IGNORED

Good new horror films

squirtle

On 05/04/2022 at 16:42, Arn X Treme said:

I know it's not a film, and it's a few years old (2019) but I just finished the first series of Servant over two days. 

"Servant is an American psychological horror streaming television series created by Tony Basgallop and executive-produced alongside M. Night Shyamalan, who serves as showrunner. The series follows Dorothy and Sean Turner, a Philadelphia couple who hire a girl named Leanne Grayson to be the nanny for their infant son Jericho, a reborn doll."

When I first started with it, I was a little put off with it being the guy from Dead Man's Shoes & Ron Weasley. 

But there's something really captivating with it, a nice slow burn mystery and some really tense viewing in places.

I even got up early this Morning to finish off the final two episodes of Series One, and I am already looking forward to starting Series Two this evening. 

Thanks for the heads up on this. On to Ep 4 and really enjoying it.

1 hour ago, Mikes said:

Thanks for the heads up on this. On to Ep 4 and really enjoying it.

You're welcome. 

I've just started the third (maybe final) series, but I've had to go back and rewatch the end of series two as I feel I've missed something. 

That's the thing with this series, you have to pay close attention, as sometimes there are slight visual things that you may miss if you're not giving it your full attention. 

I'm trying to get through Lovecraft Country, but I'm finding it a real slog. Not sure why, as I loved the book and this is a good adaptation of it, with a great cast. But I'm relieved every time an episode finishes and it's a real effort to start another. Made it through the first four, but that might be as far as I make it.

On 19/04/2022 at 10:02, Scribblor said:

I'm trying to get through Lovecraft Country, but I'm finding it a real slog. Not sure why, as I loved the book and this is a good adaptation of it, with a great cast. But I'm relieved every time an episode finishes and it's a real effort to start another. Made it through the first four, but that might be as far as I make it.

Yeah I didn't bother to finish this. There's too much good stuff and little time to continuing watching something which hopefully may get better?.

Watched the Sadness, and this reminded me of the comicbook series Crossed by Garth Ennis. Did not enjoy this at all, case of don't believe the hype but more so because ....

Spoiler

I cannot stand rape, sexual violence as a horror tool. 

Why I probably more harsh than I should be, but it didn't do anything you haven't seen before.

On 21/04/2022 at 17:05, yakumo said:

Yeah I didn't bother to finish this. There's too much good stuff and little time to continuing watching something which hopefully may get better?.

The real horror of that series was when I googled "Sundown" and found out that it wasn't made up for the TV show, and fucked up shit like that really happened.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundown_town

• 2 weeks later...

Does Worlds Fair pick up? I’m really struggling with it but don’t want to give up if it’s going to pick up. 

I’ve just worked out it’s not the girl from Juno who I thought it was as the lead so I’m hoping the acting may pick up at least. 

Yeah, I just sat through the rest of it.

Some of you guys really enjoyed it, right? Unless I've not got the story wrong, it's a really quite simple.

So,

Spoiler

Girl plays the latest online trend.

Loads of other people too play this online trend.

We see that after you do this "ritual" things happen, from turning to plastic to not feeling anything.

The Paedophile, finds game somehow finds Casey (how he finds her I don't know, luck?) 

Casey plays into "the changes" more as she likes the attention she's getting (to avoid the shitty life she has by the very short encounter we get with her "dad")

More goes on, and then JB (the paedo) reaches out to her that he's worried about her. Trying to get her address?

She calls him out.

Then we switch to his narrative that they've met up afterwards and implies he's basically done some shit to her, and she's either dead or is he playing a game as such where he's telling the outcome of his fantasy to other Paedos?

Or is this story the creepypasta story?

Have I got that right, or am I missing something?

1 hour ago, Arn X Treme said:

Have I got that right, or am I missing something?

That's not really what I took away from it. I had...

Spoiler

Casey is living an isolated life in a shitty little town and can only connect with people via internet memes and shit because 21st century

She joins in the latest creepypasta meme thing for the feeling of belonging

Paedo guy I think isn't a paedo as much as he's a lonely dude kind of in the same boat as her, except he's got all the stuff you're supposed to want in life but is still pissing about LARPing on his computer in search of some kind of human connection

Meme thing is obviously just people dicking around in After Effects and stuff but she gets sucked in anyway and her and paedo guy start feeding off each other's attention 

Casey seems to start unravelling as she gets deeper and deeper into the World's Fair, shit starts to get real

Paedo guy eventually cracks and breaks character and ruins it all

It's not 100% clear whether Casey was just role playing really well or was actually completely immersed in the WF stuff and about to really lose her shit and then bluffing and backing out when paedo guy calls time on it. 

Basically, it's being marketed as a creepypasta found footage horror but it's more of a psychological study of how kids interface with all this mad stuff they have access to.

I thought the coda with paedo guy explaining the plot was a misstep. Like either someone holding the purse strings said it needed tying up more neatly or the writer/director bottled it and couldn't come up with something better.

Ah, ok.

Spoiler

I did wonder with the whole tiktoking dance part if she was just wrapped up in it all or if she was starting to break character.

Now it makes sense with the whole feeling "numb" (to the real world) and turning "plastic" (fake).

The whole thing with the shotgun seemed a bit early on, when you'd expect that towards the end to add effect to her supposed madness.

I didn't look at the guy being "lonely" like Casey, so cheer's for pointing that bit out, I think it's the way we're conditioned to think that the "lonely guy" is sinister, especially when he wants her address etc. 

Well The Sadness was a ride, it was non-stop and as clunky as most Asian movies appear to be to my eyes at least, it has a particularly nasty streak and pulls no punches.

I watched Atroz (Atrocious 2015) last night, holy shit that was a nasty one.  I felt compelled to have a shower after watching it, to symbolically rinse the dirt off me that I was feeling.  Few films do that, and this is one of them.  

On 04/05/2022 at 16:30, marcus said:

Well The Sadness was a ride, it was non-stop and as clunky as most Asian movies appear to be to my eyes at least, it has a particularly nasty streak and pulls no punches.

Just watching this at the moment. Jesus... That train scene...

I found this list quite interesting / useful - https://letterboxd.com/robbthemoth/list/horror-gallery-every-horror-movie-ever-updated/ - supposedly every horror movie ever made.  I am on 1% seen, thats 421 of 28350 listed, but thats only based on entries I have put into my Letterboxd account.  I have started working my way through them where I am able to watch the films, short movies included.  I am well aware there is going to be mostly garbage, but there will be some gems to uncover and I am pretty much used to watching terrible horror movies so will see how it goes :)

Yeah I hated the Sadness, it wasn't the gore but the sexual violence which got me. Its no way as degenerate as Crossed, but its why I also hated that series too. 

I thought the nastiness was the best thing about it tbh, makes the threat all that much worse when it’s literally the worst things that you can imagine a person doing to another, but obv get that it will not be for everyone. I think the worst part was the actual story about the main couple. 

Recentish watches

We’re All Going to the World’s Fair - 3.5/5

Not a scary or particularly disturbing horror but I found the central premise really took me back to being very online when I was younger, how drawn into stuff you’d get when being online was the main thing that you were doing and the weird friendships that’d develop around that. Cool debut.

Virus:32 - 2/5

Pretty dull and predictable zombie/infection film that really wastes the opportunity afforded them  by the location.

You Won’t Be Alone - 4/5 

Loved this, a folkloric story about a witch experiencing the lives of a handful of different villagers that she assumes the identity of, probably more a dark fantasy than horror strictly speaking. If you liked November or Hagazussa I feel like it’d be right up your street.

Cracking double bill last night.

The Sadness - As others have mentioned, it is fucking sadistic. Almost comedic levels of violence at times, and it just about manages not to ruin a stellar 60 minutes with what I thought was a bit of a sloppy finale.

The Innocents (De uskyldige) - I absolutely loved this. It's not your traditional horror movie, but it's definitely dark stuff. Although thematically different, it gave me strong Let the right one in vibes. Track this down, go in blind cos it's excellent.

I watched the new Firestarter remake last night. It's super low-budget using just a few locations and a handful of characters. The young girl in the lead role is pretty good and Zac Effron puts in a good turn. There's a good John Carpenter soundtrack but otherwise this is forgettable and probably not worth the watch. 

2.5/5

I steeled myself for The Sadness, but I found it to be pretty standard as far as zombie/rage virus apocalypse stuff goes. A lot more inference and off-camera stuff than you'd probably expect. Bear in mind that I no more care whether kids or animals get killed in horror movies than I do adults, so there's maybe more of a sticking point for other people in specific parts. Unfortunately comes to a grinding halt in the last act.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished The Innocents, I'd seen the trailer before, so I didn't go in blind as such.

It's a great little film, but it just felt to me that the writer / director had seen 

Spoiler

The Chronicle

Worth a watch all the same. 

Just watched Dashcam, the new one from the creator of the wonderful Host.

Short run length again. The Internet thing this time is Discord. Utterly hateable lead woman goes to London to see her one time bandmate during the pandemic. She ends up stealing his car. Shit goes absolutely mental.

All depends on your tolerance for found footage kinda stuff. I'm an absolute sucker for this stuff. Host is still his best, but there's great moments in this.

4 minutes ago, Dark Soldier said:

I thought Host was the tightest found footage film since Blair Witch. An hour long, believable characters, doesn't outstay its welcome.

It was short but everything was pretty formulaic and predictable. To compare it to Blair Witch is high praise but I say there's tons of found footage since Blair Witch which is better than Host. Noroi is right there at the top, REC, Afflicted, Creep. I know I sound like a grumpy bastard, so sorry if I do. Saying that I'm looking forward to watching Dashcam😀

The three I have watched in the last day or so I have thoroughly enjoyed.  The Innocents was fantastic, with the best child-acting I think I have ever seen.  Hellbender was very enjoyable, loved that it was written, shot and performed by a husband and wife, with their two daughters.  Just finished Dashcam, I say I am a sucker for found footage-styled horror but even I am feeling burnout with it, yet I really enjoyed this one too with its pace and dark humour.

/edit almost forgot, I watched Firestarter today.  Its hard to watch a movie adaptation of a book I know quite well as I spent more time thinking about all that has changed.  Anyways, it was passable and held interest, not terrible, not great.

8 hours ago, Dark Soldier said:

Just watched Dashcam, the new one from the creator of the wonderful Host.

Short run length again. The Internet thing this time is Discord. Utterly hateable lead woman goes to London to see her one time bandmate during the pandemic. She ends up stealing his car. Shit goes absolutely mental.

All depends on your tolerance for found footage kinda stuff. I'm an absolute sucker for this stuff. Host is still his best, but there's great moments in this.

Watched this a while back. I know the lead is purposely obnoxious but was willing her demise from the opening scene. Such a hateful prick of a character.