random but if anyone has any ideas I am open to them!

Other names I thought of (with the name gold although it could be coin)

Gold Slam

Gold Frenzy

Gold Derby

Gold Bandit

Gold Hunter

Gold Warfare

Gold Jam

Gold Fusion

Gold Wave

Gold Fast / Blast

Does anyone have any experience with android/google play store?

The reason I ask is I have created seperate ipad / iphone 4&5 versions. However with the android, i am not sure if you can make seperate versions on the play store? I am not sure on the resolutions because there are so many different android devices. My Sony Xperia Z1 is 1080p and it works fine (a little stretched) but the iphone version would probably work better on phones and a seperate one for the bigger tablets?

Unfortunatly i can not adverts on the android version unless i pay a couple hundred quid for the ability =/

If I understand what you're asking (not sure I do), you can't really target different display types on Android like you do on iOS. There isn't really a clear divide between what's a phone and what's a tablet, for instance. You can either release two different versions of the same application on the store, or the app could decide which layout to use at runtime.

All my various webby graphics demos now work with touch events. The first two need a bit of UI work so they're fully functional on mobile (just disabled a bunch of stuff for now), the last has always been a bit pap but at least feels slightly more natural / intuitive on a phone.

Thanks I get what you mean, i poorly worded that post.

In any case: I did it! In exactly a week i managed to get a game made and bug tested (ive probably sunk a good 10 hours of playing just for my enjoyment.. it's pretty addictive!).

I've stuck it on a couple of friends iphones & androids (ill come back to that) and they pretty hooked. I'm really happy it's got the kind of quality to it.

Anyway I've created both Iphone and Ipad versions. The iphone 5 actually has more playing area than the ipad/iphone4 which might make it a little easier to see whats up ahead but it doesn't bother me that much.

The Iphone4 only just runs it at an acceptable framerate, but since i can not exclude the iphone4 it will have to do.

I have got it up and running on the android, but it needs more work as it's all a bit new to me and the screen resolution thing may be an issue.

In any case, Gold Tappy is a endless platform style game. It speeds up as time goes on and the idea is to collect as many gold coins as possible. Medals are earned on collected milestones.

The controls work pretty great and are simple enough and given time you can pull off some great jumps to get through the game.

It might look simple but believe me it's not..

post-441-0-34331900-1392596136.jpg

post-441-0-30766200-1392596139.jpg

post-441-0-83773600-1392596142.jpg

post-441-0-59301300-1392596145.jpg

Video could be better quality...

• Upvote 4

Just got audio effects working. Apparently on Android, sounds can only be enabled inside of a touch event. So you have to wait for everything to load, then allow the user to start the game by tapping something, then do something like this inside the touchstart callback to 'enable' the sounds:

sounds.forEach(function(sound) {
sound.volume = 0;
sound.play();
sound.pause();
sound.position = 0;
sound.volume = 1;
});

Sooooo stupid. But it works. Next I have to find some way to tell whether everything's loaded before letting the user begin. Then I have to go through my code and basically rewrite it, as I'm currently working off an unminified version. I deleted the actual source some time ago it seems! Longer term goals are to make it look not shit, give the goal a net with physics, and maybe make the difficulty scale a bit better (going from nothing to a three man wall is a bit of a jump).

Does anyone know, when loading an audio object in via javascript, a reliable way to tell if it's loaded in its entirety? I'm using an event that supposedly means you can play through the whole file, but it lies.

Unfortunatly i can not adverts on the android version unless i pay a couple hundred quid for the ability =/

I only just saw this: I'm not quite sure what you mean, but are you interested in placing adverts in your Android app? Send me a PM if you are, in case I can help.

I only just saw this: I'm not quite sure what you mean, but are you interested in placing adverts in your Android app? Send me a PM if you are, in case I can help.

Hi Tourist - basically the software i use - unless i puchase the "developer" version then i can't use adverts in my android games.

However, i ended up buying it in the end. I have tried chartboost but getting very strange results on the android so i'm using leadbolt instead. Just finishing off the high score boards for that version which is a bit of a pain as have had to use some php and a sqlserver whilst the IOS version uses gamecenter which is easy in comparison.

Sorry for the late reply - I work for a company that provides a monetization service similar to Leadbolt and Chartboost, so let me know if you'd like to find out more or if you want any advice about in-game ads in general.

Working on a conversion of TxK right now as a hobby project with another guy at work. Jeff and Giles @ Llamasoft were kind enough to give us the Vita source code.

Made a good stab at it over the last week on a business trip. West coast US means a couple of long flights and sitting around full on awake at 1am in hotel rooms so some spare time to use up.

First thing to do was get the code compiling and then write a Vita emulation layer. I only had my Linux laptop with me so I got it running on that.

I wrote a pretty terrible software line draw routine for display but it actually plays really nicely.

Modern machines are basically incredible. I'm drawing to a 1920x1080 16bpp framebuffer (just over 4mb) and it runs at a rock solid 60hz. It just removes the need to be clever from the process of making games :D Just started working on an abstraction layer for 3d APIs which should make it easy to write backends easily for different platforms.

It's the first time I've developed on Linux too I've liked a lot. They're tricky to set up but there are some excellent tools. Valgrind in particular has been really useful for finding any out of bounds memory writes or variables being used uninitialised. I've really enjoyed working on this and really happy with the progress made in a short time :)
  • Upvote 7

Very cool! So that's running on your own software renderer rather than OGL at the moment?

• Upvote 1

Yep, I'm intercepting vertex buffer draw calls, transforming the points and just drawing lines where triangles should be.

I'm such a software grandad, I'm honestly astounded that it can run at full HD 60hz without any HW assistance and a far from optimal line draw :)

• Upvote 2

Been using Quintus to rapidly prototype the core loop of a project I'm working on. It's kinda awesome how quickly you can get the basics up and running.

Unlikely, but if anyone up for drawing some sprites (main character with a running animation/jump) i want to adapt Gold Tappy into a world cup game. Be similar to that game, but not as difficult.

My very simple game available on Google Play for Android:KeePeeUp

Video doesn't show smoothness. I'm not much good at technical things or marketing lol. (not really lol)

That's really cool :) What did you write/build it in?

EDIT: It says on the website version... carry on!

Myself and mistersquare launched out first app together this week under our collaborative name, Rolling Muk.

The game is Spiders in the Bath and we've prepped a little blurb below:

Rolling Muk Studios have released their debut game, Spiders in the Bath, crawling on to iOS and Android.

Icon-150x150.png

Spiders ruining your bath time? Webs clogging up your taps? Silk in your shampoo?

No need to panic – simply practice your spider spraying technique with Spiders in the Bath! – a free game available now on iOS, Android and Facebook. Featuring an intuitive tilt control system and a simple premise, compete against your friends in 100% realistic, high-quality spider-soaking action, and ensure your bath time remains arachnid free.

Features:

• Vibrant, colourful graphics and water spray effects.
  • 8 types of arachnid scum, each with unique behaviours. Can you sink the black widow?
  • Strategic gameplay will test your reflexes as you avoid the dreaded Spitter spider and defend your bath-time from the eight-legged hordes.
  • Leaderboards linked to social media, for competitive gameplay!
  • Retro 16-Bit soundtrack from Satsuma Audio, who painstakingly recorded the war cries of real spiders featured in the game.
  • Many environments to uncover and trophies to earn, with more to come in future updates.

The game can be found here:

iOS store: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/spiders-in-the-bath/id894404225?mt=8

Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mistersquare.spiders&hl=en_GB

It's free if you fancy giving it a spin. Constructive feedback appreciated! :D

Here are some screens:

Spiders-Promo-1024x663.jpg

SpidersintheBath1.png

SpidersintheBath4-1024x640.png SpidersintheBath2-1024x640.png

• Upvote 4

Played it on Facebook. I found the controls really a bit too sensitive.

Downloaded on Android and immediately asks me to Tilt. I don't like Tilt. I tried it, then switched to touch.

Touch doesn't work as I'd expect. I want to be able to touch and hold and it sprays in that direction. Anything else is unintuitive.

Android doesn't sign into Facebook, you might have the wrong key hash in android settings on the facebook developers page - I've got the facebook app installed.

Due to the control issues I found it better on facebook than android (note 3). If you did want to keep the touch functioning as it is, perhaps go for left/right buttons to make it clear.

However that feedback aside it's a lovely little game. Polished, great music and sounds, looks great. :D

Played it on Facebook. I found the controls really a bit too sensitive.

Downloaded on Android and immediately asks me to Tilt. I don't like Tilt. I tried it, then switched to touch.

Touch doesn't work as I'd expect. I want to be able to touch and hold and it sprays in that direction. Anything else is unintuitive.

Android doesn't sign into Facebook, you might have the wrong key hash in android settings on the facebook developers page - I've got the facebook app installed.

Due to the control issues I found it better on facebook than android (note 3). If you did want to keep the touch functioning as it is, perhaps go for left/right buttons to make it clear.

However that feedback aside it's a lovely little game. Polished, great music and sounds, looks great. :D

Thanks for the feedback :)

We found that having a direct touch-to-aim system wasn't ideal as your finger just ends up obscuring the exact bit of the screen that you need to be focusing on (I was primarily developing with phones in mind though - its probably less of an issue on tablets). If we were to do it again, I'd probably just leave it in as a control option regardless, and maybe add a third mode where you can have a visible reticle on screen that the water sprays at and you move that around instead. By exaggerating the player's finger movements so its not quite a 1:1 mapping, you can have direct control over the reticle without obscuring it with your finger - the Cave shooters on iOS do something similar to control your ship and that works really well.

Android Facebook integration does seem knackered, I'm going to try to take a look at that this weekend. Weirdly, it works fine on my Nexus 7, presumably its something to do with my FB account being registered as the developer - I'll need to give it a try with some restricted permission test user accounts.

But yeah, it was a fun little game to work on. We envisaged it as a quick little project to do as a break from our longer-term venture and it served that purpose very well. I definitely learned a lot about Unity throughout the process - there's so many little optimization related things that you only really come across in the last stages of a project, so it was invaluable from that respect. The OCD programmer part of my brain would quite like to go back and re-write the whole thing using what I now know :)

Music and sfx was done by a guy called Lawrence that I found on Touch Arcade forums - his website is here http://satsu.ma. He did a great job (especially with the title screen music), I'd highly recommend him if you're after some reasonably priced audio assets.

• Upvote 1

Great game, Stu and co! I think the tilt sens. feels perfect as it is (only tried Portrait). Great little distraction, it's got a difficulty level that feels just right and supremely balanced, too.

Looks marvellous. I love the idea of the player created content like the flowers and adding to the tree (if that's what it is), and are there elements of something like wiz'n'liz with blending fruits/items to create effects and other items (again just assuming that's sort of what I saw at one point!)?

Ah finally the other person apart from me who played Wiz'n'Liz.

Yep all that sort of thing, it'll be multiplayer, and you can draw your own tree sections pixel art style, but there's a lot more strange stuff going on as well.

• Upvote 1

I played it a lot too - never fails to amaze me how much swearing that game can evoke in 2 player mode. possibly the sweariest multiplayer game I've played

Ah finally the other person apart from me who played Wiz'n'Liz.

Yep all that sort of thing, it'll be multiplayer, and you can draw your own tree sections pixel art style, but there's a lot more strange stuff going on as well.

Wiz & Liz was awesome. I started making something similar a while back but got a bit stumped on the graphics.