rllmuk
A nice cup of tea

The Game Development Thread

Any of you know any good resources/books/tutorials/websites for getting back into, or learning c++ as a programmer coming from other languages? 

On 23/10/2016 at 16:22, buizel said:

wooo

hittin in biiggg

RAKIN IN DA MILLIONZZZ

also does someone wanna code this towerfall style co-op game - got it all planned and  ill do the GFX. GameMaker/ClickteamFusion wont work on my Mac :/

heres a mockup screenie

800x600.png

yknow i used to use gamesfactory when i was about 8 years old. knew no coding at the time and managed to work myself through some very simple games using it. this is basically a super new version from what ive used of it. same interface just with expanded mod support and loads of new stuff. at the time i didnt get the grasp of switches and stuff, too complex for my mind - all makes sense now  though.

its very user friendly, though i think theres more of a community for support for GameMaker as it is technically more flexible as it has a coding language i guess?

I realise you posted this aaaaaaages ago, but any chance you are still interested in doing this? I'm looking to start a new project but struggling to come up with ideas. Working on something somebody else has planned sounds ideal! :)

• Upvote 1

On 10/01/2018 at 22:00, utero2001 said:

Any of you know any good resources/books/tutorials/websites for getting back into, or learning c++ as a programmer coming from other languages? 

Whats your level ? I always used Jamsa's C++ bible Don't know how it stands up today though and I always used it as more of a reference book than a learning tool.

On 1/10/2018 at 22:00, utero2001 said:

The Unreal 4/C++ course on Udemy is very highly regarded. I haven't used it though and I'm not a developer but I'm planning on going through it sometime soon.

I've been using Monkey2 for a while.  It's not a game I'm making just now in fact, but an editor for the objects I've used to make a couple of small Android games.  It's all a bit wonky, but I'm a total amateur and I'm pretty pleased with the way it's going.  My main goal is to have it output M2 code that I can use.  The games I've made have been super simple, sort of as a result of not having something like this to arrange all my graphics and physics things.  I've got absolutely tons to do, but here are small vids of me playing with some of the recently added parts of it.

The GUI is also my own, so it's straight out of the 90s.

Edit: these are the wee games I made before, as you can see... I need the editor...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Angus+Arthur

Just brought a Samsung Gear Sport and was thinking of making a little quiz game, anyone had any experiences with coding apps on Tizen OS?

A quick look seems to indicate it can be coded in C which is good as that's what I code on a daily basis.

Total shameless plug (and already posted elsewhere on the forum)!

I've made a game for GearVR and Oculus Go. Its called Occupy and its a retro style VR game with a similar play style to paper.io and it is FREE.

Made in Unity. It requires a joypad to play - currently, the 8bitdo, StratusXL and xiaomi mi gamepad are supported. It is recommended that players use the D-pad to control the game - it offers the most responsive and direct reaction.

it is available here - Occupy

Started a new game idea I have yesterday...

It's a mix of Super Hexagon and Poker...pretty excited to work on it in my spare time.

I might create a dev blog once I get up and running with it.

• Upvote 2

Anyone have any idea how you get developing for the Switch? I've registered for the Nintendo development programme but all I can see on there is the Wii U and 3DS and no mention of the Switch. Anyone got any advice?

17 hours ago, APM said:

Anyone have any idea how you get developing for the Switch? I've registered for the Nintendo development programme but all I can see on there is the Wii U and 3DS and no mention of the Switch. Anyone got any advice?

I'd be interested to know about this too.

I've heard something about you need to get specifically approved as a developer by Nintendo, someone I'm doing some graphics for is in the same boat - he's been told they'll get back to him but that was months ago...

When you see some of the rubbish on the Wii U, (that's actually still trickling out, a couple of releases a month!), I think they want to avoid a repeat of that situation.

On 06/08/2018 at 13:21, DarkCrisis said:

Started a new game idea I have yesterday...

It's a mix of Super Hexagon and Poker...pretty excited to work on it in my spare time.

I might create a dev blog once I get up and running with it.

"a mix of Super Hexagon and Poker" - I need to know more!

On 15/08/2018 at 13:35, Random Key said:

"a mix of Super Hexagon and Poker" - I need to know more!

After doing some prototyping over last week or so the original idea didn't feel to great however I have got something that feels pretty neat.

It's more 'Poker' cross 'Balls Vs Blocks' now, I'll be spending some more time on it over weekend and I'll see if I can write up a blog post of my idea and progress on Sunday evening.

• Upvote 2

On 14/08/2018 at 18:48, APM said:

On 15/08/2018 at 12:34, matt0 said:

I'd be interested to know about this too.

I've heard something about you need to get specifically approved as a developer by Nintendo, someone I'm doing some graphics for is in the same boat - he's been told they'll get back to him but that was months ago...

When you see some of the rubbish on the Wii U, (that's actually still trickling out, a couple of releases a month!), I think they want to avoid a repeat of that situation.

So the first step is to register on the nintendo developer website: https://developer.nintendo.com/

There is actually a guide on that page: https://developer.nintendo.com/the-process

Create Your Account

• Enter the required information on the developer registration form to become a registered game developer for Nintendo platforms.

Prepare for Nintendo Development

• Sign in to the portal using your new account and accept the Non-Disclosure Agreement and Terms of Service to gain access to platform SDKs, developer support, and more information on how to get started.

Create Your Game

• If you have questions or run into any issues, you can go to the community forums to ask for help from other Nintendo developers.

Prepare to Sell Your Game

• When your game nears completion, you can start preparations for the release of your game: sign a publishing agreement, obtain an age rating, and submit your game for review by Nintendo.

Submit Your PR Materials

• Once you are ready to launch your game, you can provide Nintendo with all of the necessary promotional material so that we can prepare your new game's page on the eShop and online catalogs.

Sell Your Game!

• Once you've released your game, we can give you the necessary tools to provide post-launch support for your product, whether this takes the form of downloadable content, updates to the game to fix issues, or price promotions.

I am not entirely sure whether you still need to get permission to view the Switch development part of the website, but once you have access you can order a kit (which is about $900 I think). If you need permission then give me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

If you are making the game in Unity you'll need the official Unity Switch plug-in which allows you to build a switch version, and also the Nintendo Switch SDK installed as well. Also, you game might need some code changes. Anything on console cannot use Just of Time (JIT) compiling. This are more advanced features of C# which you may have used for convenience that you will have to re-write or find alternative methods for. Here is a guide: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ScriptingRestrictions.html

Also, although I haven't worked on the platform, I suspect performance will be another big task. You'll have to make sure you aren't instantiating any objects and basically creating a lot of garbage: https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/performance-optimization/optimizing-garbage-collection-unity-games?playlist=44069

Finally, your game will need to adhere to the Nintendo Switch certification standards. These are like a checklist of things your game needs to do in order to launch on switch and includes (at a guess, as I haven't read them) being playable on all compatible controllers, handling when the controller batteries run out, handling when the system goes to sleep and when your game is minimised while that user looks at the store etc.

I hope that at least gets your guys started!

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Tomdominer said:

So the first step is to register on the nintendo developer website: https://developer.nintendo.com/

There is actually a guide on that page: https://developer.nintendo.com/the-process

I am not entirely sure whether you still need to get permission to view the Switch development part of the website, but once you have access you can order a kit (which is about $900 I think). If you need permission then give me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

If you are making the game in Unity you'll need the official Unity Switch plug-in which allows you to build a switch version, and also the Nintendo Switch SDK installed as well. Also, you game might need some code changes. Anything on console cannot use Just of Time (JIT) compiling. This are more advanced features of C# which you may have used for convenience that you will have to re-write or find alternative methods for. Here is a guide: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ScriptingRestrictions.html

Also, although I haven't worked on the platform, I suspect performance will be another big task. You'll have to make sure you aren't instantiating any objects and basically creating a lot of garbage: https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/performance-optimization/optimizing-garbage-collection-unity-games?playlist=44069

Finally, your game will need to adhere to the Nintendo Switch certification standards. These are like a checklist of things your game needs to do in order to launch on switch and includes (at a guess, as I haven't read them) being playable on all compatible controllers, handling when the controller batteries run out, handling when the system goes to sleep and when your game is minimised while that user looks at the store etc.

I hope that at least gets your guys started!

Nice one, thanks! 

• Upvote 1

I don't think I'll have any issue with my code (I'm being honest in that I know enough to get stuff working and nothing to clever). However I have used serialization for saving stuff. I read this on the that link:

Serialization

AOT platforms may encounter issues with serialization and deserlization due to the use of reflection. If a type or method is only used via reflection as part of serialization or deserialization, the AOT compiler cannot detect that code needs to be generated for the type or method.

Is this going to cause issues?

I'd say possibly, but I couldn't say for sure without trying on a Switch and seeing what happens. I suspect you'll find a couple of things by doing that and need to find workarounds, but the workarounds are usually there and hopefully not too invasive. You're unlikely to encounter anything that means porting is impossible.

3 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

I'd say possibly, but I couldn't say for sure without trying on a Switch and seeing what happens. I suspect you'll find a couple of things by doing that and need to find workarounds, but the workarounds are usually there and hopefully not too invasive. You're unlikely to encounter anything that means porting is impossible.

So what's the normal method for saving data from a unity project on the Switch? 

Afraid I have no experience of Switch development so I don't know about a normal method. That said, based on what you posted it may be possible to force the compiler to compile the any necessary classes by instantating a single instance of them during some startup method. And if it's actual game objects you're serialising, then the compiler should pick them up ok as it knows they're needed for other stuff.

As a last resort you should always be able to write the data to a binary file (or XML, JSON or something if you want a human readable format) manually.

All I'm saving is a series of strings, floats and integers that them get loaded back in at start to tell the game high scores, names, option set up, currency, what ships bought. Nothing too extravagant.

15 hours ago, APM said:

I don't think I'll have any issue with my code (I'm being honest in that I know enough to get stuff working and nothing to clever). However I have used serialization for saving stuff. I read this on the that link:

Is this going to cause issues?

I just downloaded and used a JIT serializer. This one is free and open source: https://github.com/jacobdufault/fullserializer

That writes my save data to json.

//Uses the fs to compress data to json
    public static string Serialize(Type type, object value)
    {
        // serialize the data
        fsData data;
        Serializer.TrySerialize(type, value, out data).AssertSuccessWithoutWarnings();

// emit the data via JSON
        return fsJsonPrinter.CompressedJson(data);
    }

//Reads fs Json data and returns a generic object type, our SaveLoad
    public static object Deserialize(Type type, string serializedState)
    {
        // step 1: parse the JSON data
        fsData data = fsJsonParser.Parse(serializedState);

// step 2: deserialize the data
        object deserialized = null;
        Serializer.TryDeserialize(data, type, ref deserialized).AssertSuccessWithoutWarnings();

return deserialized;
    }

Did anyone take part in GMTK Game Jam?

My son has spent the last two days stretching out the hours. His submission is a arcade shoot em up with no shooting.

https://itch.io/jam/gmtk-2018/rate/301059

The theme was a genre without mechanic.

Beat my high score of 42.4K

• Upvote 3

Hey chaps,

I have some Unity tutorials and visual scripting language tools from a humble bundle that I don't need. PM me if you want them.

EDIT: Now gone.

Next game into development. Top down, twin stick, rogue lite, shooter, dungeon crawler thing. No name, and it's all very random at the moment, but structure will come later.

• Upvote 4

I recommend using an asset pack called "Customizable Grid" for materials @Broker - drop me a PM and I'll sort you out :)

On a related note, does anyone fancy doing a weekly couple of hour dev chat thing via Discord etc? I was wanting to get in on a regular thing to play about in engine and chat about what we are trying to achieve, help each other out and soundboard ideas. 

• Upvote 1