Good new horror films

squirtle

I watched Possum with the other half the other day and found that there's a bit too much hype for what it is.

A couple of creepy bits but I found it really flat. 

I watched a different Escape Room (2017) to the one I had seen before. I really enjoyed it, a bit more substance than the series that currently has a sequel in the Cinema. 

Although there's some really shoddy acting in it I found the puzzles a bit more realistic and me and the other half thought we had the plot sussed in the first couple of mins but boy were we wrong. 

Don't rush to watch it as it don't break any new ground but if you've got Prime and want something to watch give it a go. 

Wow, we have very different tastes in horror.

I thought Possum was fantastic - a real sense of unease and creeping dread infused the whole film. But I thought Escape Room was boring, derivative drivel. I'm no fan of films like Saw though, so it's no surprise that this didn't do it for me.

I really liked it, but I think I know what Arn means.

Spoiler

Though they really nail the mood, and there are lots of really nice moments, there are times when you go "hang on a minute, isn't this just some guy walking around with a bag" :D

It's a tricky one because I don't think it'd work as a short film, as it needs time to set in and fester, but it could really use a couple more things happening, a few more milestones on your way to the finish line. I know what he means when he says it's flat, though when it works, it really works, it feels like they're padding it out to traditional feature length at times

I saw Cronenberg's Spider (not a euphemism) like the day after seeing possum and I'd highly recommend that. I thought they really complimented each other and would make a great double bill. It's different but feels like a much tighter, more traditionally structured film.

The lad in possum is carrying around the shame and misplaced guilt that comes with being sexually abused, innit? Is that how you read the whole possum thing? A bit on the nose that he's literally carrying his baggage around but it was terrifying that he just couldn't get rid of it and that horrible fucking thing in the bag was great! :D

I saw Possum in the cinema, and found it to be a few striking moments bound together by a bit of a chore. It wasn't unenjoyable, but I couldn't see myself watching it again.

Escape Room has one of the worst scripts I've ever seen make its way to the screen. Really amateurish shit, but it's possible to find some entertainment in the badness.

From a pretty quick look at their website:

• Witchfinder General 
  • Carnival of Souls
  • The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane
  • House on Haunted Hill
  • Possessor (I believe, haven't seen it)
  • Dr Terror's House of Horrors
  • Relic
  • Mom and Dad (daft as all hell, but fun)
  • Possum
  • The Woman
  • Bone Tomahawk
  • The Wind
  • The Night Eats The World
  • The Raid
  • Host (I think, again, not seen it)
  • La Llorona (again, not seen it but heard good things)
  • In Search of Darkness (it's a documentary about horror films though)
  • Heathers (may not have aged well)
  • Prevenge
  • Hellraiser 1 and 2 if you like those
  • It Follows
  • Insidious (was okay, not great)
  • The Hallow (was also alright)
  • Donnie Darko
  • Let The Right One In
  • Don't Knock Twice (iffy, but watchable, I thought)
  • The Void
  • Dark Water (the Japanese one)
  • Society

There are bound to be others I've missed.

2 hours ago, Scribblor said:

Ooh, yeah! I remember that from yoinks ago, with Jodie Foster? That's good that!

"The Golden Glove" is fantastic!

"The House That Jack Built" is lots of fun.

"Incident in a Ghostland" I really liked, but not everyone did, from the "martyrs" guy

"Violation" is a really good one I saw recently.

"Vivarium" is fun.

Yeah Host is well worth a watch!

Not what I expected at all, I doubt you'll watch it again but everyone should appreciate it for what it is. 

And if that's the original Let The Right One In give it a watch!

One of my favourite book to a movie.

20 hours ago, Scribblor said:

From a pretty quick look at their website:

• Witchfinder General 
  • Carnival of Souls
  • House on Haunted Hill
  • Possessor (I believe, haven't seen it)
  • Dr Terror's House of Horrors
  • Relic
  • Mom and Dad (daft as all hell, but fun)
  • Possum
  • The Woman
  • Bone Tomahawk
  • The Wind
  • The Night Eats The World
  • The Raid
  • Host (I think, again, not seen it)
  • La Llorona (again, not seen it but heard good things)
  • In Search of Darkness (it's a documentary about horror films though)
  • Heathers (may not have aged well)
  • Prevenge
  • Hellraiser 1 and 2 if you like those
  • It Follows
  • Insidious (was okay, not great)
  • The Hallow (was also alright)
  • Donnie Darko
  • Let The Right One In
  • Don't Knock Twice (iffy, but watchable, I thought)
  • The Void
  • Dark Water (the Japanese one)
  • Society

There are bound to be others I've missed.

Thanks @Scribblor. I’ve seen loads of those before, but there a plenty that I haven’t, so something to keep me busy. I’ve actually never seen Witchfinder General (I’m assuming it’s the Vincent Price movie?), so I perhaps ought to put that right.

I watched The Boy Behind The Door last night. It's not bad, a good old fashioned screwturner. A bit overrated looking at the RT score, but worth a watch.

6 hours ago, Arn X Treme said:

And if that's the original Let The Right One In give it a watch!

It is. Brilliant film.

2 hours ago, FishyFish said:

Thanks @Scribblor. I’ve seen loads of those before, but there a plenty that I haven’t, so something to keep me busy. I’ve actually never seen Witchfinder General (I’m assuming it’s the Vincent Price movie?), so I perhaps ought to put that right.

Yep, the Vincent Price one. I love it, but it's not for everyone. 

On 05/08/2021 at 17:07, Moz said:

I watched The Boy Behind The Door last night. It's not bad, a good old fashioned screwturner A bit overrated looking at the RT score, but worth a watch.

The acting of the main kid in it Bobby was superb I thought, bright future.

Also talking of acting, Anthony Bajon who plays the main role of Teddy in the film Teddy, is electrifying in it.  Its one of the better films on Shudder I have seen of late too.

Talking of Shudder, I am half way through They Remain but to be honest am struggling with it as it feels incredibly slow.  One of those I would need to be in the right mood to watch.

Anyone else been watching "American Horror Stories" ?

I've been watching with the other half and after the original two parter we've found them to be really shite.

However, the latest one (Episode 5 I think) was a good episode compared to what we have had so far, but all the way through it, I kept thinking "where have I seen or read this before?".

I was wondering if anyone else had watched it and felt the same?

I've been watching them, since I love a garbage horror anthology series. I think they've received a bit of an unfair kicking, and have found some enjoyment in most of them.

Ep 5 is a pretty familiar kind of story, although I don't think I'd seen that particular twist before.

34 minutes ago, schmojo said:

I've been watching them, since I love a garbage horror anthology series. I think they've received a bit of an unfair kicking, and have found some enjoyment in most of them.

Ep 5 is a pretty familiar kind of story, although I don't think I'd seen that particular twist before.

I'm not sure if it was something from Twilight Zone / Outer Limits / Tales Of The Unexpected

I didn't mind "Bro House" because I enjoyed the fact it was a load of disses to the twats on YouTube, but I struggled with the haunted film episode I just didn't get on with it. 

But I'm looking forward to this week's episode after watching Episode 5, I'm pretty sure the main series drops really soon too. 

On 03/08/2021 at 23:26, marcus said:

Just watched The Scary Of Sixty First, enjoyed it although its not a horror as such.  What it is is very difficult to explain and I think I need to let it digest a bit.  

Watched this last night. I think it's very giallo/trippy unnerving 70s thriller in its presentation, but I'd agree that it's not a horror. 

It feels, superficially, like something provocative and memorable, but without much to say. As if the prominent figures involved are just another movie backdrop, rather than any specific commentary being made beyond 'they're bad'. That said, I know the director has a podcast based around very muddled, trolling social commentary, so it's possible that they didn't articulate their message that well. Or that I didn't get it. Or that it's just nihilistic.

Spoiler

It's entertaining, and dreamlike in a way that carries you along with the protagonists' journeys. The various ambiguities and potentially supernatural elements serve well to induce a little -very appropriate- paranoia. I'm not sure how 'important' or 'challenging' it is, but it certainly feels ballsy when they put conversations we've all had up on the screen. 

There seems to be a lot more value in it as a film about internet rabbitholes than sex trafficking, but it pulls its punches a little there, too, by delivering a pay-off for those people.

Ultimately, I'll go with the RT method, and just say I liked it. There are parts I'm unlikely to forget, and Dasha Nekrasova feels like an interesting, if privileged and unsympathetic, voice.

On 11/08/2021 at 08:40, schmojo said:

Watched this last night. I think it's very giallo/trippy unnerving 70s thriller in its presentation, but I'd agree that it's not a horror. 

It feels, superficially, like something provocative and memorable, but without much to say. As if the prominent figures involved are just another movie backdrop, rather than any specific commentary being made beyond 'they're bad'. That said, I know the director has a podcast based around very muddled, trolling social commentary, so it's possible that they didn't articulate their message that well. Or that I didn't get it. Or that it's just nihilistic.

Reveal hidden contents

It's entertaining, and dreamlike in a way that carries you along with the protagonists' journeys. The various ambiguities and potentially supernatural elements serve well to induce a little -very appropriate- paranoia. I'm not sure how 'important' or 'challenging' it is, but it certainly feels ballsy when they put conversations we've all had up on the screen. 

There seems to be a lot more value in it as a film about internet rabbitholes than sex trafficking, but it pulls its punches a little there, too, by delivering a pay-off for those people.

Ultimately, I'll go with the RT method, and just say I liked it. There are parts I'm unlikely to forget, and Dasha Nekrasova feels like an interesting, if privileged and unsympathetic, voice.

Ok. I've been thinking about this over the last couple of days and I've changed my mind. I think my previous prejudices made me give it more credit than it deserves, and Nekrasova is largely an edgelord. Or she's playing the character of an edgelord in her real professional life, which is ostensibly the same thing.

I've also taken issue with

Spoiler

the implication that Addie's dad, who is Jewish, is a wealthy, connected, all-powerful member of a paedophile ring. If she's attempting to parody antisemitism, she's not doing a great job.

On 11/08/2021 at 09:08, Goose said:

Japanese remake of Cube coming - 

Never seen it done that way round before (Japan remaking a western horror). I'd probably watch this, even if it's just shot-for-shot.

On 13/08/2021 at 12:45, schmojo said:

Ok. I've been thinking about this over the last couple of days and I've changed my mind. I think my previous prejudices made me give it more credit than it deserves, and Nekrasova is largely an edgelord. Or she's playing the character of an edgelord in her real professional life, which is ostensibly the same thing.

I've also taken issue with

Reveal hidden contents

the implication that Addie's dad, who is Jewish, is a wealthy, connected, all-powerful member of a paedophile ring. If she's attempting to parody antisemitism, she's not doing a great job.

It's been interesting reading your thoughts, schmojo and I too had that constant niggling during the whole thing, whether I was giving it the benefit of the doubt a little too much at times.

Had no idea about her podcast or anything, which I haven't looked into, and I didn't pick up on the jewish thing.

I think I'm fine not knowing whether she's a satirical genius or some tiresome upstart enfant terrible. I think the film would lose a lot of it's appeal for me if that line wasn't so thoroughly blurred.

Maybe we'll find out for sure when she does her next film!

I think it was a genius stroke using the whole subject for the basis of a Giallo style slasher film, the conspiracy theories, the salacious gossip, it's all there.

Do you still like the film? Would you still recommend it? You're still thinking about it, which has to be a good sign!

Come True

Some astonishing visual work mixed with strong performances and that wonderful uneasy, weird vibe from the best horror.

Unfortunately it absolutely shits a hole in the bed and right through the floor in the last ten minutes with probably the worst ending to a horror film I've seen in a long, long time.

Massive shame as it was shaping up to be something fantastic. 

5 hours ago, Hideous Kojima said:

Are there any decent modern slashers doing the rounds? Most popular horror films these days tend to go all disturbing and psychological. I don't want to have to book a therapy session. ;)

Have you seen behind the mask the rise of leslie vernon?

On 02/07/2021 at 18:38, yakumo said:

Dang RL Stine has a new movie Fear Street out too

So much horror coming out this week.

Loved this, strong 90’s vibes, bit cabin in the woods vs stranger things but Holy shit. 

Spoiler

The bread slicer. 🤮

On 16/08/2021 at 15:16, Dark Soldier said:

Come True

Some astonishing visual work mixed with strong performances and that wonderful uneasy, weird vibe from the best horror.

Unfortunately it absolutely shits a hole in the bed and right through the floor in the last ten minutes with probably the worst ending to a horror film I've seen in a long, long time.

Massive shame as it was shaping up to be something fantastic. 

Yeah, to say that the ending fell flat is an understatement. I’m sure I remember seeing the director saying something like “it doesn’t necessarily mean what everyone is saying” but I can’t really see how it could be anything else given how it was left…

Recent horror films I’ve seen over the last couple of weeks:

Teddy - 2/5

Odd tone to it, maybe it’s just because it’s french but it felt a bit awkward in that it wasn’t really all that funny or particularly creepy - I did enjoy the setting and what we saw of the characters and up until about 3/4 of the way through I thought it was building to a killer climax - but what it built to was the weakest part of the film.

The Boy Behind the Door - 1/5

Despite a decent performance by the lead I found this more frustrating than anything I can remember watching recently. It’s fine for kids to be stupid in films, they (and adults as well ofc) often are irl, but it completely removes any tension if in something like this they’re repeatedly stupid and keep getting away with it.

Rot - 2/5

I liked this, though I don’t think it’s successful in much of what it does, I enjoyed the general vibe, being somewhere between Shivers and She Dies Tomorrow, and was pleased with how it wasn't afraid of getting goofy.

Kandisha - 2/5

Pretty solid if unremarkable Candyman-ish story - I probably enjoyed the setting and characters more than the horror tbh, which went nowhere particularly surprising.

Technically not a recent one at all but it was never properly released and is only available now on YouTube or through buying a ripped copy off eBay but something I loved recently was:

In the Dark - 4/5

Super low-budget adaptation of a Richard Laymon book that I heard about through a podcast. It’s weird in that it kind of feels like it should be found footage - but isn’t. A bit proto-Saw (but way better than any of those) and really good if you can see past the image quality and some weak acting (although the lead is great).

I watched "Son" with the other half at the weekend and we both really enjoyed it and was surprised by who gory it was in places.

We then watched a couple more "into the dark"

One was a thriller about a woman cloning a young woman for her troubled son in the near future. It took a while to get going but we enjoyed it right to the end.

The next one was a family tale featuring Clay Crawford (of Lethal Weapon the series) with a surprise addition of Black Eyed Kids which I've read about a couple of times. Great stuff one my favourite episodes in the series.

American Horror Stories was another really good effort this week. A nice take on the whole 411 missing thing with some familar faces.

A good weekend of watching good horror for me and the better half.