Jump to content
IGNORED

Good new horror films


squirtle
 Share

Recommended Posts

I thought Dashcam was a blast. My only issue was not really knowing what was happening but I guess that was kind of the point.

Spoiler

What was the mass-suicide about? And the giant worm? And loads of other unanswered questions.

Still thought it was great though.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

I thought Dashcam was a blast. My only issue was not really knowing what was happening but I guess that was kind of the point.

  Hide contents

What was the mass-suicide about? And the giant worm? And loads of other unanswered questions.

Still thought it was great though.

 

Yeah I loved it as well, I love she's a complete twat and never lets up. Music was decent too and enjoying the end credits. However, fuck me to have a friend like that would be a nightmare.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/06/2022 at 21:39, yakumo said:

Yeah I loved it as well, I love she's a complete twat and never lets up. Music was decent too and enjoying the end credits. However, fuck me to have a friend like that would be a nightmare.

 

Just watched this and totally agree. I don't agree with anything she says and does, but her twattish character did make me chuckle quite a lot. I'm not even a fan of found footage tbh, but this was a step above the usual fare. Might check out Host on the strength of this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Coincidentally, I finally got round to watching Host tonight, and thought it was great. Until it finished, when I turned off the lights and went upstairs, at which point my cat gave me a minor heart attack by suddenly jumping out of the darkness at me for literally no reason.
 

What a jerk. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, jon_cybernet said:

Coincidentally, I finally got round to watching Host tonight, and thought it was great. Until it finished, when I turned off the lights and went upstairs, at which point my cat gave me a minor heart attack by suddenly jumping out of the darkness at me for literally no reason.
 

What a jerk. 

 

This reminds me of when The Ring came out and was going gangbusters. My nearest Blockbuster (Pontefract, in case you were wondering) got in the news because the staff were recording the names of the people who rented the film, waited until 10 that night, then rang their phones.

 

Fucking evil geniuses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just watched Dashcam after the convo here. Really good. I thought Host was better, mainly for two reasons. First being the camera work in Dashcam. It was a stylistic choice, with confusion being one element of fear, but it worked against the story in more than a few places. Second was the inconsistncy in the MC actions. Terrified one morment, strutting around the next, a twist which happened a few times.

 

Then there was the 

Spoiler

mass suicide. Came out of nowhere. So many forced events in a tight spot which left the viewer scratching their heads rather than scared.

 

And while on the whole the main character was well done she was an awful person I was actively rooting for her to die pretty early on, which is more of a personal gripe than anything else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Enjoyed Host so just about to turn down the lights and watch Dashcam. I have a soft spot for most of these cheap internet/cam films, probably since My Little Eye, which was shite but a fun premise. That's in the same gang as these types of film isn't it, Unfriended, Cam etc, internet related. A genre?

 

Anyway...lights off.

 

EDIT* And lights back on. Fuck me, 15 minutes in and I want this tit to have a major laceration to her tongue. I get what they're going with and it'll lead into the 'horror' part of the film but man she's fucking annoying. Should have read the thread or IMDB or something and been prepared. Still going to watch it but it's not a lights on low kind of thing with this muppet spitting shit. She's deffo a goner by the end, mind.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, amc said:

My Little Eye, which was shite but a fun premise.

 

did you ever get the DVD special? It allowed you to switch from one camera to another to see what everyone was doing at any one time.  Yeah, great premise, shit film.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No, unfortunately. That sounds a clever little DVD extra too. Think I still had Sky Movies or something and watched it via satellite not too long after release. That's the thing with completely giving yourself over to streaming, no more DVDs and their fun little extras and featurettes, but after binning hundreds of them about a decade ago they're long out of my life. I've never even bought a 4K Blu-ray film even though I have a couple of capable machines and a 77" Oled. For shame.

 

Movie picked up, ok fun once you get over the annoying protagonist. I'll never complain that a film has too much shaky cam after this, mind. Disorientation the movie. The chat had a couple of corkers at the exact right time. "You've been Tango'd" lol.

 

Oh, and from the mouth of the annoying lead I heard a long unheard phrase that was uttered around these parts many a year ago, in the pre enlightened times "shit on my tits". Weird

Link to comment
Share on other sites

New Video - All the main Alien movies, along with AVP 1 & 2 and Alien Isolation - in trailer format. 

 

Alien and Aliens still look (and are) incredible. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/06/2022 at 22:27, amc said:

Enjoyed Host so just about to turn down the lights and watch Dashcam. I have a soft spot for most of these cheap internet/cam films, probably since My Little Eye, which was shite but a fun premise. That's in the same gang as these types of film isn't it, Unfriended, Cam etc, internet related. A genre?

 

Anyway...lights off.

 

EDIT* And lights back on. Fuck me, 15 minutes in and I want this tit to have a major laceration to her tongue. I get what they're going with and it'll lead into the 'horror' part of the film but man she's fucking annoying. Should have read the thread or IMDB or something and been prepared. Still going to watch it but it's not a lights on low kind of thing with this muppet spitting shit. She's deffo a goner by the end, mind.  

I think its why I enjoy Dashcam a lot more than Host. She's such a cunt and the ending is subversive because of this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The best horror TV show is back, the first 2 episodes of season 3 of Evil are out. It's essentially a Catholic X-Files with some scientist and IT experts hired by the Catholic Church to look into possessions etc. There's a great cast some nice mysteries and it's pretty spooky at times. I think it's jumped around networks in America so it's probably one to pirate for now. It's great and I'm so pleased it's back. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/06/2022 at 21:39, yakumo said:

Yeah I loved it as well, I love she's a complete twat and never lets up. Music was decent too and enjoying the end credits. However, fuck me to have a friend like that would be a nightmare.

I really didn’t rate the movie (Dashcam) at all but the end credits are absolutely fantastic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

The best horror TV show is back, the first 2 episodes of season 3 of Evil are out. It's essentially a Catholic X-Files with some scientist and IT experts hired by the Catholic Church to look into possessions etc. There's a great cast some nice mysteries and it's pretty spooky at times. I think it's jumped around networks in America so it's probably one to pirate for now. It's great and I'm so pleased it's back. 

 

I've just watched the first episode online.

 

Wasn't thinking much of it at all (Don't rate Colter as an actor) but with the introduction of George followed up with Ben Linus I've got the second episode buffering as I write this.

 

Providing they keep those two characters, I'll keep giving it a try until it sticks.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really looking forward to the Black Phone - out this week. Was supposed to come out ages ago but seemed to keep getting delayed.

 

Stars Ethan Hawke and I believe it's directed by the same guy who did Sinister which i thought was absolutely brilliant.

 

From what I have heard, this is another great movie too.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Am I right in thinking this is a Joe Hill story / novel.

 

I remember watching the trailer for this what seems like years ago now.

 

I look forward to giving it a watch, and you can tell already that mask is going to be really popular for Halloween. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Arn X Treme said:

Am I right in thinking this is a Joe Hill story / novel.

 

I remember watching the trailer for this what seems like years ago now.

 

I look forward to giving it a watch, and you can tell already that mask is going to be really popular for Halloween. 

 

Yeah that's correct, Joe Hill.

 

I think IGN reviewed it back in October and gave it something like 9/10 before all the delays.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/06/2022 at 21:29, Silent Runner said:

 There's a great cast some nice mysteries and it's pretty spooky at times.

 

Thanks for the recommendation of this!

 

I binged a few of episodes back-to-back last night and I can feel myself falling in love with the show already.

 

"Spooky" don't begin to describe it! 

 

There's been a couple of moments in the first few episodes (Episode Three especially, that fucking kid, man) where I have felt real unease. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Arn X Treme said:

Am I right in thinking this is a Joe Hill story / novel.

 

I remember watching the trailer for this what seems like years ago now.

 

I look forward to giving it a watch, and you can tell already that mask is going to be really popular for Halloween. 

Joe Hill and Scott Derrickson , apparently its good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cassidy said:

I want to watch it but it's not on anything over here.

 

I think it's on Paramount Plus in America (it's hopped around TV channels and streaming platforms) so we might get it when that launches here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

 

I think it's on Paramount Plus in America (it's hopped around TV channels and streaming platforms) so we might get it when that launches here.

 

The wife and I have been watching it from the start. I thought we were the only two people! I have mixed feelings about season 2 as although the story ramped up, it was a bit odd with the swearing (no prude it was just a big shift from S1).

 

Not seen any of season 3 yet but many thanks for reminding me to 'look' for it. I guess I was expecting the same sort of break we had between 1 and 2 (literal years wasn't it?)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Scruff said:

 

The wife and I have been watching it from the start. I thought we were the only two people! I have mixed feelings about season 2 as although the story ramped up, it was a bit odd with the swearing (no prude it was just a big shift from S1).

 

 

Yeah, I think season 1 is thematically tighter,

Spoiler

the devil using social media to possess people. Season 2 is more generally spooky stuff with no real main driver. I did really it though. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

 

Yeah, I think season 1 is thematically tighter,

  Hide contents

the devil using social media to possess people. Season 2 is more generally spooky stuff with no real main driver. I did really it though. 

 

 

I thought the 

Spoiler

main plot was whether she was succumbing to evil? The vision that David sees of her with what I presume is the Devil, plus her murder ect. 

Either way looking forward to S3!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.