Pixel Nation, competition time!

Lorfarius

Hi Lorf.

I picked up a copy of your NES_Bit magazine and liked it well enough to be interested in Pixel Nation BUT... it's not cheap at £3.99 for a PDF and £8.99 for a paper copy. Not saying for one second it's not worth that much, but it's a reasonable amount to just stump up in the hope that it's good.

I was wondering if you could make available (either publicly or to me privately) a low-res PDF copy or a PDF of the first 20 or so pages? Mainly so I can gauge quality before buying a paper or PDF copy of the whole thing.

I only think you'll need to do this for this first edition as once people have read that, then they'll know what to expect in the future. What do you reckon?

Cheers...

I was wondering if you could make available (either publicly or to me privately) a low-res PDF copy or a PDF of the first 20 or so pages? Mainly so I can gauge quality before buying a paper or PDF copy of the whole thing.

I only think you'll need to do this for this first edition as once people have read that, then they'll know what to expect in the future. What do you reckon?

Cheers...

The price has what's so far put me off from putting an order in.

I liked Retro Fusion, (I mention that because this looks to be similar - please correct me if I'm wrong!) but wouldn't consider paying £8.99 for it.

This magazine looks like it's really good, and a readable sampler would be fantastic. Perhaps some scans of the contents so we can see what's in it would also be nice.

Don't forget guys, this is 100 page book in high quality, full colour gloss print throughout. It's priced as low as it can be as printing for these things isn't cheap :( NES-Bit alone for a 32 page magazine was £3.50 a copy. We have packed it with loads of quality content and I'd love some support. We even throw in free postage.

Not sure if you missed the image scans up top Rob? There's also several on the site to show off what's inside as well as a good description of the contents and with articles from the likes of RetroCollect and NintendoLife there should be plenty to suit everyone :)

Also we haven't anything to do with RetroFusion at all :wacko:

Feedback has also started making its way back with emails and comments from all over. No complaints so far and full praise, which must be a good thing :D

As I said in my post, I'm not doubting for a second that the price is fair for the book, it's just a matter (for me personally anyway) whether I want to stump up £9 for a book I can't see at all. Whatsoever.

I really liked NES-Bit ( :wub: ) so I'm pretty confident I'll like this but I don't want to pay £9 to find out. :D

Amazon do a 'look inside' thing on certain books so you can see if you'll like it. Couldn't you do the same thing by sending me (us?) a PDF of the first 20 or so pages?

Cheers...

Not sure where you are in Checkout but if its the select an address part, make sure the billing address is selected in the white box. If that doesn't work there's an option under the box that says "I want to use a new address". Click that and tap one in :)

I bought a copy today. I've had a quick skim of the PDF while I wait for the print copy to arrive. Must say I'm pretty impressed with it so far. Looking forward to getting my hard copy so I can sniff those freshly printed pages, something you just don't get from a digital mags/books.

I bought a copy today. I've had a quick skim of the PDF while I wait for the print copy to arrive. Must say I'm pretty impressed with it so far. Looking forward to getting my hard copy so I can sniff those freshly printed pages, something you just don't get from a digital mags/books.

Packing them was the worst part, finally waving goodbye and sending them off into the wild like a retro adventurer. Take care of it :lol:

• 1 month later...

Work on issue 2 has begun and we have some great content lined up. Focusing on more interviews this time round and the whole design is being changed, onwards and upwards as they say :)

The U-Publish is really starting to come into its own now and I've just come to an agreement with a couple of people and we can expect another 10 books over the next few days.

If you can do it, I think getting interviews is a really good way to go, Lorf.

It gives an opportunity to create something unique and reduces the risk of what some might see as 'repeating' when directly covering games. That's not a criticism of your work, just an understanding of how people can react. You only have to see the stick Darran gets with Retro Gamer or look at any forum for evidence of that!

Congratulations with this too. I think your post on EAB was the first I saw of the book some weeks ago, though I've not got round to saying this little 'well done'. It's brilliant and pleasing to see another project come to fruition.

Thanks :D It's really been an amazing project to be involved with. Have some amazing projects in the works plus we have hired professional writers now!

Also some massive news in the works, been in talks with a very, very big store who have agreed to stock the first issue across the country. Still sorting the finer details but issue 1 will be appearing in shops soon :blink:

That is amazing news, congrats. Any hints on where it might be? Would be handy just to wander up into town at lunch and pick a copy up.

I had forgotten about this whole venture until the other day when a letter pimping it turned up on Gamecentrals letters page.

Couple of new titles added to U-Publish, PC Engine Gamer and ZX Spectrum Gamer:

http://pixel-nation....pc-engine-gamer

http://pixel-nation....-spectrum-gamer

There's 8 issues available and all free to download. It's a very good start for the U-Publish concept as I want this to grow and offer a central download section for people to visit. We will offer free downloads as well as books/mags that authors want to sell so it's well worth checking back. Just in talks with another author for a further 4 magazines, so more to follow!