IGNORED

Good new horror films

squirtle

If Innkeepers hasn't already been mentioned (and I'm sure it has) then Innkeepers.

Ty West is the most interesting genre director around at the moment and Innkeepers is just wonderful. Maybe not quite as good as House Of The Devil, which was a pretty high bar to aim for, but still lovingly old-school in its slow build up and creeping tension. Spending time on character development really pays off..

It felt like a channel 5 afternoon special to me. And the girl in it was a complete arsehole.

• 4 weeks later...

Watched Thai horror Meat Grinder recently and really liked it.

It's the goriest of gore films but made by a team that seem far too talented to be making such films. Looks lovely, story is good, well acted, like a very good arthouse movie, except it's absolutely gross!

• 4 months later...

Watched Kill List. The ending was like a French & Saunders spoof of the Wicker Man. The rest was alright to good.

Also saw Wolf Creek which I found one-step above totally generic and again with a poor ending. It seemed to have a twist in there somewhere but no one working on the movie was quite sure what it was or how to implement it.

• 3 weeks later...

I found Sinister pretty - well sinister. The sound design reminded me a bit of Silent Hill for some reason. Movie jolted me a few times (which doesn't usually happen). OK towards the ending some of the mystery evaporated and it got a bit too literal but overall I liked it. The director also made Exorcism of Emily Rose which (for me) also had some quite disturbing moments.

Atrocious is another found footage that I enjoyed recently.

But the film to shit me up the most over the last few months has to be the Innkeepers. It practically defines the term 'slow-burn'. Every fabric of your being will want to turn it off in the first hour but the pay-off in the last 10-15 minutes is quite incredible. I screamed like a little girl.

Anyone seen American Mary? A nice slice of Cronenberg-esq body horror about a girl who falls into the underground plastic surgery scene. Recommended.

Quite enjoyed it, yeah, although I thought the ending kinda' came outta' nowhere (I mean I see where it came from, it's just it wasn't exactly built up) and the male lead wasn't great.

If you want Cronenberg, his son Brandon's movie Antiviral is excellent.

I posted this in the moviewatchers blog thread but thought it would fit in here too.

The Road

Not to be confused with the Cormac McCarthy book, this excellent serial killer cum ghost story from the Philippines is well worth your time.

Told in backwards chronological order, we start with a newly minted police detective asked about a decade old case that remains unsolved which he promises to look into. We then get to the titular road where three whiny teens get more than they bargained for as the excellently done chills start to pile up. We then move back ten years to the older case to find out what happened there and... Well I don't want to ruin it.

The scares are really well done, the plotting is excellent and the story is both sad and shocking. It's beautifully shot and the soundtrack works perfectly. I had never heard of this before just sticking it on from Netflix, but I'm glad I did as it's one of the best horror/ghost films I've seen in ages.

4 and a half charred corpses out of five.

I watched Silent House the other night. I can't make up my mind whether it was good or not.

I was the same. I quite liked it though.

But I wasn't really a fan of the twist ending about it all being her going crazy and getting revenge on her dad/uncle.

I watched Megan is Missing last night. Not strictly a horror film but deeply unpleasant all the same.

Having not heard of this, I googled it. Turned out its actually on Youtube, in parts and with Spanish subs but in English. Kind of wish I hadnt. Not particularly interesting for the first half, then utterly horrible to the point that few films have stuck with me as much (not in a good way). Some of the stuff at the end is just.....well, its the kind of stuff I think most people would be happier not seeing. Particularly

the 2 pictures that you see of Megan, the rape of Amy, but mostly when he tells Amy he needs to put her in the barrel to take her home "so she doesnt know where his house his", and he opens it up and Megans dead for god knows how long body is in there staring at the camera. The last part where he digs their grave to put the barrel in seems to take forever, made worse because you know there is no way out no matter what she says. The desperation, then realisation in her voice is horrible.

I watched Detention last night and I'm not 100% sure of what to make of it. It's very disjointed and wilfully weird and, in some ways, reminded me of Better off Dead.

The in-your-face 90s pop culture references are wearing, but there is actually a reason for them, which I can't go into without unleashing giant enemy spoilers. Whilst it is part-Scream, the horror part is only a small facet of it.

They did manage to get a reference to the little-seen 90s actioner, Fled which made me smile. I thought no one saw that.