Good new horror films

4 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Yeah, I was definitely getting a taste of early Raimi, and also Peter Jackson. As much for the film not being afraid to do its own thing, whilst throwing in plenty of surprises, as for any direct riffing on those guys. Also, the lead was channeling Bruce Campbell in places - the finale in the house was quite something...

Thanks again to @Goose for bringing it to our attention.

Yeah agree with everything you say. And obviously thanks @Goose what a recommendation. 

Bloody Hell was good fun, enjoyed that a lot. The lead had a great confidence and charisma that really went a long way. 

I wouldn't say it's strictly horror, and does have some laughs. However, there's plenty of blood and I think if the film didn't have some kind of comic foil, it had the potential to be incredibly dark. I mean, it is incredibly dark, but it's very well balanced. It's not original but it knows the material, and knows how to play it to its best potential.

The only thing I'd change (major end spoilers)

Spoiler

It would have been funnier if Rex's alternate personality had appeared to stop Alia's personality killing the friend

I watched the first 10 minutes or so then chose to put something else on, I wasn't enjoying the tone of the movie to be honest.  Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood, Ill give it another go.

5 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Yeah I enjoyed Bloody Hell too. The lead was great and reminded me of Ryan Reynolds. A Google discovered another movie with him as the lead (Nekrotronic) on Amazon prime which looks just my kind of schlocky trashy fun too.

Same director as Wyrmwood which I really enjoyed as well. Cheers for the heads-up 

On 16/01/2021 at 06:58, marcus said:

I watched the first 10 minutes or so then chose to put something else on, I wasn't enjoying the tone of the movie to be honest.  Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood, Ill give it another go.

Ugh, totally agree. I made it 12 minutes in.

I'll give it another try some time, but I've a feeling it's just gonna grate.

Posted about "Hunted" in the the other thread. You lot should get a kick out of it!

22 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Hunted

Really fun "escape from the bad guy" survival horror but it's played like a darkly comic fairy tale.
The director is definitely one to watch and the performances are really strong.
It's a shudder original so I can't imagine the budget would have been that big but you'd never know.
Really good!

***½

1 minute ago, Quest said:

I also abandoned Bloody Hell. Something very off-putting about it.

Would love to understand what this was, especially as I didn't bounce off it at all and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

I have been watching found-footage type movies of late, quick thoughts on each:

The Sacrament - Film crew visits a cult-like community led by the enigmatic 'Father' - 7/10
Hellhouse LLC - Details the grisly events on the opening night of a haunted house event - 6/10
Leaving DC - Great so long as you can take the non-ending - 6/10
Exists - Monster hunts group of unlucky teens in the woods - 6/10
Europa Report - Decent-ish space sci-fi about a trip to Jupiters moon - 7/10
Creep / Creep 2 - Magnetic personality of Mark Duplass makes for a good watch - 7/10 - 7/10
Apollo 18 - Enjoyable to a point, sci-fi about ill fated Apollo 18 mission to the moon - 6/10

On 17/01/2021 at 02:29, Avuncular said:

Anyone got any recommendations of movies on Amazon Prime or Shudder?

Hunted was alright, and Possum is worth a watch, both on Shudder.

58 minutes ago, Jammy said:

Hunted was alright, and Possum is worth a watch, both on Shudder.

Yeah, Possum is canny, innit? It feels a bit long, there are times where you're thinking "hang on, this is just a guy walking around with a bag", but there's some great stuff in there.

As for bailing on bloody hell, for me it just felt like it was trying way too hard and thought it was funny.

When the barman did a "were you bummed in prison?" gag, I rolled my eyes so hard they nearly shot out of my head. That shit was weak and lazy even when it was fashionable. I just got the feeling that it was only gonna go downhill from there.

I will give it another chance, like @marcus said, I might just have not been in the mood for it.

Anyone seen Psycho Goreman? Two kids find the ultimate evil alien in the backyard and discover the gem that controls him. It's made by the guy who did The Void (great first 40 minutes, great effects, then....) and it's a bit all over the shop. I'm struggling to make it through the first 20 minutes despite it seemingly reviewing well. Less a tribute to the 80s, more one to the early 90s.

On 23/01/2021 at 06:34, Goose said:

Anyone seen Psycho Goreman? Two kids find the ultimate evil alien in the backyard and discover the gem that controls him. It's made by the guy who did The Void (great first 40 minutes, great effects, then....) and it's a bit all over the shop. I'm struggling to make it through the first 20 minutes despite it seemingly reviewing well. Less a tribute to the 80s, more one to the early 90s.

Watched it last night, had a right laugh its it despite it being objectively terrible. The physical effects and gore were brilliant.

Nope but Ive been dying to watch that ever since just missing out its brief cinema run pre-covid.

If not that, then Ill b watching a 2008 movie called Splinter as I'm a sucker for a monster horror movie.

I've been rewatching a lot of horror movies I saw ages ago, I enjoyed Drag Me To Hell a lot more second time round, and also was still quite fond of the Chernobyl DiariesDemons is still a good watch, but what's weird for me is that I remember watching Demons 2 when I was *much* younger and its that which I always considered to be the better of the two, yet on re-watching the pair decades later its clear to me that Demons 2 is a only a weak retread of the first IMO.  I didn't much like Dog Soldiers back then, and still dont like it too much now though :)

On 31/01/2021 at 10:20, Paulando said:

Saint Maud is out to buy/rent/whatever tomorrow. Really looking forward to it. Has anyone in here seen it?

Watching it later.

Been looking forward to it's constantly slipping release for a year now...

Also have the 4K Possessor to watch which I'm looking forward to as the BFI screening last year was pretty low quality.

9 minutes ago, Mike S said:

This.

An absolutely incredible debut. 

Ending spoilers:

Spoiler

That literal last second. You knew that was what was actually happening but to hit you with it as the final second was an astonishing choice.

2 minutes ago, Dark Soldier said:

Ending spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

That literal last second. You knew that was what was actually happening but to hit you with it as the final second was an astonishing choice.

Yep. 

The whole film left me reeling but that, yeah...

In a sane world, where films were judged on their merits, this could be a multiple Oscar winner. I'm very much looking forward to seeing how Rose Glass followers this.. 

I got swept up in the hype train too. It had some very notable ideas and great performances, but I just didn't take to it.

Felt like a meandering missed opportunity, but I'm glad it's absolutely killing it for plenty of others. I'd always rather be in the crowd that love something than don't.

A bit late to the party on the whole Shudder recommendations but two I've really liked are Vivarium (not 100% horror but worth watching) and Scare Me which is kind of a horror comedy but the characters are really likeable (one being Stormfront from The Boys).

The other one to mention is The Pale Door. In a world where Bone Tomahawk exists, it's probably unnecessary but it's always a bit different to see cowboys fighting the supernatural.

Kind of looking forward to The Dark and the Wicked on the strength the poster alone.