IGNORED

Good new horror films

squirtle

I really really liked Stake Land. It's pretty slow moving, but I seem to love slow moving films.

It's a vampire thing (as you could probably have guessed), but they're more like zombies with fangs than your regular vampires. Reminded me a bit of Walking Dead and 28 Days Later. Zombieland (also good), which I watched at a later date, had a lot of parallels, but more comedic.

This film made me feel a lot more tense than most other horror films I've seen.

Just finished watching Insidious. What the fucking fuck was that? To be fair it had its moments in the first half of the film, but the second half was so relentlessly stupid and it all looked really cheap as well. At times it bordered on unintentional comedy, at others it tried to do Kubrick and failed.

Just, wow.

I had the misfortune of seeing Insidious at the weekend too; I was fooled by some weirdly positive reviews.

What the hell were they thinking with the second half? Like some stupid childish campy Scooby Doo-alike. Well amateur.

Plus votes for Eden Lake, Wolf Creek and The Orphanage though, although admittedly these are about as off-the-beaten-path I get with horrors (the gf doesn't like them at all). Especially Eden Lake; f-ing great I thought, really tapping into a vein of cultural consciousness.

you know when the devil's possessing shit, left right and centre, in all these films, right?

where's God, and why doesn't he do something about it?

Too busy convincing outspoken youtube religionists to make fools of themselves.

Is 'The Awakening' any good? Anyone seen it?

It's ok, a bit silly.

Saw Lake Mungo last night which I thought was great and one of the more inventive horror films of recent years, very creepy without ever resorting to jump scares. There's a real underlying sense of sadness and melancholia to the film.

• 3 weeks later...

'Them' is worth watching, ending is a bit misjudged but up until then it's pure tension.

Watched 'Prey' and didn't rate it that much. Maybe worth a drunken after-pub view.

Flanders was a weird one. Part art-house, part war-commentary but with many horror elements to it. Intriguing and well worth a watch if you're into using your brain when viewing exploding brains.

I watched Julia's Eyes. What an odd film that was. Felt very Argento-ish in many ways. Not sure if it was any good and the ending is just pure bizarre.

I also watched Tucker and Dale Vs Evil. Which I thought was brilliant. Obviously not an all out horror film and quite slapstick in places, but thoroughly enjoyable from beginning to end.

• 1 month later...

And I wasn't wrong. That was really unsettling viewing. I can't say I enjoyed it as there is just no let up in its grim nature. I'd recommend it though to fans of the found footage genre.

I do want to see this but all I can find are dodgy Youtube clips.

I thought the actual found footage videotape bits in The Poughkeepsie Tapes was really well done but the mock interviews with FBI agents let it down. I think their central idea was good but they seemed to focus all their energies on that and forget about the rest of it.

I only recently got around to seeing The Awakening and it really reminded me of something I might have seen in an English lesson at school. I was half expecting to have to write an essay at the end of it about how it wasn't a ghost story but a study of a relationship between two people who had experienced tragedy in their lives.

I thought the actual found footage videotape bits in The Poughkeepsie Tapes was really well done but the mock interviews with FBI agents let it down. I think their central idea was good but they seemed to focus all their energies on that and forget about the rest of it.

Yeah, it's pretty clear that some of the "FBI" guys are just their mates. The guy who watched the tapes and the dismemberment expert spring to mind. The rest were ok though. The older actors were all pretty decent. They could have done without the ambient noise soundtrack though on several scenes.

It did it's job though and left me feeling a little odd when I went to bed last night on my own (the missus and my little boy are away for the weekend).

I'm forty mins into Eden Lake at the moment, and I wish I read this thread properly. I skimmed through it and chose to watch this cause it's got a nice name ffs. I was expecting a horror and all I'm getting is hateful Daily mail hysterics. Why is literally every character in the film apart from the lovely, well to do couple a complete scumbag? Not wasting any more time with it.

Watched Session 9 today. Was ok.

Watching The Poughkeepsie Tapes at the moment. Seems very dark and brutal so far.

Just got done watching this.

The ending interview is truly horrific. The whole film was very bleak and oppressive but that was just another level. Truly unsettling.

EDIT: The Poughkeepsie Tapes, not Session 9.

Just got done watching this.

The ending interview is truly horrific. The whole film was very bleak and oppressive but that was just another level. Truly unsettling.

EDIT: The Poughkeepsie Tapes, not Session 9.

Indeed.

"I don't know. What would you like me to say?"

She's just totally broken, and it's quite horrible.

I'm forty mins into Eden Lake at the moment, and I wish I read this thread properly. I skimmed through it and chose to watch this cause it's got a nice name ffs. I was expecting a horror and all I'm getting is hateful Daily mail hysterics. Why is literally every character in the film apart from the lovely, well to do couple a complete scumbag? Not wasting any more time with it.

I seem to remember it being called a 'Hoodie Horror', it's a bit of sub-genre it seems, as I've seen another British horror film set in a school where the hooded assailants seemed a bit more supernatural as you don't see their faces, can't remember the name off hand.

I suppose it's the British equivalent of all those American redneck horror films, I imagine the people who get portrayed as the evil ones in those get a bit pissed too.

Shit seems a bit damning, I remember it being sort of passable, I've seen considerably worse films, it wasn't as good as Eden Lake.

There is a pretty long history of people from more rural areas being portrayed as villains in horror films, the islanders in The Wicker Man for example.

Saying that, I don't recall too many films where rich people are the assholes the main characters have to survive.

Wasn't a big fan of Blood River personally. A lot of the appeal of a good psychological thriller, for me at least, is you can't see where it is going or at the very least the journey goes down some diverting avenues along the way. Despite this low budget effort looking quite nice and being reasonably well acted (for 90% of the film there are only three people in it which means they have some money for half decent actors for once) it takes a very long time to get to a place where the audience got to an hour earlier. Who these people are, especially the stranger, is so obvious from the outset it was surprising to see how long they stretched out the reveal. Even with this fault the director does an okay job at keeping things ticking over and maintaining enough tension so you don't lose all interest and the ending, although obvious, still just about works. It is just a shame they couldn't conceal the reveal a bit better so it didn't feel like it was treading water for so long.

A fair point although a little high with the numbers. Just imagine the crap I could watch if I managed 15 films a day.

You must have to watch a lot of crap anyway. I kinda admire anyone passionate (or mad) enough to do that because I know I just give in if I see nothing redeeming in a film after ten or fifteen minutes.

Has anyone seen Jacobs Ladder? I looks interesting and it seems like a horror/psychological thriller type thing. May watch it later.