The Game Development Thread

Unfortunatly i can not adverts on the android version unless i pay a couple hundred quid for the ability =/

I only just saw this: I'm not quite sure what you mean, but are you interested in placing adverts in your Android app? Send me a PM if you are, in case I can help.

I only just saw this: I'm not quite sure what you mean, but are you interested in placing adverts in your Android app? Send me a PM if you are, in case I can help.

Hi Tourist - basically the software i use - unless i puchase the "developer" version then i can't use adverts in my android games.

However, i ended up buying it in the end. I have tried chartboost but getting very strange results on the android so i'm using leadbolt instead. Just finishing off the high score boards for that version which is a bit of a pain as have had to use some php and a sqlserver whilst the IOS version uses gamecenter which is easy in comparison.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply - I work for a company that provides a monetization service similar to Leadbolt and Chartboost, so let me know if you'd like to find out more or if you want any advice about in-game ads in general.

Working on a conversion of TxK right now as a hobby project with another guy at work. Jeff and Giles @ Llamasoft were kind enough to give us the Vita source code.

Made a good stab at it over the last week on a business trip. West coast US means a couple of long flights and sitting around full on awake at 1am in hotel rooms so some spare time to use up.

First thing to do was get the code compiling and then write a Vita emulation layer. I only had my Linux laptop with me so I got it running on that.

I wrote a pretty terrible software line draw routine for display but it actually plays really nicely.

Modern machines are basically incredible. I'm drawing to a 1920x1080 16bpp framebuffer (just over 4mb) and it runs at a rock solid 60hz. It just removes the need to be clever from the process of making games :D Just started working on an abstraction layer for 3d APIs which should make it easy to write backends easily for different platforms.

It's the first time I've developed on Linux too I've liked a lot. They're tricky to set up but there are some excellent tools. Valgrind in particular has been really useful for finding any out of bounds memory writes or variables being used uninitialised. I've really enjoyed working on this and really happy with the progress made in a short time :)

Yep, I'm intercepting vertex buffer draw calls, transforming the points and just drawing lines where triangles should be.

I'm such a software grandad, I'm honestly astounded that it can run at full HD 60hz without any HW assistance and a far from optimal line draw :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My very simple game available on Google Play for Android:KeePeeUp

Video doesn't show smoothness. I'm not much good at technical things or marketing lol. (not really lol)

That's really cool :) What did you write/build it in?

EDIT: It says on the website version... carry on!

• 1 month later...

Played it on Facebook. I found the controls really a bit too sensitive.

Downloaded on Android and immediately asks me to Tilt. I don't like Tilt. I tried it, then switched to touch.

Touch doesn't work as I'd expect. I want to be able to touch and hold and it sprays in that direction. Anything else is unintuitive.

Android doesn't sign into Facebook, you might have the wrong key hash in android settings on the facebook developers page - I've got the facebook app installed.

Due to the control issues I found it better on facebook than android (note 3). If you did want to keep the touch functioning as it is, perhaps go for left/right buttons to make it clear.

However that feedback aside it's a lovely little game. Polished, great music and sounds, looks great. :D

Played it on Facebook. I found the controls really a bit too sensitive.

Downloaded on Android and immediately asks me to Tilt. I don't like Tilt. I tried it, then switched to touch.

Touch doesn't work as I'd expect. I want to be able to touch and hold and it sprays in that direction. Anything else is unintuitive.

Android doesn't sign into Facebook, you might have the wrong key hash in android settings on the facebook developers page - I've got the facebook app installed.

Due to the control issues I found it better on facebook than android (note 3). If you did want to keep the touch functioning as it is, perhaps go for left/right buttons to make it clear.

However that feedback aside it's a lovely little game. Polished, great music and sounds, looks great. :D

Thanks for the feedback :)

We found that having a direct touch-to-aim system wasn't ideal as your finger just ends up obscuring the exact bit of the screen that you need to be focusing on (I was primarily developing with phones in mind though - its probably less of an issue on tablets). If we were to do it again, I'd probably just leave it in as a control option regardless, and maybe add a third mode where you can have a visible reticle on screen that the water sprays at and you move that around instead. By exaggerating the player's finger movements so its not quite a 1:1 mapping, you can have direct control over the reticle without obscuring it with your finger - the Cave shooters on iOS do something similar to control your ship and that works really well.

Android Facebook integration does seem knackered, I'm going to try to take a look at that this weekend. Weirdly, it works fine on my Nexus 7, presumably its something to do with my FB account being registered as the developer - I'll need to give it a try with some restricted permission test user accounts.

But yeah, it was a fun little game to work on. We envisaged it as a quick little project to do as a break from our longer-term venture and it served that purpose very well. I definitely learned a lot about Unity throughout the process - there's so many little optimization related things that you only really come across in the last stages of a project, so it was invaluable from that respect. The OCD programmer part of my brain would quite like to go back and re-write the whole thing using what I now know :)

Music and sfx was done by a guy called Lawrence that I found on Touch Arcade forums - his website is here http://satsu.ma. He did a great job (especially with the title screen music), I'd highly recommend him if you're after some reasonably priced audio assets.

• 3 weeks later...

Great game, Stu and co! I think the tilt sens. feels perfect as it is (only tried Portrait). Great little distraction, it's got a difficulty level that feels just right and supremely balanced, too.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks marvellous. I love the idea of the player created content like the flowers and adding to the tree (if that's what it is), and are there elements of something like wiz'n'liz with blending fruits/items to create effects and other items (again just assuming that's sort of what I saw at one point!)?

• 2 weeks later...

Ah finally the other person apart from me who played Wiz'n'Liz.

Yep all that sort of thing, it'll be multiplayer, and you can draw your own tree sections pixel art style, but there's a lot more strange stuff going on as well.

Wiz & Liz was awesome. I started making something similar a while back but got a bit stumped on the graphics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally got around to a new Tiki Taka Soccer video. It demonstrates the controls which have evolved and improved massively based on user feedback. Looking back at my first iteration I had basically designed a game only I could play!

New vid, HD version available on youtube:

I know this is an old video, but that looks really fun. And thats coming from a non-football fan!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I know this is an old video, but that looks really fun. And thats coming from a non-football fan!

That old video (of essentially a tech demo) finally turned into game. And it's out next week!

The instant I saw that it had the Conference, and therefore the dream of working your way up the divisions, I was sold. Have to remember to pick this up next week.

Wait, next week is this week!

As for what I'm working on, well, now that my exams are out of the way and I've got 17 weeks of glorious study-free freedom, I'm going to try to knock together a simple football game. I've always wanted to. May as well do it now instead of farting around with the non-football bits.