IGNORED

Good new horror films

squirtle

2 hours ago, Arn X Treme said:

I'm pretty sure I've read recently it's been cancelled already which is what stopped me from watching it.

However your recommendation and the trailer below makes me thing I'll give it a try regardless. 

Don’t think it has been cancelled? Can’t find any mention of it, and would be unusual for Showtime to

cancel a show the same week it premieres! 

Enjoyed the first two episodes! Was funnier (and grosser) than expected! 

Sorry for the random post without too much back reading but I’m interested in watching some horror films. Particularly creepy atmospheric ones. 

Is shudder a decent service and are the any really good ones that would meet this simple criteria?

Shudder's decent. It can be hard to sort the good from the bad, like any streaming service, but it gets regular drops of new stuff and there are some gems in there (Noroi, La Llorona, etc). Arrow Player is good too - basically a huge chunk of their physical media back catalogue.

Anyone watched Silent Night? Out on streaming today.

It starts with Keira Knightly, Matthew Goode and a load of other annoying posh types arriving at a big country house to celebrate Christmas. But we learn that the end of the World is coming and this is going to be one last blow-out. 

This was a real strange mix of styles that doesn't quite work, but there's enough here to make it watchable. The characters are well written, it's quite funny in places (although the swearing children get a bit annoying early on) and it holds its nerve right to the end. It's a good effort for a first time director. 

3/5

2 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

Anyone watched Silent Night? Out on streaming today.

It starts with Keira Knightly, Matthew Goode and a load of other annoying posh types arriving at a big country house to celebrate Christmas. But we learn that the end of the World is coming and this is going to be one last blow-out. 

This was a real strange mix of styles that doesn't quite work, but there's enough here to make it watchable. The characters are well written, it's quite funny in places (although the swearing children get a bit annoying early on) and it holds its nerve right to the end. It's a good effort for a first time director. 

3/5

Yeah I saw that the other night. It really feels like two films in one. The first half is great, some proper laughs, then it goes a bit more serious and loses its way. Still a decent watch though.

@Opinionated Ham ScarecrowI watched it last night. Not a horror/comedy really imo. But then I don’t know what I would call it tbf. A nightmare to market I imagine as genre wise, it’s all over the shop.

I kind of enjoyed it none the less. I found it really stuck around with me after it was over which I wasn’t expecting at all. The last twenty minutes are especially bleak/beautiful depending on your take.

A marmite film for sure.. I can see it being very different things to different people probably. Particularly if you are a parent or carer to a young family. 

I couldn't finish Silent Night. It's not due to how seriously self obsessed and awful all the adults are - I was enjoying the movie and premise despite that - but towards the end the inquisitive kid reminded me so much of my own that it just broke me a bit. I'll try and finish it when I'm in a better headspace because it's decent, interesting and well made but as a parent currently very low in self esteem and on antidepressants? Damn man...

New Video - The Omen Series. I cannot stress enough how great the original movie is. 

Major Spoilers if you've never seen them before (especially the fourth, forgotten movie which gives away the ending of The Final Conflict)

I watched Drag Me To Hell last week. I can see why it got such mixed reviews but I really enjoyed it. Loads of effective jump scares (the sound is excellent), some properly hilarious gross out moments (the bit at the wake was amazing), and a genuinely good ending. I imagine a lot saw it coming but it was really well done. I somehow completely missed the 

Spoiler

two identical envelopes

which in retrospect makes what happens so obvious. I'd be interested to see how common missing that was. 

On 08/12/2021 at 15:43, Dark Soldier said:

We're all going to the world's fair is absolutely fantastic. Slow burn coming of age web creepypasta nosleep horror drama. Incredible central performance by Anna Cobb.

I thought the central performance was very interesting (and good!), but the rest of the film didn't do a lot for me. It had some good ideas, and I think I'm within the target audience, but I'd like to see someone else have a shot at a similar story. It's a landscape entirely ripe for low-budget horror.

Antlers. Pretty humdrum. Like an off the boil episode of the X Files where Mulder and Scully never turn up. But not in a good way. 

It wore the themes of child abuse and folklore pretty uncomfortably and didn’t do much with either - felt a bit appropriated.