rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Asura

Questions thread - anything and everything

I'm mainly using on them in games my lad plays and will likely keep it just for that. It's better than them being covered in jam, snot, dribble or whatever animal shit he's had his hands in on any given day.

I won't bother with the stuff us adults play without him, I don't think.

Enjoying Drizzt, but a couple of questions about the D&D modular system:

1) Bruenor has a Utility card that can be stacked with 3 'power strike' tokens, used for different attacks. As you can't use all 3 in one round, does this mean you don't flip the card after the end of the round? Does it just stay in play until used-up? Otherwise it seems pointless.

2) Similar to the first, what is the point of a stance token? I thought it'd be that you couldn't have that 'perk' on more than one item at a time, but surely you can't anyway as you can only have one card in play at a time? Which leads me to...

3) ...can't you have two cards in play, e.g. a Utility that lasts a while like the example in question 1, plus maybe an At-Will card? That'd seem to make more sense, as one is attacking and the other defensive, and make the Stance token more useful and logical.

EDIT: in case anyone wonders, I've made a house rule (although I expect it's the general rule and I just don't understand it properly in the instructions ;) ) where the Utility card remains in-play until its condition is met, or the card otherwise exhausted. During this time, any offensive card (i.e. At-Will or Daily) can be used alongside the utility. I've tested it and it doesn't unbalance things.

Good day peoples...Which Fluxx would you recommend? It's for a gift and as far as I know they've not got a real affection for any of the themes - I'd assume Monty Python is better if you're a fan and I'll dismiss Cthulhu for similar reasons. I'm leaning towards simple* standard Fluxx itself, but if anyone has any suggestions...

*lol

Dungeon Run:

After being knocked our, does a character revive with full HP? It reads like they do, but that sounds rubbish so I'm not sure why that'd be the case (essentially turning any battle with someone/thing into a war of attrition).

Ah no, that's awesome - thank you. Fancy not putting that in the rulebook. Still, lame. Must just end with a comedy chase around the board trying to hit a dragon boss that knocks you out every round.

Monty Python is thematically awesome, because there's all sorts of nonsense like drawing extra cards if you can maintain an outrageous accent, so I'd say that. Regular Fluxx is fine, though.

Fair enough, ta. I will try and come up with a way of asking if she enjoys the works of Messers Cleese, Palin et al.

Does anyone know anywhere that sells paper-thin after-dinner mints?

I don't suppose you've played Eco Fluxx have you? That's probably the most relevant for her, but it also sounds like the most boring...

She's not much of a popular culture geek, which they're all sort of aiming at. If there was politics or particle physics or something.

Martian might not be a bad shout.

IT'S OK. I hadn't noticed there was a Pirates one, she's a big Monkey Island fan (to the point that she's in on the Doublefine Adventure kickstarter. See, she is ace.).

PHEW.

Hello! I've been thinking about getting my nephew a board game for Xmas (he's six) and thought that 'Crossbows & Catapults' would be a good one as I remember it from when I was young and used to love it. Has anyone here got one they'd be willing to sell? Would rather buy from the forum than eBay.

Can anyone recommend a city building game that resembles Sim City in design? I'm sure I saw one once...

It'd be for the family to play, so needs to support up to 6 people, ideally.

Urban Sprawl reminded me of Sim City a great deal but it's 4 player max and too complicated to be classed as a family game! Sunrise City? though that may be 4 player too.

Forgot to say thanks for that: thanks!

New quezzie - are there any generic models/minis you can get of things like warriors, elves, dwarves, archers, monsters etc. etc. that are pre-painted and don't cost an arm and a leg? Would be great to replace some of my Drizzt stuff with more detailed models for the more generic characters.

Yeah... I've looked at online places like Golem Painting Studio and even tiny minis cost £3.50 minimum, rising to £20 - £30 for large models (like Errtu, I guess) so it's a massive cost from them, even if I limited painting to the key characters.

I have one mate who paints, but he's always busy on his own projects and simply doesn't have time :(

I'd do it but im so painfully slow it would take me forever to do!

some of the monsters could be done quickly though. hmmm.

:)

Try the Dungeon Command packs - the minis in there are compatible with Drizzt.

Cheers, although at £30 per pack, and the pack only having 12 minis, it's a bit steep. I was thinking more generic - the equivalent of Heroclix or whatever? EDIT: actually, I didn't realise you can use the Dungeon Command stuff in the modular game, so that's a more tempting prospect now...

I've been trading a lot of board games in recent times (mainly over at boardgamegeek, but occasionally here too).

However, I'm sure I'm getting shafted on postage costs. What's the best method of sending your average board game by post, without having to pay through the nose for it?

More specific details:

My last package was about 1.5kg and this seems to be about the standard for games I'm sending out. Sending things by express delivery is not necessarily a priority.