Crysis 3 - With New Hat!

Harsin

Super late to the party, just started playing this a few days ago.

Anyway, what a joke! I actually thought Crysis 2 was pretty good in parts, but this makes that look like a masterpiece. You can walk through the whole game firing bullets in the very general direction of badmens who fall down dead. Health low? Press Q! Too many badmens? Press E! There's some terrible design too, lots of copy-pasted rooms and barely disguised corridors and invisible walls. Every obstacle can be overcome very simply, you can stand in front of the turrets holding down fire until they blow up, you can walk through mines without dying. Enemies just jigger around in front of you waiting to be killed. It's a total mockery of the first Crysis! I've just got to the nighttime bit where Ceph suddenly appear and stand in front of you waiting for you to fire in their general direction. It's clearly designed to be played on a controller by half-interested simpletons who just want a crosshair to take up half the screen while they whoop and holler and hold down the fire button. Rubbish :(

Re combat bowls movement is one of the things that Crysis 2 nails or at least does very well I think - running, grabbing, jumping and that DELIGHTFUL slide mean it's probably the top of the tier for FPSs in that regard, better than Halo even.

The Ceph are great, reasonable formidably and tough. Conceptually they're brilliant - squid-like creatures in metal robot frames - they have some great design and visually are very sci-fi. They do have their foibles, taken as a whole they get repetitive (the game could have done with 1 more type), and perhaps they could have done with a couple more attack patterns but they're generally interesting enemies, again in a way i'm not sure i've seen since Halo with the covenant. They feel like a threat. I mean yeah they're not perfect but they're wildly superior fodder to most of the stuff i've been gunning down for the last ten years and really the joy is in how you tackle them in a given situation as opposed to them always having novel behaviours or whatever.

I remember a really tough bit near the end where I had to defeat a whole load of them around a point I *had* to reach, including two or three heavies, it took me a number of goes and in the end I had to employ a bit of initial stealth (utilising the multilayed environments to make a hidden approacj) taking a whole bunch out around the perimeter using a combination of cloak/hiding/jumping, planting remotely detonated C4, letting off barrages of automatic fire and running to (whilst maintaing cover from their withering fire) a mined fall back position from where i doled out sniper fire, rockets and grenades and many rounds. It was thrilling stuff. It felt like a battle, a real scrappy skirmish, not something that was over in seconds but had me moving around behind my cover pumping out rounds and watching for the very aggressive flanking and pushing foward. The game has some really amazing combat in it.

The game has loads of great weapons and options for customising which do make a difference I feel.

All these elements weaving together create something quite special I think. I was playing on hard though and I do feel that this, like Legendary in Halo, really add a magic and powerful ingredient X to everything that really gets all those mechanics balanced and singing in tune.

Great post. I thoroughly enjoyed Crysis 2 and love going back to it as the combat still feels fresh and open ended. One of my favourite FPSs of the generation, that's for sure.

I never understood why they removed the cover system from 2 to 3, I really enjoy games that make an effort like C2, FC3, COJ BIB that make you feel more than an outstretched arm at all times. The way the guns wrap round the object and the different firing positions make it feel so much more organic.

• 4 months later...

Just started this on my new uber PC. Man it's a looker :wub:

This is bollocks from the hour I've played on hard:

You can walk through the whole game firing bullets in the very general direction of badmens who fall down dead. Health low? Press Q! Too many badmens? Press E! There's some terrible design too, lots of copy-pasted rooms and barely disguised corridors and invisible walls. Every obstacle can be overcome very simply, you can stand in front of the turrets holding down fire until they blow up, you can walk through mines without dying. Enemies just jigger around in front of you waiting to be killed. It's a total mockery of the first Crysis! I've just got to the nighttime bit where Ceph suddenly appear and stand in front of you waiting for you to fire in their general direction. It's clearly designed to be played on a controller by half-interested simpletons who just want a crosshair to take up half the screen while they whoop and holler and hold down the fire button. Rubbish :(

Mines kill me instantly. Badmans kill me instantly if I'm not careful. I turned the crosshair off IMMEDIATELY. Super atmospheric. I may turn the entire HUD off, actually. My only bugbear is the grass that isn't right next to you seems to animate at a low framerate. BUT I FOUND A CONFIG EDITOR. Tinkerer fo' life, yo.

• 2 months later...

I really suspect a lot of the problems with this lie in the difficulty so I'm going the game another go but this this time on the top two difficulty levels.

One thing though: I'm experiencing an odd bug. When I adjust brightness the screen does indeed brighten up, but after a 1-2 seconds it (the brightness of the screen, not the slider) resets to a dark level. Has anyone else experienced this?

I really suspect a lot of the problems with this lie in the difficulty so I'm going the game another go but this this time on the top two difficulty levels.

One thing though: I'm experiencing an odd bug. When I adjust brightness the screen does indeed brighten up, but after a 1-2 seconds it (the brightness of the screen, not the slider) resets to a dark level. Has anyone else experienced this?

Nope, perfectly fine to me.

• 4 months later...

So as a recent pc gaming conbert (ish) Just wodnering if this is worth it, played the first on 360 and lvoed it, playing the second on PC at the moment and finding it a bit dull. Does 3 harken back to the original at all?

• 1 year later...

The 360 version of this was on Games With Gold recently. Single player isn't great so far (especially not compared to PC Crysis 1, which I really ought to go back to one of these days), but I've been playing the multiplayer quite a lot.

But last night I looked at my stats and started seeing loads of discrepancies... like one screen would show that my total play time is 7hrs, others that it's only 1hr 15 total. Another screen said that I've only played less than 10 Team Deathmatch games, which definitely isn't right. Another that my time in Maximum Armour mode is only 1/10 the time I've spent in Cloak. Another screen says that my kills with the SCARAB (the default rifle which I've been using a lot) were relatively low, and the SCAR (the similar rifle that I haven't unlocked yet) were much higher - and yet I'm pretty sure I haven't picked up that many SCARs from downed enemies!

There have been lots of times when the game has tried to migrate to another host and failed, and even a few occasions when the game has appeared to finish successfully. but has booted me back to the lobby instead of going through the whole post-match sequence (replay highlights/XP awards/next match voting). Some stats not being saved could have been caused by that. Or perhaps the inaccuracies are related to the MyCrysis.com shutdown some time ago?

Whatever the cause, I was enjoying the multiplayer until I encountered this bug. If a multiplayer game isn't tracking your stats accurately, what's the point in playing it!? :hmm:

• 4 years later...

The Crysis twitter account has sprung back into life after three years of being dormant.

I'm only bumping this thread because 3 was the last game... but who knows what it could be. Brand new numbered title? Remake? New-gen console port of 1?

Spoiler

Switch port? :ph34r: 

I'd quite like a release of the first game on current get systems. I was thinking of picking the 360 versions up and replaying them via BC. I kinda remember they were awful compared to the PC though, I could barely play the first on ps3 for more than 10 mins the frame rate was so poor and gave me awful motion sickness.  

22 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Crysis 1 was great even on Xbox 360. Well, for the first two thirds.

Imho you can say that for the whole series. The Crysis series is brilliant for the first two thirds of the first game, it never recovered after that. Loved the sandboxy open approach to stealthy combat without handholding in that part. Helped in no small part by the setting. I've said it before, with a few tweaks it's like a good Predator game. Then the aliens appear and in subsequent games Crytek decides to go hard for dat console CoD crowd money by streamlining the shit out of it, drastically reducing possibly approaches, and clearly marking the ones that are left in your HUD ("GO TO THIS MARKER FOR STEALTH OR TO THAT MARKER FOR COMBAT") thus completely killing the immersion the first game had. 

:(

On 13/04/2020 at 21:41, Fry Crayola said:

I enjoyed both 2 and 3 but they never recaptured the true Predator feeling. As you say, too led by the hand. 

Wouldn't say no to a revival though.

The first one was a beauty, the sequels tried to get some of that COD money. If they make another game like the first one then it could be the best FPS of the decade because activision and ea are making the same game every year.