Good new horror films

On 03/08/2020 at 21:36, Popo said:

Thanks for posting this - Netflix recommends me all the shit under the sun they host but this one slipped under the radar without a peep. 

Watched the first 3 episodes tonight with my partner - we both love a good scare and really enjoyed what we saw. 

Looking forward to finishing it off tomorrow. I had to sleep with the light on for a few days after I saw the original movie, this is a great interpretation of the concept. 

And finished - enjoyable scares but it didn’t make a lick of sense! 

Spoiler

In the last episode, where they have the seance and the ghost of the guy sets about the pregnant woman, I couldn’t believe they’d just leave the mother in the attic to continue the seance alone - harsh as fuck! :lol:

21 hours ago, Popo said:

And finished - enjoyable scares but it didn’t make a lick of sense! 

Hide contents

In the last episode, where they have the seance and the ghost of the guy sets about the pregnant woman, I couldn’t believe they’d just leave the mother in the attic to continue the seance alone - harsh as fuck! :lol:

Its Horror, its expected characters doing some dumb stuff:D

I thought Host was excellent. There's been a few of these films in recent years where everything is filmed from the perspective of a computer screen (Unfriended, Searching) but this was the most effective. Watching it late at night with headphones, on a computer made for a really good experience. One hour long, no messing about - really enjoyed it.

Not a spoiler as such, but just in case..

Spoiler

one of the women spends most of the scary part hiding under a blanket, which is exactly what I'd probably do in that scenario as well. 

• Upvote 1
47 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

I thought Host was excellent. There's been a few of these films in recent years where everything is filmed from the perspective of a computer screen (Unfriended, Searching) but this was the most effective. Watching it late at night with headphones, on a computer made for a really good experience. One hour long, no messing about - really enjoyed it.

Not a spoiler as such, but just in case..

Hide contents

one of the women spends most of the scary part hiding under a blanket, which is exactly what I'd probably do in that scenario as well. 

Did you notice 

Spoiler

the counter in the top left hand corner counting down to zero as they were taking pictures at the end. My wife was like "look at the counter, its nearly zero". It was super effective to do all this within the Zoom time-limit.

My only issues were the breaking of immersion when Teddy was just pointing the camera at all the bad shit and when Jemma picked up the laptop to wonder around Haleys flat. Obviously I get as an audience we need to see stuff but also it took me out of it a little. I think it would have worked better for Jemma to have switched from her laptop to her phone when she went over to Hayleys (to keep connected with Emma) and we saw it from that POV.

7 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Did you notice 

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Nice. I hadn't noticed that but I did know about the 1 hour limit on the free version of Zoom, it was cool the way they built that into the running time.

I think 90 minutes + wouldn't have worked. But an hour (same length as Inside No 9. or something like that) was perfect. 

You could do worse than Sea Fever which is on Sky.  A low budget Irish film set on a fishing trawler and heavily influenced by Event Horizon and to a lesser extent The Thing.

I watched The Perfection after the recommendations on here, and have to say that I came away with massively mixed up feelings.  I've always enjoyed lesbian cello players and thought this sounded interesting, but it left me...  Well

Not knowing anything about it I really liked the way the story developed, and the way that she got sick, then the insects in the vomit, it was great.  Then the film rewound and I thought, ooh twisty!  But that put me in mind that everything that happened next would also probably rewind later so I was predicting that the two women were working together, even though I didn't know how or why.  Then the child abuse stuff happened and I found it too uncomfortable.  

I have a thing in horror films where I wonder about the treatment of child actors.  I hope that they filmed the scenes with the young girl in isolation, without anyone following the story because the hands on the shoulders and the overall premise of why she is there was just horrible.  But the child abuse aspect seemed unnecessary, they could have had a non sexual regime... I dunno, it just felt deliberately shocking and up to that point it was really intriguing.  I really liked the first half up to the hand chop (and wow does the trailer ruin this movie) 

But the abuse stuff I thought felt deliberately strong and there were other approaches that would have been better and retained the tone of the first half.

But it's great when she pulls out the meat cleaver and you're like "what the hell?"

I've actually watched a couple of films recently thanks to this thread.

First up was Colo(u)r Out of Space which was brilliant and became far more horrific than I was expecting. Great stuff, and nice to see Richard Stanley come back so strongly.

Next I watched Come to Daddy. Not exactly a horror film but after (minor spoiler)

it completely changes direction about half way through it lost its intrigue but became a very funny "ordinary guy forced into violence" thriller.

Decent performance from Elijah Baggins. I notice the director was also involved with the entertaining Housebound so I'll be keeping an eye out for more of his stuff.

On 01/08/2020 at 23:31, Parappa said:

Crickey. Extra Ordinary has just made its way into one of my fave films of all time..

Cheers all for recommendations

Another vote for Extra Ordinary here. Just watched it tonight and found it really engrossing. Excellent film.

• Upvote 1

Watched Sputnik after the football and it was decent enough. It riffs on a bunch of other films (Alien, The Thing, some low-rent Tarkovsky philosophy, the music is lifted shamelessly from Brad Fiedels Terminator score) and it doesn't quite come together but it was a good effort.

The trio at the centre of the film, a cosmonaut, a doctor and an army colonel, are very good. And the interplay between them lifts this above your standard sci-fi schlock. The monster itself is well designed but some of the CGI is a little rough. I really liked the Soviet analogue tech - lots of clunky buttons and grainy TV monitors. And even with a relatively long running time it's well paced and never drags.

I think it will go down well in this thread. 

• Upvote 2

I just watched Host - brilliant! Perhaps verging just too slightly on the side of showing too much at times, nonetheless it managers to maintain a fantastic tension throughout, some great jump-scares and, for only being an hour long, felt tight yet fully formed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone "attending" Frightfest 2020?

Last night I saw "There's no such thing as Vampires" (overtones of Carpenter and Near Dark) and "Triggered" which is a less good version of Saw x Battle Royale with no sympathetic characters.

On today's list:

The Honeymoon Phase

Playhouse

They're Outside (really looking forward to this one)

Dark Place

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, DirkCrisis said:

Anyone "attending" Frightfest 2020?

Last night I saw "There's no such thing as Vampires" (overtones of Carpenter and Near Dark) and "Triggered" which is a less good version of Saw x Battle Royale with no sympathetic characters.

On today's list:

The Honeymoon Phase

Playhouse

They're Outside (really looking forward to this one)

Dark Place

Yep!

Watched I Am Lisa and 12 Hour Shift last night. I Am Lisa is a basic revenge film with a totally unexplored werewolf element seemingly added just to give the film a USP. It didn;t help that the extent of the lycanthropopy was never much more than contact lens, vampire fangs and long nails,  Pretty poor really.

12 Hour Shift was a little better, @Vimster posted a good review in the last film you watched thread although I personally didn't find it to be very funny. It was  decent enough idea though but still nowhere near essential.

Starting with The Columnist today and finishing on Dark Place. The inbetweener films are still undecided...

• Upvote 1

On the cards for me at FrightFest today:

The Columnist

Playhouse

They're Outside

Don't Click

I thought 12 Hour Shift was very entertaining, dry and dark humour, but comedy is always very subjective.

• Upvote 1

@Mike S Good to hear about I Am Lisa. I couldn't fit it in and was worried I was missing out so sort of good it was a bit crap from my perspective. The Honeymoon Phase had a decent trailer but am not super excited about it. I think Dark Place might have also been fairly high on our watchlist too.  

1 hour ago, DirkCrisis said:

@Mike S Good to hear about I Am Lisa. I couldn't fit it in and was worried I was missing out so sort of good it was a bit crap from my perspective. The Honeymoon Phase had a decent trailer but am not super excited about it. I think Dark Place might have also been fairly high on our watchlist too.  

Yeah, you definitely didn't miss much with LIsa.

The Columnist was great, a proper cut above the other films I've watched so far. The story of a left wing newspaper columnist plagued by trolls and social media bullies who decides enough is enough and exerts violent revenge. It's really well made, well acted, shot, scored, etc and, although the plot is full of holes  it's still a great watch with little to no fat or padding to slow down or distract from the story.  I'd recommend it.

Not sure on whether to go with The Horror Crowd doc or The Playhouse next but first I need to make some espresso to stick in the fridge ready for a few espresso martinis this evening. Hell, maybe even a Black Russian for the evening session..

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Vimster said:

I thought 12 Hour Shift was very entertaining, dry and dark humour, but comedy is always very subjective.

Definitely.

My biggest hurdle was that the hospital set horror black comedy vibe just made me think of the deranged madness of Re-animator even though, bar the setting, they are different in every single way. 12 Hour Shift just felt a bit flat and stilted - it needed that spark of life and style to really deliver on the promise of the plot.