The Game Development Thread

23 minutes ago, robdood said:

Is that still the voxel one, yeah? Looks so freaking great man, the style is so *chef's kiss* 

Adore :wub:

Yeah still voxels, trying our hardest to make it look anything but your typical voxel based game tho, more and more low poly bits, pixel art textures and depth of field effects are creeping in.

As for me - I'm still beavering away at Fightman(working title)..  It's just I'm immersed in code this time and trying to plan things out a lot more, so theres little progress to see visually. 

I've almost finished my first Hierarchical Finite State Machine, which has been way more fun to make than I anticipated, mainly because I've managed to so neatly encapsulate the behaviours for my combat system.  It's immensely satisfying. 

Next plan is to hook it up to a (yet to be created) input manager so I can at least test the state flows using debug log / text outputs.

I'm making a bit of a diablo type thing.

I'm just adding player animations for attacks and enemy health, then the basic bare bones of the combat are done. I'm going to add some cooldown based magic attacks and an inventory of some kind but I'm pretty happy with it so far.

39 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Day/night cycle? Cool!

It’s one of those features I just irrationally love. I’d really like dynamic weather and maybe seasonal changes as well but I’m mostly focused on why after I attack it won’t let me attack a second time at the moment. 

• 3 weeks later...

So I didn't go back to the Space Invader clone I was making. I lost interest, as I tend to in these things. It takes too long and I don't see results quick enough so the brain flips the table and goes "fuck this shit". I did some tutorials on RPG maker but I've got an old version and there doesn't seem to be that many that are actually any good so it looks like that's going to go out the window too. It looks versatile if you just want to make a 16 bit JRPG but not much else. I did have a stack of fun writing dialogue for a nun NPC

So now I'm going to move back to Unity or Game Maker or something. Or I'll get bored again. I do have a card game I was going to make years ago in a drawer somewhere, maybe I should go and do that.

Well I am so tired. Unfortunately we didn’t win but I got a really good prototype out of it in 36 hours. I’ll put up a video of the finished thing once I’ve slept, but I’ve been programming for a day and a half and I’m fucking knackered. 

2 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

I did some tutorials on RPG maker but I've got an old version and there doesn't seem to be that many that are actually any good so it looks like that's going to go out the window too. It looks versatile if you just want to make a 16 bit JRPG but not much else. I did have a stack of fun writing dialogue for a nun NPC

It is extremely limited in what it can do. It’s not just that it only does JRPGs, it’s also very limited in how much you can even customise that. Something like Grandia would be a big ask, it basically does SNES FF or Dragon Quest. Unless that’s exactly what you want to do, it’s not a great programme, though I do know that there’s more plugins for some of the older versions that let you mix it up more. 

Have you tried UE4 at all?

6 hours ago, Broker said:

It is extremely limited in what it can do. It’s not just that it only does JRPGs, it’s also very limited in how much you can even customise that. Something like Grandia would be a big ask, it basically does SNES FF or Dragon Quest. Unless that’s exactly what you want to do, it’s not a great programme, though I do know that there’s more plugins for some of the older versions that let you mix it up more. 

Have you tried UE4 at all?

No, I tried to start small and I sucked at that so I kind of chucked it off before I started. I do this a lot. I did get Unity installed and had a look at it. The missus has a Lynda account so I should look on there for tutorials but I'll probably bump up against the same roadblocks indie with TIC 80 and what not. I have very little patience and you need patience for this stuff it seems. I might give Unity a stab over the weekend.

5 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

No, I tried to start small and I sucked at that so I kind of chucked it off before I started. I do this a lot. I did get Unity installed and had a look at it. The missus has a Lynda account so I should look on there for tutorials but I'll probably bump up against the same roadblocks indie with TIC 80 and what not. I have very little patience and you need patience for this stuff it seems. I might give Unity a stab over the weekend.

I think it’s easy to get into a headspace where you think that you’re not cut out for development because it isn’t clicking for you. I’ve been dabbling for years, from Dark Basic to Unreal and Half Life maps, through RPG Maker and Game Maker and into my first attempts with Unity and UE4. When I’ve given up on things in the past, I’ve often thought that maybe I’m just not suited to game development, because I keep trying but it never sticks. 

One thing I’ve found recently, is that it’s really just about finding something that feels comfortable and sticking at it no matter how crap you feel about it. If you’ve got the patience for hundreds of hours of the same game, or to learn an instrument, or to learn to draw, you’ve got the patience for game development. The fact you’ve repeatedly tried it says just as much about you as the fact you’ve given up, and whilst it’s tempting to spend time thinking about how much better you could be by now if one of those attempts had stuck, you can’t change the past. 

I found that going back to Uni was hugely helpful, but I think any course will help. It’s almost better to not use an existing account or 90% off Udemy course, because the commitment of paying money for something can help guilt you into doing it. In my first year we did some 3D design and some coding and I hated being the programmer. But as I’ve applied myself more to those things I’m finding them more and more enjoyable. I’ve never really stuck at anything or tried before, often because I’m scared of failing, but the people who are good aren’t natural savants, they’ve just kept on plugging away. 

I’d suggest keeping on trying things, and give UE4 a go. It’s very easy to get something basic running and start messing with it, which helped me. The visual scripting lays all the code out in nodes and is much easier to parse than written code. It’s easy to import your own art and implement it. You’re an incredibly talented artist, you’d be amazing at drawing textures, and even if doing the whole thing isn’t for you, you could do bits and pieces or join a team or enter a game jam and you’d be really valuable. Don’t give up!

So my game jam experience was pretty amazing. We had 36 hours to produce a demo, teams of 4-8 people (we had 7). The theme was sustainability with our team being asked to focus on energy. I did programming only, so had pretty much no input on the design side and didn't participate in any of the research (pretty much just focused on coding for the whole time outside of sleeping for 6 hours). I did suggest a 3rd person character driven game, because that's what I'm most comfortable with, but all the design aspects were taken out of my hands which was actually really liberating. I wouldn't have made the choices the team did with regards to graphics, names etc but that wasn't my problem and I really enjoyed firing on all cylinders for a day and a half to see how much we could get done from scratch.

Here's the final video of our project:

• 3 weeks later...

I know it goes slightly against the idea of solo efforts, but having all the artistic or 3d modelling prowess of a dead-hamster - I was looking into some Assets to help with content creation and picked up a few in the recent Unity sale.

In a poll, the users of my sim said they most wanted another level, so I decided to create a bigger and more interesting cityscape (as my current one has a few sparse buildings) I tried an Asset called Cscape which seems to lack almost completely in documentation aside from a few videos the author made 3 years ago and struggled along with in broken english.

But essentially it's a case of setting how big you want your city to be, hit generate and it comes up with something nice.  From that point you can easily edit any of the building individually - in terms of size, look, etc, and obviously delete things or put other stuff in.  I've stuck a test level into my sim and it performs pretty well.  I resisted turning on all the bells and whistles with added post-processing and I've kept street lights and trees out of the city for now as they are just things you'd collide with.  The included scripts will detect when you've moved the lighting away and turn the lights on which gives an excuse to fly at night.

Also..... can any of you guys give the Quad-ball game a try to see how it feels?  From the sim point of view, I'm hearing that people seem scared of the difficulty level - and I'm not sure if this is because it's a) too difficult, b) sim people aren't gamers so don't like any repeated failure or c) it's just not fun for anyone.

Always difficult to tell when you've come up with it yourself and think it's pretty fun.  On the downside, flying with a regular xbox/ps4 joystick is much more difficult than a traditional RC radio (but there's an option to choose joypad to make the throttle a bit easier) but if you can get the regular flying under control, then you shouldn't have a problem.

Here's an example level of the game -

You can pick the whole sim (which includes the game part) for free on github here https://github.com/CurryKitten/CurryKitten-Sim/releases/tag/0.54-Beta

4 hours ago, CurryKitten said:

Also..... can any of you guys give the Quad-ball game a try to see how it feels?  From the sim point of view, I'm hearing that people seem scared of the difficulty level - and I'm not sure if this is because it's a) too difficult, b) sim people aren't gamers so don't like any repeated failure or c) it's just not fun for anyone.

I've never flown anything like this so bear than in mind with my feedback. I've also not looked into control configurations, so the feedback below is based on the two presets. I'm not sure how much use it is.

In Radio control mode I'm largely useless. I can get the craft close to the ball, but by the time I get there I'm rarely in a state to do anything useful with it. I can understand what I want the craft to do, but I've got many years of FPS controls ingrained in my system and so I really struggle to achieve anything. I want all my "look-around" controls on the same stick, basically, so was constantly rolling when I wanted to be yawing. I haven't got anywhere near enough control to even begin to know what I'd want roll for, and yet I keep instinctively doing it, because I want yaw coupled with pitch.

In Gamepad mode, I much preferred the throttle being an active thing, but I still struggled from the same issues with the controls I wanted being split across two sticks.

If I can remap the sticks the way I'd want them to be, and maybe just disable roll for now (maybe as a beginner's option) then I think I'd be in with a shout (as I said I haven't looked at the options, so maybe this is all already doable). Sounds very negative, but I hope it's helpful.

1 hour ago, MarkN said:

I've never flown anything like this so bear than in mind with my feedback. I've also not looked into control configurations, so the feedback below is based on the two presets. I'm not sure how much use it is.

In Radio control mode I'm largely useless. I can get the craft close to the ball, but by the time I get there I'm rarely in a state to do anything useful with it. I can understand what I want the craft to do, but I've got many years of FPS controls ingrained in my system and so I really struggle to achieve anything. I want all my "look-around" controls on the same stick, basically, so was constantly rolling when I wanted to be yawing. I haven't got anywhere near enough control to even begin to know what I'd want roll for, and yet I keep instinctively doing it, because I want yaw coupled with pitch.

In Gamepad mode, I much preferred the throttle being an active thing, but I still struggled from the same issues with the controls I wanted being split across two sticks.

If I can remap the sticks the way I'd want them to be, and maybe just disable roll for now (maybe as a beginner's option) then I think I'd be in with a shout (as I said I haven't looked at the options, so maybe this is all already doable). Sounds very negative, but I hope it's helpful.

This was always the fear - I think that a regular gamer could destroy the game, but the act of flying is different than normal.  I thought I was immune to this, just played through Last of Us 2 and no problem with move/look on the sticks, but just trying out Subnautica today and my mind is screwed up because yaw and roll are reversed and I keep hitting things in the little sub-thingy.

But yes, you can remap the sticks - either use the remap button in the radio/joystick setup screen, or go into the advanced page from their and you can reallocate each axis as you go.  The no roll idea is an interesting one - perhaps mixing in roll and yaw to complete a coordinated turn.  For now you could also try in autolevel mode (press m) so the quad always comes back to centre if you let go of the sticks.

Appreciate you having a go and giving some feedback - most useful.