Wasteland 2 - Director's Cut

drkbfhmmr

Apart from more than doubling my pledge, I've written an over-enthusiastic (clearly a fanboy) short piece in Dutch here on this latest exciting Wasteland 2 development with the catchy (and hopefully attention-grabbing) title 'God Exists: Wasteland 2 becomes Black Isle project' - in Dutch of course, but that is the literal translation of the title. It's only for a small niche website, but in that short piece I explain exactly why this is basically the best thing ever and why every self-respecting RPG fan should donate asap. I'll be hitting the social media things hard with it, and if I manage to get even one or two more gamers to donate I will be happy to have made a small difference.

Edit: made it even more clear that it's in Dutch lest I inadvertently traumatize some of you good people! :lol:

Is Grim Dawn on Kickstater too?.. In fact dont answer that, already spent WAY too much this month!

OK I won't say that they are talking about it but they've been selling the game on their site for a while now, partly how they've been funding it. :D

I think that the kick starter money covers the basic engineering costs, they'll be banking on retail sales to cover marketing / profit.

It's a great development, though. I'd never have seen myself funding a new Grim Fandango and a new Rainbow Six (based on the ORIGINAL concept of tactical shooter).

Hopefully we'll see this happening a lot more. It's like putting the idea of Indy games on steroids.

Eh? What's the rainbow six game?

The epic cut scenes you see in games like Mass effect and modern games are brilliant but you know what, the older type is just as captivating. It really sets your imagination working over time about what the narrator is talking about in a way cut-scenes rarely manage, it's almost like the difference between books and films I suppose. At least for me personally.

The music in the IWD games is amazing as well.

New interview with Chris Avellone at Gamebanshee. Among other things he talks about what Obsidian's role in the development will be (currently it seems to be just Chris who's involved), and the possibility of their own Kickstarter project!

GB: Jason Anderson already spent a great deal of time working on Wasteland 2's storyline, and Brian Fargo has already made it pretty clear what the team's design goals are for the game. Assuming you'll reach the $2.1 million milestone, where does Obsidian Entertainment come in? Will you be tweaking existing story elements, adding more, or contributing in other areas?

Chris: It’s up to the design goals of the project. While Jason Anderson isn’t at inXile anymore, I have a lot of respect for Jason's story skills based on Fallout 1 and the story layouts for Fallout 2. I suspect I'd be doing area and narrative design, and fleshing out a piece of the wasteland, but we'll have to see what the needs of the project are.

Also, a game story is always a starting place - it provides an overarching vision for the game. If it’s anything like Obsidian’s narrative structure process, stories and areas get divided for individual designers to flesh out – it’s easy to say “Quartz is taken over by a gang that’s holding the mayor hostage,” or “New Reno is home to 4 mob bosses” but going from there is a long, fun design journey.

GB: What role will other team members at Obsidian play in Wasteland 2's development? Will Feargus, Tim Cain, J.E. Sawyer, and others be making contributions, as well? Would Obsidian's efforts go beyond story and design, in that you could potentially be contributing art assets and sound effects, or even helping with programming and bug fixing?

Chris: Currently, it’s just me, and I would potentially be assisting with narrative and area design, as well as conversation editor suggestions and structure. Ultimately, we won't know the final logistics for a short while longer, but we'll keep folks updated - right now, it's solely design content work, which is one of Obsidian's strengths.

[...]

GB: You've hinted at the prospect that Obsidian Entertainment might pursue their own Kickstarter project in the near future. Does your collaboration on Wasteland 2 affect those plans at all? If not, when might we see a crowd-funded Obsidian project surface?

Chris: No, it won't affect our own Kickstarter projects. We do feel that there was a lot of benefit in learning from Brian's experience with Kickstarter, and I believe there's a lot of smart ways he engineered the process that I'd love to learn from, both in what's shown to the public and how he strategizes internally. Also, Brian's a good guy... I'm sure if we ever came out with a project and asked for help, he'd be willing to put in a good word with us with the community - just as he's already done extensive efforts to "Kicking it Forward" already.

Ultimately, I want to support this process. I want to support Double Fine. I want to support inXile. This style of funding feels more pure to me - it gets player interest first, and draws support from the people playing the title and are passionate about the title, not projections on who might play it and also not from publisher projections on the genre and interest.

There's challenges, but we're willing to meet those challenges head on and make this work.

Also, check out the increase in funding when the Obsidian news surfaced (I assume the RPGCodex spike might be related to this interview - definitely worth a read if you want to hear Fargo's honest opinion on game publishers)

currentdiff.png

Kickstarter - Shadowrun Returns:

Jordan Weisman, the creator of Shadowrun, is back and Shadowrun Returns (for Apple & Android tablets and PCs) is the game that Shadowrun fans have been waiting for a long time. A graphically rich 2D turn-based single player game with deep story interaction, meaningful character development, and highly-contextual tactical combat, Shadowrun Returns is not only going to make some old geeks (like us) very happy but it will introduce new players to a dynamic gaming universe that is beloved around the world.

The page isn't loading properly for me, but is this like a follow-up to the SNES Shadowrun??? Because that is another one of my favourite games of all time and to this day I'm still upset and disappointed that the promised sequel never materialised and that they used the name to make fucking first-person multiplayer shooter of all fucking things on the 360, while the setting has so much potential in a 3D open city setting similar to how Bloodlines did it. So is it? A follow-up to the SNES version? Because if it is then I'll have no choice but to GIVE THEM ALL MY MONEY

They want to make a story-driven RPG, and publish the world-building tools they use to make the game so people can write their own adventures too. Weisman doesn't mention which particular incarnations of Shadowrun the new game will draw its pedigree from (it was originally a tabletop role-playing system), but it's certainly suggested it'll be more like the SNES game than the Xbox one. It sounds a lot like a cyberpunk-fantasy version of Neverwinter Nights to me.

EDIT: From the reward tiers, it doesn't look like they are planning a boxed version of the game. No sale! :angry:

I see Leisure Suit Larry remake now has a Kickstarter.

Not sure how I feel about that, seeing as the game was already announced last year.

I'm not a Larry fan as I only played a tiny bit of the first one ages ago so I probably won't add to this. I think a new game would have gone down better than a remake but I think that there are licensing issues.

Can't help but feel a 'pang' when Al opens the door marked 'Sierra' in the kickstarter video tho. :(

It sounds a lot like a cyberpunk-fantasy version of Neverwinter Nights to me.

Yeah, that's the impression I got too. It has the potential to be amazing. Looks like the old school RPG is well and truly back.

There's not a lot of details but they do mention it'll be party based and they'll be bringing back the conversation system from SNES game.

EDIT: From the reward tiers, it doesn't look like they are planning a boxed version of the game. No sale! :angry:

Not sure if you're being funny but I just don't understand this reason not to donate. What's the most you can do with a box anyway, display it on a shelf and look fondly at it every time you enter the room? I still have my Deus Ex, System Shock 2, and Planescape Torment boxes but they're more heirlooms now, fond memories of a bygone era, it's a ridiculously wasteful and inefficient way of doing things considering the digital delivery systems we have now.

It's not going to be feasible for every company ( Dead State devs have also admitted as much ) and that's not some sort of wacky subterfuge but just a reflection of trying to keep the costs down so that they can bring these beloved projects to fruition on kickstarter funds.

Shadowrun has passed the $200k mark, did it only go up today?

If you include pay pal Wasteland is at 1.98 million with 12 days to go, The Banner Saga is at 365k with 16 days to go.

I'm so happy all these projects are going to get the green light, when you toss in Legend of Grimrock and the other indie RPGs it really does look like the golden era of PC gaming is making a come back. As I said before I'll happily put down $15-30 to 'pre-order' these games and I expect I might get burned by 1 or 2 but I consider it worth while to see these old type games simply get a chance once again.

Okay having read up on the Shadowrun thing I'm obligated as a massive fan of SNES Shadowrun to GIVE THEM MONEY so I gave them some

New Shadowrun RPG :omg: Fuck yeah kickstarter bringing the proper games back fuck all y'all AAA fps action games have fun with your Halo 446583: Revenge of the Chief, Boozy :omg:

Shadowrun has passed the $200k mark, did it only go up today?

I think it did!

Golden era is here again :omg: