The Game Development Thread

• 3 weeks later...

About ten or so years ago I wrote a Library for creating 2D games quickly, and named it the RetroLibrary. It was written in C using SDL, and I initially got the idea from Gameboy Advance development. It mostly dealt with the creating- and drawing of backgrounds and sprites. Backgrounds were scrollable and sprites had collision and animation capabilities.

Here's a screenshot of my attempt at creating a multiplayer Plotting using the RetroLibrary.

plottingscreenshot.png.8788f64a920c17ed54f42bb01b5e692c.png

I don't recall why I abandoned this project. I think I got hooked on World of Warcraft and programming took a backseat for a long time. Eventualy I upgraded from XP to Windows 7, and found that none of my compiled programs would work anymore. Sloppy programming, I'm sure.

I also created a very quick and dirty platform game, with a gimmick that you could change gravity mid-jump to any direction (up, down, left or right), which would also change the controls. It was a real simple concept but I had a lot of fun moving and jumping around a one-screen level changing gravity to suit my needs. Then VVVVVVVV came out and crushed that dream.

Fast forward to this week, I started to re-write the RetroLibrary using C# and Monogame. I'm not used to OOP, but I'm trying my best not to make too much of a mess. So far, I am able to load a spritesheet and display it on screen using my own render function (which is almost an exact copy of the old one). I must admit to doing a little happy-dance when it worked.

• 2 months later...

Hi.

Totally new to this but I've finally started doing a couple of Unity courses on Udemy to pursue a longstanding desire to get into indie game dev as a hobby. I went to uni originally with loose plan to get into it but ended up getting side-tracked by a career in web development and digital marketing. Finally scratching the itch and it feels great! :)

Only done basic stuff so far, a simple state machine based text adventure, a 3D modelled version of Thrust and an Arkanoid clone. However I'm loving learning and looking forward to the rail shooter/Star Fox clone that is coming as the next part of my course.

A couple of things... would it be okay to share some links on here to test builds for some feedback from you more experienced gang? Also can anyone recommend any good books on the topic? My wife (and Mum) want some suggestions for Christmas gifts. :D 

13 hours ago, Random Key said:

what are you developing for PC/Mobile/etc?

I’m not targeting anything specific at the moment as the Unity course I’m doing is focusing on structure, patterns, techniques, that sort of thing for now. As such the builds have been playing in Unity to test, stand-alone on my Mac or WebGL.

However I’ve got my little black book (it’s actually an Apple Note) of ideas for projects in the future that I add too now and again and they tend to be mobile or console based in my head (and a bit of VR). I picked up an Xbox One cheap at the weekend so intending to get dev mode enabled on that and have a play about on their eventually.

My Thrust style demo really isn’t playing ball lighting wise in WebGL so I’m going to park it for now, however once I’ve finished the first pass on my Arkanoid style game I’ll pop a link up to play in browser. 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so here goes... this game is one of the exercises from the Unity course I'm doing. It's fairly simple mechanics wise (and is mostly along with the course materials), however I've added a lives system and level counter, as well as creating 16 levels that go through single hit bricks, multi-hit bricks and walls. There is a little bonus level at the end too. Anyway please have a good and let me know what you think (be gentle as it's basically the first thing I've shared :wacko: )...

FRACTURE

http://www.sharemygame.com/share/c8583d19-b1af-47ca-ba98-254423daa6ea

FRACTURE is a classic Arkanoid/Breakout style game where you must bounce a ball off bricks to destroy them by moving the paddle with your mouse. Destroying all the bricks completes a levels, and if you drop the ball you lose a life. You have 3 lives to start with and gain one per level completion. There are currently 15 main levels plus a bonus one at the end if you can get to it.

Controls:
Mouse left/right = Move paddle
Mouse click = Launch ball

Levels: 16

Yeah it is. This exercise is actually from the original (1.0) course, but the creators have a brand new 2.0 course out that I'm also doing alongside it using Unity 2017 (that on is being released in batches each week as they are developing it right now).

So far I've really really enjoyed it. The 2.0 course is definitely the more refined one based on what they have learnt works well, if I was to pick one it would be that. But the 1.0 course still has loads of value and good game exercises to work on. I'm following the 2.0 course as my main learning resource then diving into and skimming the game examples of the first course as practice. :)

Has anyone worked much in UE4? I’m doing a Udemy course at the moment, it seems much more intuitive than my (very limited) experience of Unity. Blueprint is amazing as well. The only downside is a real lack of assets on the store, does anyone know if I can use Unity store free assets in UE projects?

Here's some shots of the environment I made to test out the lighting and level creation tools:

Bh5h3xv.png

JmQ2bqD.png

uNAG2w7.png

The only program i ever got on with for creating games is Clickteams Fusion 2.5 (or multi media fusion as it used to be known).

A friend has been doing a course on unity and taught me a bit last weekend. Can't believe i never tried it before, seem to get on half decent with it. Of course, i have hardly touched the scripting side of things yet ( i have never been great at programming) but following some youtube guides etc have definitely helped.

Is there any easy ways to get VR support for unity? Like a object? Would love to make something i could use with my oculus rift.

57 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Is there any easy ways to get VR support for unity? Like a object? Would love to make something i could use with my oculus rift.

I haven't done this (and don't have an Oculus to try it) but my understanding is that the game dev process is broadly the same, but you basically need to install the Oculus plugin for Unity, add a VR specific camera that splits out the left/right feeds (and packages it all up in a VR friendly way).

https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/s/virtual-reality

Hoping to get into a bit of GearVR/Google DayDream work myself in the not too distant future. :)

17 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

I haven't done this (and don't have an Oculus to try it) but my understanding is that the game dev process is broadly the same, but you basically need to install the Oculus plugin for Unity, add a VR specific camera that splits out the left/right feeds (and packages it all up in a VR friendly way).

https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/s/virtual-reality

Hoping to get into a bit of GearVR/Google DayDream work myself in the not too distant future. :)

Thanks for that. It's a shame i didn't try unity before, i had a bunch of free time earlier this year which would have been perfect to learn it.

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2017 at 15:41, Broker said:

Has anyone worked much in UE4? I’m doing a Udemy course at the moment, it seems much more intuitive than my (very limited) experience of Unity. Blueprint is amazing as well. The only downside is a real lack of assets on the store, does anyone know if I can use Unity store free assets in UE projects?

Here's some shots of the environment I made to test out the lighting and level creation tools:

Bh5h3xv.png

JmQ2bqD.png

uNAG2w7.png

It depends what format the unity assets come in, do you get the source files as well?

If you get .fbx files then these can be imported into unreal, in fact a lot of companies will use fbx as their default file format. You'll need to set up shaders as well as importing the texture files as it's this bit which is specific to each editor.

If not I'm not sure if you can export meshes from unity, it's a while since I properly used it.

Edit: if you go the root of importing source files you should be able to find plenty of free assets on the internet. They can be of varying quality ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/10/2016 at 16:22, buizel said:

wooo

hittin in biiggg

RAKIN IN DA MILLIONZZZ

also does someone wanna code this towerfall style co-op game - got it all planned and  ill do the GFX. GameMaker/ClickteamFusion wont work on my Mac :/

heres a mockup screenie

800x600.png

yknow i used to use gamesfactory when i was about 8 years old. knew no coding at the time and managed to work myself through some very simple games using it. this is basically a super new version from what ive used of it. same interface just with expanded mod support and loads of new stuff. at the time i didnt get the grasp of switches and stuff, too complex for my mind - all makes sense now  though.

its very user friendly, though i think theres more of a community for support for GameMaker as it is technically more flexible as it has a coding language i guess?

I realise you posted this aaaaaaages ago, but any chance you are still interested in doing this? I'm looking to start a new project but struggling to come up with ideas. Working on something somebody else has planned sounds ideal! :)

On 10/01/2018 at 22:00, utero2001 said:

Any of you know any good resources/books/tutorials/websites for getting back into, or learning c++ as a programmer coming from other languages? 

Whats your level ? I always used Jamsa's C++ bible Don't know how it stands up today though and I always used it as more of a reference book than a learning tool.

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/10/2018 at 22:00, utero2001 said:

Any of you know any good resources/books/tutorials/websites for getting back into, or learning c++ as a programmer coming from other languages? 

The Unreal 4/C++ course on Udemy is very highly regarded. I haven't used it though and I'm not a developer but I'm planning on going through it sometime soon.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been using Monkey2 for a while.  It's not a game I'm making just now in fact, but an editor for the objects I've used to make a couple of small Android games.  It's all a bit wonky, but I'm a total amateur and I'm pretty pleased with the way it's going.  My main goal is to have it output M2 code that I can use.  The games I've made have been super simple, sort of as a result of not having something like this to arrange all my graphics and physics things.  I've got absolutely tons to do, but here are small vids of me playing with some of the recently added parts of it.

The GUI is also my own, so it's straight out of the 90s.

Edit: these are the wee games I made before, as you can see... I need the editor...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Angus+Arthur

• 2 weeks later...

Just brought a Samsung Gear Sport and was thinking of making a little quiz game, anyone had any experiences with coding apps on Tizen OS?

A quick look seems to indicate it can be coded in C which is good as that's what I code on a daily basis.

• 3 weeks later...

Total shameless plug (and already posted elsewhere on the forum)!

I've made a game for GearVR and Oculus Go. Its called Occupy and its a retro style VR game with a similar play style to paper.io and it is FREE.

Made in Unity. It requires a joypad to play - currently, the 8bitdo, StratusXL and xiaomi mi gamepad are supported. It is recommended that players use the D-pad to control the game - it offers the most responsive and direct reaction.

it is available here - Occupy

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, APM said:

Anyone have any idea how you get developing for the Switch? I've registered for the Nintendo development programme but all I can see on there is the Wii U and 3DS and no mention of the Switch. Anyone got any advice?

I'd be interested to know about this too.

I've heard something about you need to get specifically approved as a developer by Nintendo, someone I'm doing some graphics for is in the same boat - he's been told they'll get back to him but that was months ago...

When you see some of the rubbish on the Wii U, (that's actually still trickling out, a couple of releases a month!), I think they want to avoid a repeat of that situation.

On 06/08/2018 at 13:21, DarkCrisis said:

Started a new game idea I have yesterday...

It's a mix of Super Hexagon and Poker...pretty excited to work on it in my spare time.

I might create a dev blog once I get up and running with it.

"a mix of Super Hexagon and Poker" - I need to know more!

On 15/08/2018 at 13:35, Random Key said:

"a mix of Super Hexagon and Poker" - I need to know more!

After doing some prototyping over last week or so the original idea didn't feel to great however I have got something that feels pretty neat.

It's more 'Poker' cross 'Balls Vs Blocks' now, I'll be spending some more time on it over weekend and I'll see if I can write up a blog post of my idea and progress on Sunday evening.