Jump to content
IGNORED

Good new horror films


squirtle
 Share

Recommended Posts

Detention is aggressively weird but I kinda loved it. I mean, by any rational standards it seems like a bad film, but it's so fucking off its head that I just said 'you know what, I'll go with it and see where you take me' and it was very enjoyable when approached that way. I had genuinely no idea what the plot was until very, very near the end (at which point things made 'sense') but that didn't really get in the way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just watched the Poughkeepsie Tapes on Youtube with my girlfriend.

On the whole a deeply troubling found footage film. I had to question whether or not to turn it off at certain points, particularly after the

little girl having her head bashed in in the garden

bit.

Potentially in quite bad taste but it's just clever enough to avoid being gratuitous. It reminded me slightly of the August Underground films, if that gives any of those interested an insight into the brutality of some of its later scenes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Having not heard of this, I googled it. Turned out its actually on Youtube, in parts and with Spanish subs but in English. Kind of wish I hadnt. Not particularly interesting for the first half, then utterly horrible to the point that few films have stuck with me as much (not in a good way). Some of the stuff at the end is just.....well, its the kind of stuff I think most people would be happier not seeing. Particularly

the 2 pictures that you see of Megan, the rape of Amy, but mostly when he tells Amy he needs to put her in the barrel to take her home "so she doesnt know where his house his", and he opens it up and Megans dead for god knows how long body is in there staring at the camera. The last part where he digs their grave to put the barrel in seems to take forever, made worse because you know there is no way out no matter what she says. The desperation, then realisation in her voice is horrible.

i just read the plot synopsis of this and it depressed me. one to avoid forever. sounds disgusting and horrible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i can't watch cruelty, even if it's not real. i had to turn off Martyrs. i find it really upsetting. i don't mind sadistic violence if it's explosive like Kill List, but films that linger on or are only about suffering i just don't understand the appeal of. horror movies should be about covering your eyes so you don't see the blood or jumping out of your seat, not crying in the shower to wash away the shame of rape.

it's actually quite disturbing: mainstream horror has taken what was confrontational and shocking about arthouse European cinema like Funny Games, removed all the subtext and presented misery and torture as entertainment on its own merit. it's fucked up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 years later...

Ooh, yes. I've been looking forward to this for a while. Directed by the guy who did Troll Hunter, which I thought was great.

That trailer seems like it's giving away some stuff that would be better left unknown until you watch it (though having not actually watched it, I'm just guessing), so if you already know about the film, I'd recommend not watching the trailer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn't watch the trailer prior to watching The Autopsy of Jane Doe. Probably wouldn't have bothered with it if I had. 

 

I thought it showed some real promise through the first thirty minutes or so with a lovley sense of building unease but then quickly went to complete shit.. Jump scares, more jump scares and a supernatural morris dancer.  

 

When are writers/producers going to stop trying to cram bloody everything in to a huge set piece for the final act of horror movies? Jeez.

 

Do yourself a favour, skip this one.

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got Lights Out ready to watch, heard Kermode give it a fairly positive review, which made it stand out from the cattleprod horror fare that usually gets his goat. Ouija: Origin of Evil also has a respectable average score (65 or summat on Metacritic) but even so a few reviews point to a weak final act.

 

Seems to be the hardest part for horrors to get right; more should go down the Jaws route of less is more, as more often than not, it's usually the reveal of the big bad that makes everything fall apart. I'd like a horror where things aren't wrapped up neatly or evil isn't given a reason to exist, it just is. Also a flaw of the genre that good films generally get sequels until the original is weakened by later franchise entries, or the back story is retconned to a point that tarnishes the original's legacy.

 

Anyway, also heard good things about Hush, so will seek that out too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has anyone seen Under the Shadow? Kermode named it the favourite film of 2016.

 

It's incredibly unsettling, and during one part I had a shiver down my spine like I've never had before. Unfortunately the ending lets it down, as is the case with most horror films, but it was a great watch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Paulando said:

Has anyone seen Under the Shadow? Kermode named it the favourite film of 2016.

 

It's incredibly unsettling, and during one part I had a shiver down my spine like I've never had before. Unfortunately the ending lets it down, as is the case with most horror films, but it was a great watch.

I felt it was severly disappointing.

 

The political and social setting and background of this movie was unique and gives it a certain value as a film that I have to suspect plays a big role in the high ratings of the movie.  A strong willed female character in war torn middle eastern country makes for a compelling story. Unfortunately, in my opinion, this backdrop quickly loses its value. It serves as nothing more than a means to put stress on a character whose primary source of stress comes from a not so subtly implied rift between her and her recently deceased mother. These conflicting sources of conflict  eventually water each other down and make the poorly conveyed metaphors difficult to nail down and con-volute the abrupt and unsatisfying ending. At the end of the movie, I could not tell you how anything had been resolved or how the character had evolved. There was no growth, and the entire events of the movie had been avoidable anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Tofu said:

I felt it was severly disappointing.

 

The political and social setting and background of this movie was unique and gives it a certain value as a film that I have to suspect plays a big role in the high ratings of the movie.  A strong willed female character in war torn middle eastern country makes for a compelling story. Unfortunately, in my opinion, this backdrop quickly loses its value. It serves as nothing more than a means to put stress on a character whose primary source of stress comes from a not so subtly implied rift between her and her recently deceased mother. These conflicting sources of conflict  eventually water each other down and make the poorly conveyed metaphors difficult to nail down and con-volute the abrupt and unsatisfying ending. At the end of the movie, I could not tell you how anything had been resolved or how the character had evolved. There was no growth, and the entire events of the movie had been avoidable anyway.

 

Agree completely.  Gets a contender nod for my 'Most Bafflingly Overrated Film of 2016' shortlist.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 21/12/2016 at 00:49, Skeeez said:

Didn't watch the trailer prior to watching The Autopsy of Jane Doe. Probably wouldn't have bothered with it if I had. 

 

I thought it showed some real promise through the first thirty minutes or so with a lovley sense of building unease but then quickly went to complete shit.. Jump scares, more jump scares and a supernatural morris dancer.  

 

When are writers/producers going to stop trying to cram bloody everything in to a huge set piece for the final act of horror movies? Jeez.

 

Do yourself a favour, skip this one.

 

 

 

 

 

I loved it personally. 2nd half weaker than the first for sure, but still pretty strong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
Agree completely.  Gets a contender nod for my 'Most Bafflingly Overrated Film of 2016' shortlist.


Kermode loves it because it's directed by an Iranian female. It's very dull, average at best. I very rarely agree with Kermodes number one film. He almost always has agenda, even if it's just too get more people to see his pet fave.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/12/2016 at 17:11, Dark Soldier said:

The Eyes of My Mother is the best horror of the year. Full of dread, completely without hope or redemption, very minimalist. It's a proper arthouse but its the style of horror I love. The atmosphere reminds me of Angst, and to some degree Martyrs.

 

Great shout.

 

Certainly up there with The Witch as my genre film of the year. Had to watch it via shady sources but will certainly be buying a copy once available legally as it is the sort of movie that deserves reward as well as recognition..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I enjoyed Don't Breathe as a bit of escapism, but the set-up is pretty contrived. As a result didn't really care about anyone involved (well, you can root for the blind man until the thing with the thing happens I suppose), which undermines the finale somewhat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On Monday, January 02, 2017 at 08:22, Treble said:

I like Kermode, but treat him as I would a friend talking about a film:  most of what they say is bollocks, but I like them personally so enjoy hearing their opinions and revel in their enthusiasm. 

 

My brother gave me The Babadook and said Kermode was raving about it along with others. I was underwhelmed by it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.