IGNORED

Amiga MAS Player

roberthazelby

Since early 2010 I've really got back into the Amiga scene. My expanded A1200 has been permanently set-up, and I've event bought a few extra bits and pieces for it (a network card, and a WHDLoad licence key to name a few).

In the early 90s I really used my Amiga for games, a bit of email, some MUDing and demos, but didn't really give the more serious side to the system much thought.

This time around I'm having more fun with the serious side. I'm slowly tinkering away with AMOS Pro in an effort to try and knock up a basic games, and am also learning about MODs and how to go about creating my own music in Octamed 5.

One nice thing I've noticed in the past two years is how the classic Amiga scene seems to be going from strength to strength. The Amiga forums I visit seem to be getting busier and busier, and every other day someone posts explaining how they found their old machine in the loft and how they now want to get back into the scene again.

The hardware scene for classic systems is also doing well. New graphics cards have been released, as have new processor and RAM expansion boards.

A week or so back AmigaKit started selling MAS Player expansions. It's a nice interface which fits onto the parallel port of the Amiga, and which then enables the Amiga to play MP3s up to a bitrate of about 192kbps. If you try to run an MP3 using standard Amiga hardware it'll use up pretty much all CPU cycles and will sound terrible. This device takes the load off the Amiga.

You can see the device here:

https://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1078

You plug the joystick adaptor on it into the joystick port (it needs this for power), and then, using the throughport on the device you plug in your joystick (so you can still use it with the device plugged in). L and R stereo leads from the device go into the L and R sound ports of the Amiga, and then you connect your speakers up to the device with the 3.5mm jack. This means you can have both the MP3 streaming and standard Amiga audio coming out the same socket.

I'll admit that getting one of these 'is' completely pointless, but it's also a lot of fun. My 1200 is coming up to 20 years old, and I think it's fantastic that little things like these are being produced for the old beast.

Roll on the release of the next Indivision AGA board.

I do miss my Amiga days. Still have my A1200 somewhere.

I keep wanting to get back into the scene, but i never seem to have time to game, let alone start using my A1200 again. Had a nice little set up, although my HD died in it years back which was part of my life gone (full of games and programs but also code, animations and other things i had spent my youth creating). I swapped the drive for a working one but never installed anything besides workbench again.

Amos is actually available on the PC now too.

Space is limited in my poky little flat so I can't have everything set up all the time, sadly. The C64 gets most use and is always available, but I wish I could have the 1200 set up too. Wouldn't mind putting a new drive in, maybe one of those CF ones although I hear they're not reliable.

I was more a Protracker type of person seeing as I was into the demo scene. Octamed had the features but it was more for people who didn't make music for demos.

I've expressed this before but what I love about the C64 scene is the base hardware is what people create stuff for. Yes there are hard drives, network cards, SuperCPU etc but 99.9% of demos, games and applications run on a standard C64. I'd get more into the Amiga demo scene again if a 1200 was the target machine, perhaps with an 030, but it's all about the 040+ systems and loses some of the focus, not that I'm knocking the high-end Amigas, I just like the "look what we can do with a standard system, try it out on the hardware" attitude of the 8-bit scene.

I'd love to get an A500, or A600 sometime, but I've noticed that the price on them is still reasonably high for something I'd only be tinkering with - and I flat refuse to buy a nicotine orange machine!

If anyone knows of anyone getting rid of one (particularly a A600), please, let me know!

I'd love to get an A500, or A600 sometime, but I've noticed that the price on them is still reasonably high for something I'd only be tinkering with - and I flat refuse to buy a nicotine orange machine!

If anyone knows of anyone getting rid of one (particularly a A600), please, let me know!

heres a mythbusters for you.

The "nicotine orange" effect is nothing to do with smoking. I always used to think the same when i was young, as my parents were smokers - even though my amiga was in a room they never smoked in.

Turns out the plastic they used to use for the amiga (and c64/ snes i believe) changes colour overtime. Nothing to do with nicotine at all.

Well, unless you was just using that a a description of the computers and now i look like a bit of a tit.

Basically, you would be hard to find a machine that didnt have any tinting.