Good new horror films

squirtle

Session 9 has a great premise but is ultimately a bit of a snore. I think I even watched it on my OG modded xbox its been that long.

I actively choose not to watch Serbian Film, it sounds too far into being disgusting rather than disturbing.

5 hours ago, DirkCrisis said:

I think the likes of Salo, A Serbian Film, Murder Set Pieces and the August Mordum series probably have their place in that they're trying to push the boundaries with the audience. But I can't see that I'd ever bother with them.

Salo is a stone cold masterpiece though made by a virtuoso film maker. The rest is dreck. 

21 hours ago, gingerling said:

I watched A Serbian Film without reading anything about it. I also managed to download the uncut version.

I know it's not really a horror but no film has ever disturbed me like that film did.

Even now after a few years I get flashbacks of certain scenes. It doesn't help that my son was of a similar age to the boy in the final scene.

Spoiler? I'm not sure if it makes me want to watch it more or less, though. I didn't like that scene with the little boy in Under The Skin and that was nothing compared to what I can guess happens here.

Watched The Wailing last night, a South Korean horror that I'd recommend is worthy of a watch. Think it made a few best of 2016 lists. From a cinematography point of view it's beautifully shot - from village life to the rolling countryside it makes South Korea look beautiful. It's not a horror in the Western style, there's elements of comedy in the first hour that reminded me of early Jackie Chan but they eventually give way to chills, brooding atmosphere and worthy scares that aren't obviously signposted like most Western horror. The combination of subtitles and the story not being spoon fed to you - even at its resolution - mean you'll have to engage your brain, I'm still mulling it over today. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5215952/ 

Are you saying it ends on a vague non conclusion though? I need resolution, even if it's hidden and only revealed over time with analysis..it has to be in the film.

Was stunned to walk into asda yesterday and see a Dont Breathe standee and discs for sale, I thought it was some niche thing.

I really liked The Wailing but yeah that ending was ambiguous.

Spoiler

I'm assuming that the girl was actually trying to help, the shaman guy was initially as well but when the ritual was disturbed it allowed the demon to take him over, the Japanese guy was the devil. 

The ending was a test of faith in a sort of Jobesque way and the main guy failed the test. Hence everything went tits up.

Spoiler

The Japanese guy/Devil/Akuma goes to different villages but can't really do anything much (unless he's in human form) due to their guardian spirit (which is why the villagers are suspect of him - he lives outside the village, keeps to himself, always seems to be watching them etc.). The Shaman is his point man. The Devil causes small (for him) acts, the village calls in the Shaman. During the ritual, the Shaman isn't driving out the Devil, he's trying to get rid of the guardian spirit (the woman in white). Simultaneously, the guardian spirit is performing a ritual to get rid of the devil/Japanese man, and the devil is performing a ritual to possess the little girl.

The Shaman smashes and defiles the totem of the guardian spirit during his ritual, which allows the devil to work freely within the village.

Spoilers for The Wailing above.

@angel, no. The answers are there, but if you watched it with a friend, I'd imagine you'd both have a different take.

@El Spatula ambiguous indeed.

I'd agree the policeman character, and the stresses he and his family and extended family (villagers) endured was jobesque. But whilst the imagery used at the start when we first see the Japanese stranger in the woods, and at the end when the Deacon went to confront him at his home, was obviously demonic I'm not convinced it's quite so cut and dry. I kind of had the young woman and the old man as the 'angel and devil' on your shoulder archetypes. ying and yang. black and white. Which got me thinking they could both be elements of the same (potentially bored) deity.

20 hours ago, James Lyon said:

Spoiler? I'm not sure if it makes me want to watch it more or less, though. I didn't like that scene with the little boy in Under The Skin and that was nothing compared to what I can guess happens here.

Spoiler for what?

Spoiler

The bit with the newborn baby fucking

The bit where he gouges the dudes eye out with his huge dick

The bit where he is coaxed into fucking his son (who he doesnt realise is it son).

Dont worry, the ends nice when the family all lay in bed together and commit suicide.

5 hours ago, buizel said:

Spoiler for what?

Reveal hidden contents

The bit with the newborn baby fucking

The bit where he gouges the dudes eye out with his huge dick

The bit where he is coaxed into fucking his son (who he doesnt realise is it son).

Dont worry, the ends nice when the family all lay in bed together and commit suicide.

On the assumption that the movie might not go where I think it does, I'll not click that spoiler. All I know is that it's pretty disturbing.

If it makes it any better the sheer absurdity of it all really takes me out of the film, so I can't take it seriously or be affected by it.

It's like when shows like Jessica Jones get really dark and it's just eye rolling. This is kinda that, but does make you feel a bit gross watching it

A couple more to suggest.

last night watched Baskin. A Turkish film, extended from a short story to a fully fledged movie. Tonally quite dark, visually impressive, weird without being too gory. But a little slow to get going. Push past 40 minutes and a whole host of weird and unsettling arrives.

tonight watched The Girl With The Gift. A treat for lovers of the zombie genre. Very reminiscent of The Last Of Us.

16 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Really enjoyed Southbound, so cheers for the tip (whoever that was)

Watched this last night. Really inventive. Sort of reminded me of little remembered horror flick, Dead End with elements of Interstate 60.

On 1/20/2017 at 00:16, Graham said:

A couple more to suggest.

last night watched Baskin. A Turkish film, extended from a short story to a fully fledged movie. Tonally quite dark, visually impressive, weird without being too gory. But a little slow to get going. Push past 40 minutes and a whole host of weird and unsettling arrives.

tonight watched The Girl With The Gift. A treat for lovers of the zombie genre. Very reminiscent of The Last Of Us.

Trailer for Baskin was awesome. The film far less so IMO.

GWATG was a poor mans 28 Weeks Later, and a tad bland I thought 

Hmm....

Elaine| a beautiful young witch| is determined to find a man to love her. In her gothic Victorian apartment she makes spells and potions| and then picks up men and
seduces them. However her spells work too well| and she ends up with a string of hapless victims. When she finally meets the man of her dreams| her desperation to be
loved will drive her to the brink of insanity and murder. With a visual style that pays tribute to Technicolor thrillers of the 1970s| THE LOVE WITCH explores female
fantasy and the repercussions of pathological narcissism.

45fb72cb1a09249c335d6ad89fe97c32f1b544f4.jpg

Watched M. Night Shyamalan's The Visit last night and was pleasantly surprised.

The two main kids in it are quite precocious and annoying, especially the daughter, and it suffers from a bunch of the usual horror film tropes (e.g. "Why would you go in there!?!"), but I also found it suitably creepy and weird. Overall pretty entertaining.