The Game Development Thread

8 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Thanks! I wasn't hugely confident of the way it looks, so that's reassuring to hear :)

I've been quiet the past few weeks, though I've been working on the game on and off; my free time has been more limited in recent weeks (work, social engagements, language learning...), so I've only been able to fit in the odd hour here and there. I'm hoping I should be able to get some done tomorrow, as I'm travelling down to London for work and staying overnight; that should leave me with a good few hours of train travel and a night in a Travellodge with nothing better to do than work on it.

One thing I'm quickly concluding is that I need a better workflow for level design; at the moment it's an extremely manual process, and I think I need to come up with some sort of tool to at least automate basic things (e.g. associating specific collision masks with specific tiles in my set; creating a randomised brush for my texture tiles). No real idea where to start with that, so I see a bit of research on the horizon.

With anything level-based it's worth considering making a full-on level editor, and planning on getting it up to release standard. It sounds like a lot of work, but an awful lot of it will be massively beneficial to you - to streamline your own work flow. There will be a bit of extra work exposing things to the user that you possibly could have lived without, and then a fair whack beyond that making it properly user-friendly and good-looking - but if you commit to it early on, you benefit from its development with much easier level creation, and then at the end you have a great additional feature to your game.

• 2 weeks later...

Started to teach myself how to use Blender now that the interface and controls have been improved in the 2.8 beta, does anyone have any good resource or tutorials that they know of that I can follow. I am pretty new to the whole modelling scene so beginner tutorials would be preferable.

• 1 month later...

Thank you! I've barely worked on it the past few months - late March through to the end of May are always the worst time at work, and this year has been the most unpleasant I've been through in my six years at the company by some margin (all of the standard end/start of year demands, plus my team being down to three out of five staff, plus us going through a restructure; great fun) - I've just not had the brain space to work on it afterwards - hell, I've barely had enough to even play games.

With June things have finally calmed down, and I even got to take some leave last week, during which I destressed and made up for lost gaming time with far too much Total War and Spider-Man, and I'm finally feeling myself again. I even argued with people on the forum about games, so clearly I'm back in my traditional mindset ;)

I'm planning to get back into things this weekend, and I've plenty to do: I need to work on getting a series of levels together, polish up the physics some, and maybe think about adding in a title screen. Which suggests I should probably also pick a title...

So, with a bit of time and headspace to work with, I spent much of Saturday putting together a simple intro and title screen for the game (also making a few tweaks behind the scenes, and adding a few cable tiles to make it clear which buttons and switches affect which doors and forcefields etc.); this also means I've finally settled on a name for the game: Escape ROM. It's a terrible name. I love it.

Obviously it's pretty basic (why yes, I did just massive scale up my robot sprites!), but I think it does the job!

16 hours ago, yakumo said:

What is the best unity course for a complete beginner?

I found this Udemy course to be very good when I did it in late 2017, though I was only a beginner at Unity rather than programming in general. That said, the course does assume you're an absolute beginner and will take you through those fundamentals. You can usually get the course for a little over a tenner.

For what it's worth, I almost landed a job using Unity last autumn (I withdrew late on in the process for other reasons, but had been invited for a further chat when I did), and tomorrow I start a short contract primarily as a Unity developer. The course was good enough to give me the experience and confidence that I could do those jobs.

34 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

I found this Udemy course to be very good when I did it in late 2017, though I was only a beginner at Unity rather than programming in general. That said, the course does assume you're an absolute beginner and will take you through those fundamentals. You can usually get the course for a little over a tenner.

For what it's worth, I almost landed a job using Unity last autumn (I withdrew late on in the process for other reasons, but had been invited for a further chat when I did), and tomorrow I start a short contract primarily as a Unity developer. The course was good enough to give me the experience and confidence that I could do those jobs.

Thanks that sounds really encouraging. At the moment I'm in limbo and I want a different career at this stage of my life, I always wanted to make my games and combine my background of graphics into something more useful.

2 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

Do you have examples of you're work too?

BTW I made a mistake thinking unity was ue4 and not two different things doh!. Can I ask as someone who has no knowledge of programming is one better than the other?. UE4 seems more 3d focused but can you do 3d and isometric as well?. Not sure which to learn as time is my enemy.

Gah, this all makes me wish I had time to try making a game. The closest I've come is a randomly generated rogue-like dungeon crawler that I put into my work's website as an easter egg. Sounds fancy, but the 'dungeon' is just an html table! I've put it into a jsfiddle if anyone fancies a go. I can beat it quite easily, but I'd be curious to see how it plays for someone who doesn't know the ins and outs of the enemy weaknesses and damage types.

https://jsfiddle.net/GokouD/t198p6vo/3/

On 16/06/2019 at 20:22, yakumo said:

BTW I made a mistake thinking unity was ue4 and not two different things doh!. Can I ask as someone who has no knowledge of programming is one better than the other?. UE4 seems more 3d focused but can you do 3d and isometric as well?. Not sure which to learn as time is my enemy.

Unity is more versatile, and uses more modern C# code. It’s easier to code in, and can support a much wider variety of games. There are many free resources to use, but not many built in.

UE4 can get a game up and running very quickly, assuming you want some sort of shooting, driving or melee combat game. It’s quite limited in terms of doing other things easily, though if you learn to code you can do a lot more. It includes a visual tool that allows you to use code functions without writing actual code. It is very easy to get something to look nice, and there’s a lot of resources included. There’s lots of paid resources. It uses more complex C++ code, though some people think learning that is impressive.

• 2 months later...

Wasn't sure where to post so I'll do it here.

I've been putting it off for a while but I've not had much luck finding work since leaving uni so I've figure I might as well get going and make an earnest effort so I can learn programming and the like for games design. What are good places to go to for learning resources?

It depends where you want to focus your efforts. I've not got anything helpful if you're looking to start knocking things up in Unity or Unreal but if you're planning on simpler 2D stuff I'd heartily recommend Gamemaker Studio along with this series of Tom Francis tutorials:

Perfect for a total beginner or someone (me) who can't quite wrap their head around how to structure and think about code.

Hope your work situation improves dude. It's tough out there at the best of times, especially for graduates.

On 04/09/2019 at 00:11, Dig Dug said:

Wasn't sure where to post so I'll do it here.

I've been putting it off for a while but I've not had much luck finding work since leaving uni so I've figure I might as well get going and make an earnest effort so I can learn programming and the like for games design. What are good places to go to for learning resources?

Just to be clear here, do you want to be a game designer or a game programmer?

I want to work as a designer. I studied media and focused my entire masters studying game design. Unfortunately almost every role I've applied for this last year demands designers are able to work with Unreal, Unity etc and in some-cases even know how to write code and be able to program.

I have recently started working on a new project in my spare time, a 3D procedurally generated endless golf game for mobile. I was considering blogging my development process however I haven’t done anything like that before, is it something people would be interested in and if so any recommendations on platform(written only as I wouldn’t be able to show my face on blog for work related reasons)

On 05/09/2019 at 10:54, Dig Dug said:

I want to work as a designer. I studied media and focused my entire masters studying game design. Unfortunately almost every role I've applied for this last year demands designers are able to work with Unreal, Unity etc and in some-cases even know how to write code and be able to program.

There are tonnes of Unity tutorials out there on YouTube, I mean tonnes. 

Just a quick look and I see this one that starts at complete beginner level.

One thing about Unity is that there are a lot of free (or cheap) resources for just about anything you could wish to do. A lot of prototyping can be done without little or no programming knowledge at all this way.

However if your going to start learning to code I'd also look at some introductory stuff on c# coding (this is if you are going to be using Unity again) and try and avoid the javascript stuff you might come across.

• 2 weeks later...

Learning code is taking me back to my school days. It reminds me just how slow I am on the uptake of new things.
I couldn't stand learning to read and write as a child, now as an adult they're two of my favourite things to do.
Hopefully this works out the same in the long run.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, yesterday I released my point and click adventure game, Feria d'Arles

Molly dreams of being the bravest matador in France. Explore the city of Arles and enter the world-famous tournament. Uncover corruption, conspiracy, and a load of bull.

Point and click your way around the French city of Arles, famous for:

• bull fighting
  • being difficult to pronounce
  • being where Van Gogh cut his ear off (and painted some masterpieces, I guess.)

It's 10% for the first week, so you can pick it up for £2.60

Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1181570/Feria_dArles/

Itch: https://tomsimpson.itch.io/feria-darles

396895504_Screen2-Ampitheatre.thumb.png.94feaca25904f6f3a9c66a23be8d8f69.png

FYI @Jamin

• 2 weeks later...

I've just started to like programming again.  I had the love of it kicked out of me after 23 years of crap working for IBM, but a few years after leaving I finally decided to have a go at some stuff.  I found Unity as a pretty easy tool for prototyping (and it would run nicely on my 6 year old iMac (unlike Unreal Engine)) so I started messing around and it become something playable quite quickly.

I say playable - only if you are into fly FPV quads.  I decided I was enjoying it enough to carry on, so released a very early alpha and asked for some feedback. (although this video is mostly just me wittering on about it instead of pure gameplay footage)

So, whilst this is intended for people to use their RC radios to plug into their PCs, it seems like loads of them decided to work in different ways, and all the axis are completely buggered if you want to use an Xbox/PS4 controller.  So aside from needing to go back and allow people to chose axis for stuff, the calibration issue other people hard is a tricker one to fix.

As far as I can see Unity doesn't let you calibrate a joystick, it just expects it to be all good and fine from the OS and that's it.  Anyone know different ?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 22/09/2019 at 18:13, Dig Dug said:

Learning code is taking me back to my school days. It reminds me just how slow I am on the uptake of new things.
I couldn't stand learning to read and write as a child, now as an adult they're two of my favourite things to do.
Hopefully this works out the same in the long run.

Very late reply to this, I’ve only just found the thread.  There are visual scripting tools for both Unreal & Unity.  Unreal has blueprints as a core part of its workflow, and Unity has a plugin called Playmaker which has been used in many games.  How’s the job hunt going?

In the new game I’m working on we have a system where player can report each other’s names.  If a name gets reported by enough players then it’s sanitised, ie they get a random name instead.  But like good old fashioned hell banning the user themselves still sees their old name.

Our first mistake was trusting users to not abuse this feature.  The players who have had their names sanitised are those at the top of the leaderboards.  So I’ve been writing a tool to un-sanitise them.  And to allow us to mark someone as sanitised, so we don’t have to wait for our player base to take action on BaldGayNiqqa - real example of someone who’s only sanitised cause I sanitised them.

It’s the only thing we’ve trusted them on, and they failed us.

• 3 weeks later...

I decided before returning to my Harvest Moon on a moon game, that I'd try to finish my old project Super Thrustforce: Orbital Meat Police (STOMP) which I once tried to Kickstart (thankfully it failed - it would have killed me). It's a game based on the classic Thrust, but with alien cattle abduction as the premise (and a whole load of puns involved). When I first started it I was new to Unity and couldn't get the tractor beam tether mechanic working, so opted for a lesser option for rescuing abducted cows. Returning to it, I've just spent an hour or two with Unity's physics, and have managed to get really close to what I want. Tomorrow will mostly be spent adding plaintive/alarmed mooing sounds to the poor cow, and also the results of you smacking the unfortunate bugger against the scenery. Should be fun! :D

I’m trying to build an endless running with shooting mechanics a bit like Ikaruga where you can change colours.

Pro tip when using UE4, if you get more than 100k units from the origin point at the center of the play space the engine despawns everything and crashes. I’m guessing any UE4 games like that must keep the player static in the center and move the scenery towards the camera, which is what mine is doing now after several hours of work.

5 hours ago, Broker said:

I’m trying to build an endless running with shooting mechanics a bit like Ikaruga where you can change colours.

Pro tip when using UE4, if you get more than 100k units from the origin point at the center of the play space the engine despawns everything and crashes. I’m guessing any UE4 games like that must keep the player static in the center and move the scenery towards the camera, which is what mine is doing now after several hours of work.

Sounds fun!

I believe the advice for many engines is don't stray massively far away from zero. The floating point stuff goes a little haywire the further away you get, IIRC.

But yes, for something like an endless runner I'd always try to be moving the scenery and keeping the player static where possible (not so easy if you want to use physics). The alternative is to find some way to safely re-spot everything periodically when no-one will notice.

One of the brilliant things about games is that they're often doing the opposite of what the player thinks is happening. I worked on this many years ago - the only thing not spinning in this scene is the screw thread (and the UI obvs.). The scenery, the water, the players, the effects and the camera are all spinning away like mad because it's easier than spinning the bit that we needed to look like it was spinning.