IGNORED

Good new horror films

squirtle

Ah right, sorry, I thought I was coming with the fresh eggs there.
There were things I wasn't too keen on but it was so classy and well made and it kept you wondering what would happen next. Good stuff! I really liked the direction, gonna try one of the guys other films.

2 hours ago, neoELITE said:

I utterly hated it. It's nothing like the book at all. The actual evil entity is completely different and the ending....FFS

Hide contents

How does a tiny woman with a broken ankle get a large man down countless flights of stairs and chain him to a sacrificial table? 

It didn't work at all for me. 

If I'd watched this and it had a different title, I wouldn't have had a clue it was based upon Adam Nevill's book.

Yeah, that's all fair comment to be honest. I still enjoyed it for what it was, but I can't argue.

Spoiler

Haha, that bit in the spoiler, i didn't think of that.

Aye, the black maggie was like the creepiest thing, and that thing that came oot the box, I'd knock that fucker out, easy.

VHS 94 - Okay so Timo Tjahjanto, the guy who did the God tier Cult section of VHS 2, has a section in this and it is up there with the most inventive, wonderful stuff I have ever seen. Just absolute top tier.

That segment alone makes it an essential. The rest is the usual meh VHS stuff.

4 minutes ago, Avuncular said:

I usually watch Shudder stuff through the Prime app. Shudder app won't let me sign in with my Prime password and it won't let me reset my password.

I also had issues with prime so I went with shudder direct. One interesting gotcha for me is that Cronenburgs Rabid IS on Shudder Prime and not on shudder!

18 hours ago, Dark Soldier said:

VHS 94 - Okay so Timo Tjahjanto, the guy who did the God tier Cult section of VHS 2, has a section in this and it is up there with the most inventive, wonderful stuff I have ever seen. Just absolute top tier.

That segment alone makes it an essential. The rest is the usual meh VHS stuff.

And now I'm interested. The VHS2 section was excellent, and I loved his work on The Night Comes For Us.

Avoid Theres Someone Inside Your House, garbage teenage slasher.

Regarding VHS, the biggest negative by far is the SWAT team story bookending the film, which was just boring and nonsensical. The rest of the stories were pretty strong, my favorite being the girl trapped in the mortuary with the reanimated body. The body horror one with the mad scientist I could see being a little divisive since it's silly and comedic in tone at times, but I appreciated that they were doing something different.

Watched Night House, I love how this movie is more scary for different reasons, depending on whether or not you believe in ghosts.

Spoiler

From one perspective, maybe there is no ghost. Everything can be explained rationally. Maybe she already knew about the house, about the girls, about her husband - and just consciously refused to think about it until his death. Maybe it's all in her head. Years of denial and depression caused her to fail to realize the obvious - that her loving husband was a brutal serial killer.

In this case, it is absolutely terrifying what the mind is capable of. That someone so loving and gentle could be as fucking crazy and dangerous as her husband, or that someone as seemingly intelligent as her could be so deep in denial that their mind would rather hallucinate and conjure crazy stories that don't exist to cope with the harsh reality.

And of course, it is most terrifying because nothing is after you. Nothing is real.

OR

Ghosts are real. There are demons and dark forces, and they are fully capable of turning kind men into monsters. They can terrorize you and there is nowhere safe. They can materialize out of the very gaps between picture frames and trimboards, and they WILL find you and they WILL get what they want from you.

On 06/10/2021 at 23:46, Avuncular said:

I tried casting to my TV from the iPad earlier and kept getting errors. Just tried it again and it worked.🤨

Use the prime app and access shudder from there? At least that's what my Samsung prime app keeps bugging me to do. 

3 hours ago, IcEBuRN said:

Use the prime app and access shudder from there? At least that's what my Samsung prime app keeps bugging me to do. 

The Shudder app has some different films to the Prime app and vice versa.

1 hour ago, yakumo said:

You're being too generous.

I think maybe I am. I gave it two stars on Letterboxd. I'm sometimes a bit soft on slasher movies. One interesting thing I noticed... in the end credits, there's three assistant chefs on the crew. One of them is called Tom Cruise!

7 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

I think maybe I am. I gave it two stars on Letterboxd. I'm sometimes a bit soft on slasher movies. One interesting thing I noticed... in the end credits, there's three assistant chefs on the crew. One of them is called Tom Cruise!

Dear God, you watched the credits as well?. But even as a slasher the kills were boring.

12 minutes ago, Arn X Treme said:

The Night House was something else, I enjoyed that so much more then I thought I would.

Yeah, same here. Loved the optical illusions too, that was pretty damn smart. But Rebecca Hall was just so good in it.