IGNORED

Assassin's Creed III - More Bugs Than Starship Troopers

Harsin

Experiencing that Ben Franklin meeting in the shop where he goes on and on about older women was a real WTF moment. I did guess it had some kind of factual context, but even so :omg:

It's made all the more jarring by the fact that you don't see him at all again after that. He appears, tells you to collect his hundreds of scattered pages, eulogises the benefits of older women, and then buggers off. Maybe his side quest would have been more fun if it were a case of getting bonuses for knobbing as many ageing tarts as possible.

An unpopular opinion im sure but...im actually liking this now :lol:

I see all its flaws as well as anyone else, theres some ludicrously shit game design going on and for a supposed AAA game its a fucking shocker, but, i cant help but absolutely love the world its set in. I could walk around Boston for hours. I love walking down to the docks and exploring the tall ships. I guess it just speaks to me a bit as i always had a love for Tall Ships, Redcoats, all that kinda stuff as a kid. So it definitely helps me overlook some of the shortcomings.

I got a PC copy too, and starting the game over on that, knowing what i know now, helps alot. Some of the sections that were unbearable at first are fine now cause i know what the game expects of me. Its shit design but, im enjoying it anyway. Id definitely rate it higher than Revelations anyway. Brohood>2>3>1>Revelations

Finished this a couple days back.

The naval bits were great fun but massively underused. Everything else outside of that was a surreal hodgepodge unlike anything I've ever experienced in a videogame.

And the ending was total goddamn trash -

a spit in the eyeball to the many of us that followed the story through from the beginning. Ezio had the right idea at the end of Revelations. "Fuck this gig".

K summed it up nicely i think. Thats mroe or less my impression of it so far, especially in regards to Haytham as a main character. Tho i dont mind Connor, hes a bit dull but if theyd gone all out and made him a charming lothario hed be accused of being an Ezio wannabe. I love his look anyway, the design of his Assassins outfit is the coolest of the lot, imo. I also like the combat now, after taking a while for it to click. Its simplistic, but it means a spack hand like me can pull off some incredible looking kill moves with ease. Never gets old grabbing a human shield to avoid a firing line too.

Had a great moment int he boston tea party mission, i climbed the main mast of a boat int he harbour, sniped a bunch of redcoats with my bow and arrow, then did an awesome double air assasination off the top of the mast on the remaining 2 guys. Felt like a right badass. For all its flaws, and there are many, im still really liking the game.

Just finished this tonight, I finished Connor's part of the story the night before, which only highlighted how brief the modern day ending is and the length of the God damn credits. I really did hate it by the end and just wanted it to be over but for a lot of it there was some weird compulsion (I wouldn't quite call it enjoyment) that pulled me back in and made me look forward to the next time I'd play it.

Like K, I was addicted to the Homestead missions for a time, I think it was the fact that they offered the most basic glimpses of humanity and character in comparison to 'every person from history is an arsehole'. It felt pretty sad when I'd completed them all and there was absolutely no reward for it, save for theoretically being able to craft some more items. I think I could have enjoyed the crafting if the menu system wasn't the worst designed piece of shit UI I've ever seen in my life. Did anyone ever manage to make a Naval Convoy?

As for the Naval missions, I pretty much missed all of them until right at the end of the game. I played the ones you had to but then didn't realise that you were building up a bunch you could select from the Homestead docks, only coming back to them before the final Naval story mission as I didn't want to go in cold. They were leagues ahead of everything else but commanding the ship didn't really click with me and most missions seemed to end up with me and another ship endlessly circling each other, trying to get in a barrage of cannonfire when I wasn't ducking incoming shots.

I'm pretty sure this will be the last of these games I will play now, it's left that bad a taste in my mouth. Christ, I think I'd even look back on the first game favourably by comparison. Only if I hear word of the next one being as monumental a turnaround as from 1 to 2 would I consider it.

It's weird that I accepted stuff like Ezio having a scrap with the Pope in the middle of the Vatican using sci-fi gadgets with nary a pause, but for some reason I find scenes like the founding fathers signing the deceleration of independence and then turning to thank Connor, who's been sat in the corner the whole time in full assassin regalia, as ludicrous.

It's weird that I accepted stuff like Ezio having a scrap with the Pope in the middle of the Vatican using sci-fi gadgets with nary a pause, but for some reason I find scenes like the founding fathers signing the deceleration of independence and then turning to thank Connor, who's been sat in the corner the whole time in full assassin regalia, as ludicrous.

I think it's a mixture of probably not knowing much detail about that period in history on a personal level, combined with how recent the American revolution is in relative terms. To think that history wouldn't record him does seem a bit ridiculous, other than because he was a Native American so of course he'd get left out. At the same time I feel like us in the UK are at a disadvantage because we probably don't know that much about the American Revolution, I have no idea what the significance of the battle of Lexington was for example but to someone well versed in it, it might be more exciting. All of the games have been filled with historical events but it's never really stopped them telling whatever story they felt like before now, this just felt so pedestrian plodding through every major point in that time period while Connor's personal story was left by the wayside.

I think the main problem with Connor being present for the signing of the declaration of independence is that there’s no reason for him to be there – it’s just another item to be checked off the list of Great Historical Events of the era. It’s like he just wandered in, and sits there looking bored while such historical figures as Barry Hancock and Jacob Chips sign away.

It would have been easier to suspend your disbelief if Connor had been involved in these events, but as a bystander or by influencing events behind the scenes, i.e. taking down rooftop guards at the Boston Tea Party rather than actually chucking boxes of tea into the harbour. Or if they’d gone full mental like in ACII, and had you fist-fighting all of the founding fathers who’ve been possessed by ancient AIs hell-bent on drawing speed dobbers all over the declaration of independence.

• 2 weeks later...

After the bad taste that Revelations left, I've taken my time getting to this.

Only up to the part where you arrive in the new world so far, but it hasn't been too bad. That opening mission was pretty good.

I've heard the negative opinions about this game from various sources so I'm keeping my expectations low. Maybe it'll be an enjoyable game even if its not as good as its predecessors.

One little thing bothers me though story wise:

Is Desmond stabbing Lucy going to be brought up at all? They all seem remarkably Blasé about Desmond handling the Apple & fiddling with that Ancient Tech given what it made him do last time. AFAIK Desmond is not aware of the "Revelation" of the Lost Archive DLC from Revelations as that was just from Subject 16's perspective.

I know that it's a small thing compared to the main point of this game which is all the founding of America stuff, but I've always been interested in the future story part of Assassin's Creed franchise & the Glyph puzzles were one of the best parts of AC2 & Brotherhood IMO.

I never played that particular DLC, so don't know how it was executed. But in this they all talk like Lucy being a spy and Desmond shanking her as being a good thing that they're all aware of.

Ah, right. So Ubisoft forgot how they were presenting their own story. That doesn't bode well for the plot of AC3 being a narrative masterpiece or tieing up the whole future-story thing in a satisfying way. :(

Picked this up on the Wii U over the weekend as they were doing all console versions for the same price (£29) and I'd been waiting for a bit of a drop, I'd just finished Zombi U and wanted to play something else on my new shiny console.

Anyway, not far in, still playing as Haytham, but so far so good. It's got some comedy moments - I had to pickpocket some guards to get a key, and one was on a roof. I figured he was the best target but when I climbed up, he saw me, lunged for me and fell off the roof. Some other guards noticed so I went and "hid" in some waist high grass, because, thin, green grass should easily conceal my blue garments and pointy hat. After the guard had forgotten what they were up to, I ambled back round to the dead guard and nicked his key. Glad no one thought to remove the corpse.

But still... Any game that has you trying to waft at the air to catch pages of Ben Franklin's book can't be all bad.

Oh, and I loved the sea journey to America. Looks nice too.

Well, a colleague of mine bought this for me for Xmas, so I've been having to play it recently. I'm maybe 7-9 hours in, and just got to the point where Connor is wearing Assassin clothes. Desmond's gone on a skyscraper mission, powered up a thing, and had a lot of chats with a hologram.

So far, it's fucking shit.

And made entirely by people who appear to hate games and gamers. Push forward to get to next cutscene is happening far too often, they've spent like 5 hours re-introducing game mechanics that I've already learned (and which aren't very difficult anyway) and yet spent no time helping out a newcomer with what's actually going on.

I'm not experiencing any bugs though. And I got my first ever AC vertigo on the Desmond skyscraper mission.

Worst AC ever, so far. I hope I can get far enough in so that I can cover if my colleague asks me how I'm enjoying the present soon. I won't be getting any more Creeds.

I finally completed this over the weekend, and the last few missions are just unbelievably shit. On one, you

you light a signal tower, get hit by a cannonball, and then randomly bump into your evil dad, who you then kill by throwing him into some barrels. On the next, you chase a man through a burning boat, both get critically injured, and then chase each other several hundred miles to a rural pub for no reason, have a drink together, and then you stab him. WTF barely captures it, it’s like they just completely gave up trying to put across any sense of climax or crescendo and just said “fuck it, let’s just have the baddie run through a boat.”

Pegging the storyline so closely to the events of the revolutionary war was a big mistake, any semblance of a story is just drowned out by the narrative contortions needed to have Connor present at Bunker Hill, the Boston Tea Party, Paul Revere’s ride, the signing of the declaration of independence, the Battle of Chesapeake, D-Day, the assassination of JFK, the Sex Pistol’s gig at the Manchester Free Trade Hall, 9/11, the OJ Simpson trial, and the UK release of Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. By the end of it, I had no fucking idea what was going on, it’s just a mess of different historical figures popping up for cameos and then disappearing into the chaos.

There’s a semblance of a good game in there – the story missions where you team up with Haytham are the highlight by some considerable margin, as there’s some kind of conflict and narrative intrigue to their relationship, and they make some attempt to give him his own motivations and opinions. Most of the game is you heading towards an exclamation point on the map to have General Bethlehem van Biscuits turn up and order you to kill someone for murky reasons.

It’s frustrating. I was actually enjoying it for most of the game, and there are some good bits, like the tree parkour, the hunting, the naval battles and some of the more imaginative missions, but the total lack of any kind of satisfying conclusion properly soured the whole thing.

They must have run out of time towards the end, because the start of the game is so incredibly slow and painstaking – you don’t even play as Connor until sequence 5 or so – that I got the sense it was all building towards something massive. They spend ages building up Haytham’s gang of rogues, and then they hardly feature. The last few sequences only have one or two missions each, they go past incredibly quickly – as if they just didn’t get the opportunity to properly flesh them out.

I’d love to know what happened, because I can’t believe they actually intended the game to end the way it did. Were there massive changes of direction during development, or did they just get spend all their time and money on the enormous amount of seemingly pointless content? Like hunting, crafting, exploring the underground, trading, etc that’s all implemented in tremendous detail but doesn’t actually serve any function.

The modern-day missions are pretty lame as well, I enjoyed the skyscraper one for the spectacle, but the Abstergo mission was such a weak way to resolve the Vidic storyline – it was just the Abstergo map from ACII with additional comically inept security guards, with you chasing someone round the foyer like Benny Hill.

After ACII, I was expecting something truly epic – something to rival fighting the pope inside an alien artefact hidden under the Vatican – but they just didn’t deliver. What a waste of everyone’s time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...