The Game Development Thread

Maybe I'll give legacy a go.

I should be able to use the same .flv files right?

Basically all I want to do at the moment is understand the bone system better and basically work out how to use the set of animations I have on another humanoid model.

Quite frustrating as everything else I've done has come easily in the main and this is the first stumbling block I've encountered.

At the moment I'm working on guard AI, so I have patrolling guards that respond to sounds and vision of the player in a smart way.  The animations I have are fantastic, they're motion captured so they look great. they transition nicely between idle to walking, to jogging, to running, to aiming at the player and back, it's really nice, but I need to understand how I can use these animations on other models basically.

I'll see if I can upload a vid at some point.

Maybe I'll give legacy a go.

I should be able to use the same .flv files right?

Yeah you just switch mode in the inspector. I assume Mechanim is better as its newer and looks all fancy an that. but Im a bit old school. If it aint broke don't fix it etc.

In my experience if two models are rigged the same you can share animations between them.

I think the packaged model is not quite rigged right to be honest, I was trying to use an inverse kinetics library with it, but that library complained that some of the bones weren't parented, so they just weren't compatible.

This led me to look at other models and that is where I'm at as I haven't been able to apply the animations to another model as yet.

The nice thing about mechanim is the smooth transition between animations, but I can live without that if I have to.

I'm actually considering learning blender so I can understand the process more deeply.

I'll report my findings later :)

Seeing as we mentioned Unity and Unreal in King A's thread I thought I'd post up some faffery. Really just trying to find my feet at the moment as I'm more of a programmer's programmer and how to manage a full project in a visual editor is a bit alien. I'm aiming for a 16-bit 3D aesthetic along the lines of Robocop 3/anything Freescape/The Colony and Unity gets you real close (if not spot on) with minimal pain:

MF_A.thumb.png.8a44fa3b8c883b1255c2830c3

MF_C.thumb.png.783f1e8a5b94361c64e388888

Of course the temptation is then to start adding lighting and so on...

MF_D.thumb.png.4f0c960e29177d907983b1c27

...which gives quite a compelling look I think, even if it does break the 16-bit aesthetic.

It was much harder to get Unreal to play ball as it's a bit picky about UVs. Here's what DeleD's auto-UV setting does in terms of unwrapping:

UV_01.png.97fb9a96816fcdde4914d41b24e1ea

For Unreal to be happy the faces should all sit in that grey square :facepalm: so you have to manually fix em if you want...

MF_E_UE4.thumb.png.abec47a7131eada5d7b8e

...static lighting in Unity. To be honest with its pre-packaged rendering effects and ability to cope with straight DeleD exports, Unity is out in front for me at the moment. The main thing I want to do next is really figure out what would be interesting and fun to do in a modern take on a Freescape-style game. I always liked the idea of them but never really enjoyed actually playing the things back in the day so I've a lot of experimentation ahead!

On 24 February 2016 at 10:41 AM, SneakyNinja said:

Thought this might be of use to someone here..

Packt publishing give away a free book a day, and this month they're all about game development. (Today's is Unity Game Development Scripting, for example)

https://www.packtpub.com/packt/offers/free-learning

Thanks, they generally do decent books.

On 23 February 2016 at 0:10 PM, -Ben.Johnson- said:

I've got about 10 games with ideas and mockups made for them.

Ain't that the truth, I've got loads of ideas going back years - some are just concepts, some are fully fleshed out design.  It's just finding the time to do things.

We just submitted a new update to Apple for MMA Manager for a small bug.

As I mentioned in King A's thread we've switched from Unity to Unreal for console dev.  We're still waiting for all the legal shit to go through with Epic to get access to the console code, so at the moment our devkit is a glorified paperweight.

I'd love to do some quick/small projects, I've been intending to do Ludum Dare or GGJ for the past number of years but it always falls at really inopportune times for me.  Maybe I can find the time to help out on some sort of forum collab.

On 22 February 2016 at 3:39 AM, Hellcock said:

I would love to do this with my current half built game. Have been trying to find good people to work with but it's quite difficult. Not many incentives one would imagine.

Any details on your game?

Well, it took me all weekend, but late on Sunday I reached the point I was hoping to with my character.

I learnt basic Blender modelling, created and rigged a character, applied the motion captured animations I had to it, and also setup Inverse Kinetics to improve the animation in relation to the ground.

Very happy with all that and I think I understand things much better now.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always wanted to make a fully procedural RPG, I think about it constantly. Especially now I'm playing an MMO again. But it's always just too big a job.

Does everyone else have these impossible pipe dreams ? 

Yes Strategos! I might be working on my very own pipe dream at the moment myself :P

a procedual RPG should be possible to prototype as long as you keep the first iteration simple. It would require lots of design and hard "thinking" work though. The choices you need to make for such a project are many. 

So, I'm once again toying with a philosophical game idea. I'm working on a remake of sorts Skybound , a game me and some friends released for iPhone ages ago : 

youtube video of skybound

Review of Skybound with discussion about the philosophical musings.

This time, I am prototyping in unity. 

Video of new prototype

The reason that I say philosophical game idea, is because I want to take this abstract game, and put in a hard sci-fi setting where the game is being used as input to train an AI to think about thinking, to learn philosophical thought.  

It is a bit far fetched, but I hope you can follow what I'm trying to communicate.

I have written a first draft of an introduction to the game setting and the framing of the game.

I would love to hear feedback in regards to this. Please disregard the visuals, as I'm mostly working on the narration at this point.

game setting

Also, the music is borrowed from an Artist called Tangerine Dream , so don't spread the link etc, it's fair use I believe and it's not meant for a general release, so don't spread the link etc. 

a procedual RPG should be possible to prototype as long as you keep the first iteration simple. It would require lots of design and hard "thinking" work though. The choices you need to make for such a project are many. 

Simple is the problem here, I came up with an overview of how I wanted to do the map, then procedural settlements, flora and fauna, then politics, history, then NPCs, and it rapidly began to spiral out of control, ok it had already spiralled out of control. 

Your stuff looks good, gotta love some Tangerine Dream! 

On 14 March 2016 at 3:08 PM, Strategos said:

On 14 March 2016 at 3:37 PM, vamecum said:

This time, I am prototyping in unity. 

Video of new prototype

The reason that I say philosophical game idea, is because I want to take this abstract game, and put in a hard sci-fi setting where the game is being used as input to train an AI to think about thinking, to learn philosophical thought.  

It is a bit far fetched, but I hope you can follow what I'm trying to communicate.

I have written a first draft of an introduction to the game setting and the framing of the game.

I would love to hear feedback in regards to this. Please disregard the visuals, as I'm mostly working on the narration at this point.

game setting

Nice.

On 14 March 2016 at 3:08 PM, Strategos said:

I've always wanted to make a fully procedural RPG, I think about it constantly. Especially now I'm playing an MMO again. But it's always just too big a job.

Does everyone else have these impossible pipe dreams ? 

I'd almost be sad if anyone posting in this thread didn't.  As I mentioned above I've ideas & designs going back years, and I know I'll never make all of them, and some are really too big/ambitious to do with the small teams I work in now.  On the pipe dream side of things I've got Old West RPGs, space survival games, a heist game I've returned to the concept of every so often over the last decade.  The problem is I want the fidelity of a AAA title despite working with a few people, I want to build fully simulated worlds because I know I can but I also know it takes time away from the rest.

Anyway, your comment about procedural generation (I love procedural generation) reminded me of these videos which might be of interest to you:

Is anyone else dabbling with VR at the moment?  I'd be interested to talk UI solutions.

Nice vids, interesting. My off my imagination goes! The stuff about Sir you are being hunted is really interesting 

http://www.big-robot.com/2012/07/02/procedural-british-countryside-generation/

Is anyone else dabbling with VR at the moment?  I'd be interested to talk UI solutions.

I did a VR version of Wingsuit a while back, but it was just vomit inducing. I'm waiting for my CV1 before revisiting it. 

Hi all, just wondering if RPGmaker is easy/ok to use? I wouldn't mind making a game just for my own personal use, to find out a bit about the effort that is put into games etc. Plus I could put it on my tablet eventually and have something to do whilst out with the other half :P

Anyway is it easy enough to get to grips with? Or would learning C++ etc just be easier xD

I'm quite tech savvy etc anyways and learning a little bit of coding is on my to do list but not necassarily enough to make an entire game.. Also how do you guys get the looks to your games, i.e. the backdrop or the characters, are they self drawn?

20 hours ago, Strategos said:

Nice vids, interesting. My off my imagination goes! The stuff about Sir you are being hunted is really interesting 

http://www.big-robot.com/2012/07/02/procedural-british-countryside-generation/

I did a VR version of Wingsuit a while back, but it was just vomit inducing. I'm waiting for my CV1 before revisiting it. 

Tom Betts's stuff is always good.

You didn't happen to use Unreal did you, from what I remember you didn't?  How did you approach the UI?  Traditional UI seems to be out the window for VR currently (certainly in UE4, I think it's better in Unity but that's not an option for this project), anything done 'normally' is too close to your eyes to really focus on from the game so UI in world space seems to be the answer but is currently proving unreliable from an interaction point of view (UE4 3D Widgets don't take anything but mouse input by default, we can override certain functions to get it to work with controllers).

19 hours ago, Luseth said:

Hi all, just wondering if RPGmaker is easy/ok to use? I wouldn't mind making a game just for my own personal use, to find out a bit about the effort that is put into games etc. Plus I could put it on my tablet eventually and have something to do whilst out with the other half :P

Anyway is it easy enough to get to grips with? Or would learning C++ etc just be easier xD

I'm quite tech savvy etc anyways and learning a little bit of coding is on my to do list but not necassarily enough to make an entire game.. Also how do you guys get the looks to your games, i.e. the backdrop or the characters, are they self drawn?

I would be shocked if learning to use RPG Maker is harder than learning C++, I love C++ but even I have to admit it's not the most friendly language.  If you're looking for something a bit more expandable than RPG Maker but not into the write an engine from scratch you could look into things like the Love engine, Game Maker, Monogame, Monkey-X, Corona SDK, Unity, Unreal, etc - I'm sure there's something obvious I'm missing.

Just realised it's probably not clear from the video, but at the start I set the player to invisible, then about half way though make him visible again, you can see the guards aim at him and search for him.  Finally I make the player invisible again.

When you see the red pill shape, that's the player in the cover system.

• 2 weeks later...

Started doing some modelling and texturing this weekend. 

I I bought a license for substance painter 2. It's really fantastic. 

image.jpeg

Started doing some modelling and texturing this weekend. 

I I bought a license for substance painter 2. It's really fantastic. 

Cheers! :)

I can't believe how easy it is to get amazing texture with Substance Painter.

This image shows it better.

I also used a shader to add sand to the floor units which you can just about see here.

I just want to do this full time now! It's great fun :)

Nice one on your experiment!  I can't wait to have a play with that when my Rift arrives.

Grab 20160404230253 w1900h1200 x-254y20z134r36.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've been building a simple 2D Javascript games engine on and off over the last few months. No way near finished but though it would be nice to share.

It started off as an idea around creating an adventure game creator such that anyone could write simple adventure games without knowing how to code (inspired by reading the Thimbleweed Park blog and seeing their scripting language). But over time it's evolved into something less specific although at it's core I still intend that people without too much coding knowledge should be able to pick up the eventual level editor and create simple games.

I was initially "rendering" using the DOM itself which I found an interesting approach and has some slight advantages over canvas based rendering in terms of performance because you're not forced to re-draw everything each frame. But in the end it's a bit of a chore and has some limitations around image support.

Anyway, after a major re-write it's now rendering in canvas and with a minimal feature set up and running I decided to finally get something playable up and running in it this weekend.

The result is a very simple and featureless version of asteroids (forewarning that I've tried - definitely not tested - it in nothing other than Chrome):

http://therustysnowman.com/playscript/asteroids.html

It's not finished at all but I'm reasonably happy with progress so far and looking forward to adding in more features. Including:

• Image support - line drawing is good and all but probably a bit limited (this is actually in as of this evening but not got a demo with it in yet)
  • Sound - because sometimes you don't have netflix on
  • Level editor - because writing them by hand is tedious