rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
hub2

H.P. Lovecraft - Recommendations & Discussion

Just bought the Mountains one, good find! (And I also found out that guy sells isometric grid notepads too ^_^)

"On the barren shore, and on the lofty ice barrier in the background, myriads of grotesque penguins squawked and flapped their fins; while many fat seals were visible on the water, swimming or sprawling across large cakes of slowly drifting ice."

"The great river was now lifeless, and the upper sea had lost most of its denizens except the seals and whales. All the birds had flown away, save only the great, grotesque penguins."

He doesn't like penguins does he?

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, rumblecat said:

The Complete HP Lovecraft Collection free on Kindle at the moment. By complete it means including the poetry, letters and essays as well. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D3K19FS

Nice find, thanks.

I highly recommend the Duke St Worship's recent HP Lovecraft project which features Laurence R. Harvey reading From Beyond and The Hound over a very effective and wonderfully organic synth score.

http://www.the-monitors.com/2015/12/11/premiere-the-duke-st-workshop-with-laurence-r-harvey/

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Captain Novaforce said:

Reminds me of the guy who did the Lovecraft word count, seeing how many times odd / Lovecraftian words were repeated.

Without clicking the link, see if you guess how many times cyclopean, nameless and accursed were used. In classic click bait style... number two really surprised us..!!!

Sadly 'gibbous' only slots in with nine mentions, but it does feel like a lot more... 

http://arkhamarchivist.com/wordcount-lovecraft-favorite-words/

Eldritch and Gambrel are both quite high, they are two that always nip at my repetometer when he drops them.

When me and my mates used to play Eye of the Beholder together, out main magic user was called Ozric*, our thief always Eldritch.

*Of the Tentacles kind.

On 3/18/2016 at 0:14 PM, Captain Novaforce said:

"On the barren shore, and on the lofty ice barrier in the background, myriads of grotesque penguins squawked and flapped their fins; while many fat seals were visible on the water, swimming or sprawling across large cakes of slowly drifting ice."

"The great river was now lifeless, and the upper sea had lost most of its denizens except the seals and whales. All the birds had flown away, save only the great, grotesque penguins."

He didn't like most things!

• Upvote 4

I've just started the huge hardback annotated collection of HPL stories which I got for Christmas. I've read his stuff piecemeal since I was a kid but never sat down and gone through a chunk of them in chronological order so it should be fun. Also going to be re-listening to the relevant HP Podcast episodes as I go along.

This one http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Annotated-H-Lovecraft-Books/dp/0871404532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458478889&sr=8-1&keywords=annotated+hp+lovecraft 

@Anne Summers When i had more time for podcasts i was doing that too. I thoroughly recommend looking at the podcasts and choosing which stories to read based on which one is being covered next. very enjoyable.

• Upvote 1

I've listened to all the episodes of the podcraft, and read everything they did plus a couple of others.

I just came in because I've just finished watching the film "H.P Lovecraft's dagon".

It's basically Shadow Over Innsmouth BUT instead of staying close to the script they filmed it in resident evil 4's house instead!

Is that actually worth a watch then?

The only decent Lovecraft related film I've ever watched is the HPL Historical Society version of The Whisperer in Darkness.

On 3/26/2016 at 10:58 PM, chris on the moon said:

I've listened to all the episodes of the podcraft, and read everything they did plus a couple of others.

I just came in because I've just finished watching the film "H.P Lovecraft's dagon".

It's basically Shadow Over Innsmouth BUT instead of staying close to the script they filmed it in resident evil 4's house instead!

I'm not sure what that film is, but Dagon is actually another Lovecraft story. The first I read and one of my favourite. It's framed as a suicide note by a guy driven crazy by fear over discovering the existence of evil fish men.

Dagon was one of the first I read too (I've read basically everything, fiction wise). The film I was talking about has basically nothing to do with that short story, it's mostly shadow over innsmouth but it's not very faithful.

Paper back copies on amazon seem to be 3-5 weeks delivery

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Thanks - I'm not a fan of reading digital copies.  I like stuff in my hand.