rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
HarMGM

Fire Emblem Awakening

Looks good. I'm not too familiar with this series (only played Sacred Stones), but they have such an appealing visual style to me compared to most other Japanese strategy or roleplaying games, not any wildly exaggerated characters, but ones that look more real. And I like how simple the battle system is, yet how punishing it is at the same time with the perma-death.

What did Iwata say?

In any case, Iwata is cool. Nintendo should put him in all trailers.

This is due over here next month and it's got rave reviews all over the damn place - a 92 average on metacritic with scores ranging from 85 to 100. It looks soooo gooood. Here are some introductory videos for you to watch and get all frothy about:

Here's the IGN video review:

Seriously, this game needs more hype around here, it's the closest thing we're getting to Advance Wars, it's packed with content, it's highly polished and there's months of decent DLC (some of it free) coming out afterwards. Bring it on!

BONUS IWATA ASKS LINK! http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/fire-emblem/0/0

• Upvote 1

Definitely worth reading ( maybe in a couple of sittings) that iwata asks. It does cover the new play style option and gives a few of their opinions on it. I think it will be worth it for me to maybe play on hard with the no permadeath. I usually obsess over keeping everyone alive which means having to reset a level once I lose a character. I guess you`ll get a feel for whether youve made the right choice in the first few levels. On hard the ememies can tend to be too perfect though... Yes I shall be picking this up! Didnt realise it was so soon.

Already got the money put to one side for the Limited Edition 3DS bundle... Can't bloody wait!

My first 3DS experience will be this and Luigis Mansion 2! :wub:

• Upvote 2

I think I kind of prefer the look of the battle animations in the GBA one they gave away to ambassadors; the spear piercing mercilessly straight through the face of the enemy soldiers in battle looks ludicrously fierce. There are so many perfect little touches in the animation.

I've barely seen the 3DS version though, so I'm sure I'll find it amazing in exactly the same ways. The GBA one is my first fire Emblem but it plays similarly enough to the few turn-based strategy games I've played; sort of like Advance Wars crossed with Final Fantasy Tactics. I loved those games, so I love this too. I do wish I had the self control to soldier on when a character dies, rather than restarting the mission. I think the game would have more impact that way.

Restarting just because you let one of your mans or womans die is cheating

• Upvote 1

I mentioned in the 3DS thread that I had this. It's a good balance of the old Fire Emblem gameplay with enough of a learning curve for new players.

It's very, very good indeed.

The difficulty on the Wii one was weird. On easy it was impossible to even lose a single character for about half of the game, before finally getting challenging from the middle to the end. On hard, it was basically impossible to even get off the first level without everyone being dead

With this one, Normal is very easy and doesn't get challenging until about 2/3rds through the game. (like the Wii one you mentioned)

Hard is probably an appropriate challenge for someone who has played Fire Emblem before.

Lunatic difficulty is stupid. It took me about 40 tries to get out of the prologue!

• Upvote 2

Restarting just because you let one of your mans or womans die is cheating

As far as I could see it would be fairly impossible to complete sacred stones without enough good high level characters left. When games cheat you , you have to cheat back. I dont think that problem will be present here though as there appears to me many ways to find new additional characters to enlist. Including through streetpass and your characters offspring. Only making it harder to choose what difficulty to set :).

Shopto preorders don't but are £10 cheaper. Do want the art book though as the character design in this is lovely.

Game pre-orders now come with an art book

Do we know anything about the book? How many pages, is it sold separately elsewhere, etc?

I liked the demo of this although I really hated the obnoxious anime wanker characters. Never played a fire emblem game before. I'm assuming the gameplay will make up for it, right?

Just picked this up from town today, the art book is really nice hardback number. I can take some photos later if anyone wants to see.

The game itself has a few nice difficulty options at the beginning allowing new players to not feel the pressure of units dying for good etc.

My online gripe from the very little i have played this morning is that the online seemed to do nothing at all? is this just because the game came out today?

I've never played Fire Emblem before, but the reviews have me intrigued.

But is this like Disgaea? It looks all griddy and numbery and that normally puts me right off.

I liked the demo of this although I really hated the obnoxious anime wanker characters. Never played a fire emblem game before. I'm assuming the gameplay will make up for it, right?

Depends if you like tactics games. I really like the Fire Emblem series but find the dialogue varies from dull to excruciating. Happily you can spin through the text and just play the game which is always, to my mind, superb. I should qualify that by saying I'm only about an hour into Awakening.

Thought I'd pop to the shops today and treat myself. Only to find nowhere within a reasonable driving distance is stocking it.

Even went to a large Sainsbury's, Tesco's and Blockbuster. But no luck sadly :/

I've never played Fire Emblem before, but the reviews have me intrigued.

But is this like Disgaea? It looks all griddy and numbery and that normally puts me right off.

It is quite numbery, yes, but in a good way. It's totally upfront about what can happen, like, you have a 75% chance to do 20 damage. So you end up in situations where you can do a sequence of moves and the whole level hinges on a such a moment. 75% chance to win or lose.. are you feeling lucky, punk? It's all there in front of you, your decision. You WILL stare at these screens for ages agonising on whether to hit attack or not.

Actually, one thing they have introduced is the dual strike thing where someone beside you attacks with you.. sometimes. I don't much like that, seems to me to dilute the stat based purity. Unless there is some way of telling.

As for anime wankery, it is true that it is all a bit "flirty co-eds". Hopefully it will get more gritty, Sacred Stones sure did. Almost had a Game of Thrones vibe at times.

• Upvote 2

Just picked this up from town today, the art book is really nice hardback number. I can take some photos later if anyone wants to see.

The game itself has a few nice difficulty options at the beginning allowing new players to not feel the pressure of units dying for good etc.

My online gripe from the very little i have played this morning is that the online seemed to do nothing at all? is this just because the game came out today?

With the US version you get new team members, weapons, items and battles released over WiFi via the Bonus Box each week since its release, in fact they are still releasing them now. You have to complete the first few chapters before you can access the in game store to buy DLC as well.