IGNORED

Project X Zone

Keyboard Koala

l_4f83b4f06e1a8.jpg

Dunno if people been following this, but for some weeks 3DS fans have been teased by Capcom, Namco and Sega about an upcoming new game that is being developed by teams from those three companies.

Several teaser images (feat. chromosomes that resemble videogame characters in a petri dish) have been changed from time to time, and now the final teaser image has been put on their website ( > http://pxz.channel.or.jp/ ), together with a countdown that'll reach zero on April 12, 2012. Supposedly that's when the mystery title will be revealed.

Tbh, I haven't got a clue what kind of game this will be, but a co-operation between Capcom, Namco and Sega surely has piqued my curiosity.

Stay tuned!

EDIT: Apparently the final teaser image is no longer there, but this is how it looked like (plus what the internet community thinks it means):

1332543627.jpg

Devilot! Batsu! Kos-Mos! B-Bahn?!

Whatever the characters may be (nice to see Bruce Willis in there too - if you know what I mean), I still have absolutely no idea what to expect here...

Most rumours seem to go for the cross-over beat'em-up theory. There are indeed a lot of characters from fighting games (Fighting Vipers *swoon*), but then why pick the 3DS as the platform for it?

:sherlock:

Bayonetta?

Not-Bruce-Willis from Die Hard Arcade?!

This is going to be something really underwhelming and never, never, never, ever going to be localised, isn't it? I'm steeling myself for potential dissapointment here.

If it's a fighting game then I'd better be able to fight as the car from Daytona again, versus a car from Ridge Racer. And, I dunno, a car from Auto Modellista or something I guess.

I'd like it to be something like Retro Game Challenge, with lots of skewed and twisted references to their old games.

I'd also like it to be Smash Bros.

And I wouldn't mind it being a delightfully dense fan-service RPG.

Or a melded Outrun/Ridge/Daytona and, uh... Auto Modellista racing game with lovely blue skies and helicopters and driftin'.

Or a multi character Scrolling Beat em Up in the same vein as Gaurdian Heroes, but with Strider and Alex Kidd and the car from Daytona in it.

Or a Survival Horror game where all these obscure 8 and 16bit characters from games you love constantly pop out of closets and vents, grab you by the face, and tell you explicity how old you must be getting if you remember them. Then drone on about how everything you love about games is dead, but to get over it and return to your loveless real life relationships.

I'm really looking forward to it.

There where these images too23vmj.jpg

full.jpg

I imagine the game will be like this one

Namco_capcom.jpg

Namco × Capcom (Japanese: ナムコ クロス カプコン Hepburn: Namuko Kurosu Kapukon?)[1] is an action RPG/tactical RPG hybrid game for the PlayStation 2 console, developed by Monolith Soft and featuring characters from games produced by companies Namco and Capcom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namco_%C3%97_Capcom

The mysterious Capcom/Namco Bandai/Sega 3DS collaboration has been revealed as Project X Zone.

According to the latest issue of Japanese magazine Famitsu (via Andriasang) Project X Zone is a strategy role-playing game featuring characters from the three companies.

Characters team up in pairs. Here's the list in full:

Capcom: Ryu and Ken (Street Fighter), X and Zero (Mega Man), Demitri and Dante (Darkstalkers and Devil May Cry), Chris and Jill (Resident Evil).

Sega: Shinguji Sakura and Ogami Ichiro (Sakura Wars), Pai and Akira (Virtua Fighter), Kurt and Riela (Valkyria Chronicles), Ulala and Touma (Space Channel 5 and Shining Force EXA).

Namco Bandai: Sanger Somvold (Super Robot Wars), Jin and Ling Xiaoyu (Tekken), Kos-Mos and T-elos (Xenosaga), Yurie and Estel (Tales of Vesperia), Kaito and Black Rose (.hack).

The producer is Namco Bandai's Kensuke Tsukanaka, who revealed that the game began after Namco approached Capcom with the idea. Then Sega was drafted in.

Characters have familiar moves. Ryu and Ken have the Shoryuken and fireball attacks, for example. X and Zero have the X Buster and Z Saber. Ulala has a Tension Blaster move. The character list isn't final either - more characters will be added, including hidden characters.

With development 50 per cent complete, the game launches this year in Japan, but there's no word on whether it's heading West.

ketchup

Quite interesting actually, probably will never come out over here but sounds novel.

I wanted it to be a new card fighters though, I really, really want the original one on DSiWare, it was one of the best things about the NeoGeo Pocket.

Christ, does it take three developers to come up with something as mediocre as this?! I mean, some of these images reminded me of Virtua Fighter on the MegaDrive ffs.

Massive disappointment; but then again this is never going to make it to Europe anyway.

No, it just takes one, the 3 headliners only gave their character IP to this project, the person producing it last worked on Super Robot Wars, which would give a massive clue as to why this game is what it is, that game series doesn't need flash graphics and I'm surprised people would complain about visuals in a SRPG, that isn't the selling point of such games.

You could level that criticism at most games if you wanted to enough.

No but the premise sounds fun and all pitting all those characters from different franchises against one another but err yeah. I guess this is more suited towards the Japanese audience.

Isn't Fire Emblem just Advance Wars in medieval clothing, and with a level-up system and death?

Fire Emblem has more in common with something like Shining Force, both games feature you controlling a central character, and the units you have are all named with personalities and there is a storyline for you to care about. You fight across various maps with changeable weapons and attack types being choosable.

[Console] Wars has generic units you can build once you capture/control resource points and the attack type is auto-set, with no options. Much more like Chess.

The 2 games are quite different really.

But the gameplay is pretty much identical, right?

So Fire Emblem has a story, and the little virtual men all have names and a face, but, yeah, OK.

In the same way that Sonic the Hedgehog and Super Mario World are platformers, yeah, identical gameplay. notsureifserious.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Kinda surprised this didn't garner more attention on here, but I suppose it came out at a bad time what with Fire Emblem doing the rounds. Anyway, I went with this and I'm really enjoying it, despite some odd design decisions.

The game (though it doesn't make a big deal of it) is a spinoff sequel to Super Robot Taisen - Endless Frontier. That was an RPG for the DS which itself was a spinoff from the Super Robot Wars series of strategy RPGs that have pretty much never seen a western release. Even Endless Frontier was only released in Japan and the USA, and it's sequel, EXCEED, stayed in Japan. Now, Endless Frontier was a totally different game to SRW, a more traditional RPG with a combat system reminiscent of Valkyrie Profile. Additionally, the game has a great deal in common with Namco X Capcom. Overall it was pretty good. You might wonder why this is all relevant, but it's rich tapestry :lol:

So the game's a spin-off of a spin-off. Even so, if you've played Endless Frontier, the main similarity to X Zone is the combat mechanic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjza9hmb1a0

You select moves in real-time, and your character's perform them. Your aim is to attempt to knock the enemy off their feet, and use your moves to keep them in the air for as long as possible, while you hit them with more moves. Keeping them in the air prevents them from guarding and increases the damage you do. You have a bar which fills up as you do moves that you use for super moves, but you also use this bar to defend and counter-attack on the strategy map. It might seem simple, but it's very fun - the character moves are wild and spectacular.

Project-X-Zone-Map-Screenshot-1.jpg

This is where the game differs from Endless Frontier, and it has its good and bad points.

The game has made a shift to being structured like an SRPG. This means that there's no "exploring" like in EF or an RPG like Final Fantasy. Instead, you go from battle, to cutscene, to battle, to cutscene, to menu screen, to cutscene, to battle... The story so far has been 100% linear and I don't think that's going to change. On the other hand though, this is probably the only way they could have supported the massive range of characters present in the game without sidelining anyone, and there is the sense that it is more strategic, though as the game starts quite easy, I'm not so sure if that's an illusion.

There's a slight level design issue too. Many of the battles are about "beating the boss". Often the boss is flanked by a dozen enemies, but you can just kill the boss. Of course, I'm concerned in the late-game that doing this will mean my characters will be to weak, having not gained enough XP on the way. Still, I'll see how that goes.

What the game does have in spades is charm. If you're a fan of the game series represented, then like me, you'll spend that much time laughing at some of the conversations between characters and chuckling at some of the moves. Some highlights in the first hour-and-a-half have included...

>> Getting lost on a cruise ship full of Zombies. Frank West runs into Bruno (from Sega's Die Hard Arcade and Dynamite Cop), and when in trouble, they get bailed out by Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine.

>> Fighting demons at a gateway to hell as Dante and Demitri from Darkstalkers, along with a Valkyrie from an obscure Namco RPG. Of course, Arthur from Ghouls & Ghosts shows up.

>> Xiaoyu from Tekken meeting Pai Chan and Akira from Virtua Fighter as they chase Dural who is working for Shadoloo with Juri who's trying to get away from Ryu and Ken (you get the idea)

There have been other cameos and characters popping up, but I'll stop now as I wouldn't want to spoil too many.

However, this approach to the game has also brought a problem, that of localisation. I'm really happy that the game has made its way west, as I honestly thought they wouldn't do it. The problem though are the number of characters who people won't be familiar with, and this can put a downer on things when the dialogue refers to places/events that the player simply doesn't know. It makes you a little resentful at times that these games never got a western release. For example, the Endless Frontier and Namco X Capcom characters show up - whereas the EF characters talk about events from the untranslated EXCEED sequel, and NxC never got a UK release. The Shining Force EXA crew show up, no idea who they are - as well as a fair bit of focus on two characters from Gods Eater Burst (though on inspection it just seems I missed out on that one). Fortunately though, the game has an inbuilt "Crosspedia" that tells you what series each character is from.

This shouldn't put you off though. The range of characters from Sega, Capcom and Bandai will keep any fan happy (there are even some real obscurities that as a massive Sega fanboy I still had to look up).

Visually, it's great. It's not the best demo of the 3DS's 3D, but the sprite artwork is wonderful and the character portraits are top-notch (even if some of them have been exaggerated to the point where they're starting to look ridiculous proportion-wise - Morrigan is the culprit here :lol:) but it's great to see old favourites animated in this way. The artwork is consistent throughout the entire game giving a great sense of polish. Even the music is well-done. Little touches like Akira Yuki's music from Virtua Fighter 2 pop up when he fights, for example.

So I know everyone's enraptured with Fire Emblem right now, but if you fancy something quintessentially Japanese, and you're a fan of these games and characters, I'd definitely recommend checking it out.