IGNORED

The Game Development Thread

A nice cup of tea

Looking to use Stencyl over the next few months - hopefully learn it and start work on a Towerfall-style game. I whipped up some concept art for it and I have a good idea of how it'll play and the modes (think Four Swords style co-op thats slightly versus) in it. If anyone has any game development know how and would like to collaberate I am here (:

aR2OVgz.png

• 1 month later...

Appreciate this probably isn't the right thread, but just in case: if anyone does anything game-y and wants some input with any words, let me know. I'm a copywriter by day (so I can help with some marketing stuff if that's handy) and can certainly write in-game material too if needs be.

Keen to do other stuff in my life than just the stuff I do every day, y'know.

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all, I wonder if I can ask a Unity question in here which is driving me nuts.

I've just started on some character animation and I have some animations which I'm attempting to use, the problem I'm having however is that the animations are moving the character in animation space, which I don't want. I want the animation to stay on the spot and move the character in code.

How would you handle this? Can you remove the movement from the animation in anyway?

The animations are FBX files, is there anyway I can manually alter them?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I have an ATI card from 2012 :lol:

I know it's supposed to be a bit of alright and I'm sure that anyone well-kitted out would want to judge it on its features and pipeline... but, for my creaky clockwork box, which application runs the least worst out of this, Unreal and Unity is key. Although don't get me started on Unreal and its unholy obsession with degenerate tangents. I'm honestly starting to think that Unity is the only game in town for anyone who values their sanity.

Ok here we go.

Your character will have a object in it's hierarchy that contains all of it's animations as an array (probably).

Highlight this object so the inspector shows the animation component.

Now go to the top menu -> window->animation

You should see the animation editor window. With a drop down list of all your anims near the top left.

If the anims say (read only). go back to the inspector click the animation you want to edit in the array in the inspector window. It should show you the animation in the project folder hierarchy. Highlight it here, ctrl D to duplicate it. Drag the copy of the animation back into the animation array on your character object, replacing the old version.

Reopen the animation window, select the modified animation from the drop down - it should now be writeable.

You can see on the left all the parts of the characters skeleton with their rotation, scale, position key frames on the time line to the right.

Find the root of the model and delete any key frames that are moving or rotating the whole model (not the individual elements or you will mess up that part of the anim).

Test the animation out, if all has gone well it should animate on the spot when playing the edited animation.

Has anyone ever thought of trying to do an rllmuk collaborative made game? I know there are guys on here that are very good and released some really good games, but I was thinking that it might be fun to try to build something together. Possibly taking a leaf from the guys that made IDARB. (Ie. They started of with just a red box then asked their followers on twitter for suggestions and built a game around it.) We could ask the lovely people here!

I wouldn't think I'd be the best person to organise such an endeavour, but I'd certainly lend my skills to it. Anyone else?

That's interesting, what problems did you encounter?

So are you basically building a FSM for each player now, or does the AI control the entire team?

I'm thinking of starting a development blog for my current project, I'm also currently obsessed with trawling through the Unity3D asset store every three hours.  I'm getting a little worried when I come to require 3D assets as I'm not an artist in any way shape or form.

35 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

That's interesting, what problems did you encounter?

So are you basically building a FSM for each player now, or does the AI control the entire team?

I guess the core difference between the two systems is the way components interact. Previously, if a component needed access to something (say, player's decision making AI required information on the tactics), then that component would call some function on the team's tactics component. Which is all well and good at first but quickly becomes spaghetti-like in its structure and tiresome to extend. And given it wasn't actually finished (even as a basic implementation), that extension was pretty important.

Now, the plan is that each component should act more or less independently, communicating via fire and forget messaging. The team's tactics component doesn't really care how something gets done, it just sends a message to the effect of "favour sticking to the flank", say, and the player's tactics component responds to that message by tweaking the weighting. The player's tactics component doesn't care where the message came from, and all I need is the messaging system and a few essential direct lines.

I still haven't laid everything out and I imagine I'll have to revisit if I encounter anything major that I've forgotten to take into account. But I've never really implemented any AI of this scope before, so I like to have it all documented. 

Cheers. It's hard to get much done at the moment, as I only get the opportunity at weekends. One thing I'm aiming for, laying it out like this, is that I can reduce the amount of mental effort it takes to build. I can do things like focusing on how a player handles the mechanics of dribbling, without needing to also remember four or five components all hanging off the back of that, poking into its data and so forth. That's what continually ground me down before.

I'll have plenty more time in the summer though, so that's when I hope it all really comes together.

No worries Dr, it did dawn on me that Im using Legacy animations not Mechanim so there may be some differences I'm not aware of. Should work though.

Actually been doing a bit of dev work at home this weekend, need to build up some momentum!

I'd love to make a port of Elite to the 3DS, I think the 3D would make it super immersive. Currently working on an Android port called Alite (free Elite clone on the play store), I'd totally be down for a rllmuk collab game.

Anyone have any ideas? I've got about 10 games with ideas and mockups made for them. Just can't find programmer who don't bail out.

edit: i  should that it's also down to my sweet ability to half do a project before moving onto the next one, which is why the project loses steam i imagine.

I've had a game dev break for about two or three years, but now I'm getting the energy to play with it again. I did two game jams allready this year, global game jam and now recently Splash jam, a game jam on board a cruise ship. Sick fun. There were some Rllmuk'ers on the boat as well I think. 

Would be interested in some collaboration scheme. With something like unity and their package system, it could be possible to help others in specific areas. Everyone collabing on everything sort of.. :)

Morning chaps!

I wonder if anyone can help me with a Unity animation (mecham) problem I'm having.

I'm using a set of animations I got from the asset store, this one:

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/26680

Now, they all work  fine when using the bundled model, however, I obviously want to use other models with the animations.

To do this, I believe you have to select an animation, and in the inspector go in to the rig tab, and then change the type to humanoid and apply.

So far so good, although I do get a warning in the animations tab after this:

"Inbetween bone default rotation found in this file is different from the one found in the source avatar:

'Spine2' : rotation error = 2.69 deg

'Neck1' : rotation error = 3.316 deg"

When running the game, the characters just adopt the default 'T' pose where as before changing to humanoid they behaved as expected.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

As a side note, it's great to see some activity in this thread all of a sudden :)