Shadowrun Returns - Jordan Weisman goes back to his roots via Kickstarter

b00dles

The return of Shadowrun, a sequel to the tabletop and then MegaDrive and SNES cyberpunk hacker RPG from the 90's. The license has been bought back by it's owner (Jordan Weisman - he of Mechwarrior and original maker of Shadowrun among others fame) and off the back of Schafer's successes, a Kickstarter project has been started for it;

http://www.kickstart...urns?ref=search

If you've not played the original, go and get zsnes or something and play it now.

Played it now? Good, innit?

Anyway, it's looking quite interesting, going to be isometric (as the original was) and have turn based combat "like Xcom" but more contextual - he seems to be a fan of the term, it's mentioned a few times - when you go into the combat. Will have "4 Dimensions" in it apparently in a similar vein to the SNES original with an ability to walk about in the cybernet like various 90's games as well as more normal pottering about in the real world (set in Seattle where it's originally based apparently) to find clues / speak to NPCs etc and I couldn't really tell what the other 2 dimensions would do, one of them to do with magic.

It's basically a bit like Blade Runner but with Orcs and what not, this is from the kickstarter page but actually makes it sound a bit too much like a teenage Games Workshop fans' wet dream; "The game world’s origin story mashes-up the dystopian Cyberpunk future of a Blade Runner with the high fantasy creatures and races of a Lords of the Rings in an organic way that produces iconic characters, environments, and situations." A bit wanky but kind of sums it up.

They're on $800,000 and if they get to the million before time is up (another 18 days) then they will also put in another city to run about in, which would be nice.

Anyway, I only found this while looking at an update for DoubleFine Adventure, even though it had been mentioned in the Wasteland 2 thread but after the absolute shitty mess that was the idea of making that Shadowrun team based FPS that came out a few years ago (which they actually apologise for in the launch video, so hats off) I never, ever thought I'd see the day that this might get made. So if you were a fan, give them a few quid and hopefully it will be good.

For completion, I have to mention that his devco are apparently now a maker of iOS games and "Tablet and PC" are listed as platforms for development, so there is some potential concerns it will be up-ported to PC and actually be made in some sort of painful touch-screen friendly way but I hope that it won't be designed for phones first.

That's why I thought it deserved it's own thread, the SNES game is bloody great, so even if they just made more of that, I'd be happy.

Admittedly there is also a slight concern that they're putting some of the money into making a good level editor thing but I can see the logic that this is what you would do in pen and paper days and if it takes off, you could be playing more Shadowrun for a lot longer after this comes out but still, there's a part of me that would rather they spent more money on the single player part and then did a level editor as a phase 2 or something but that's not how kickstarter works I suppose.

As I said, the mere fact that it's on the way was enough to make me pledge my $100, I'd rather forego buying some new (but the same) FPS or something for the thought of more Shadowrun. I might even play the original again... anyone know if there's a SNES emu that works on Android?

They are actually using the level designer to make the game, so I think it's just a nice bonus they are releasing it.

Shadowrun on the SNES is my favourite game of all time. Immaculate atmosphere and the music was phenomenal. Some of the scenes stay with me to this very day as some of my most memorable gaming moments - waking on the gurney at the start, meeting Dog in the allyway for the first time, going up against Drake who turns out to be a DRAGON!

I can't wait for this!

Even if the FPS was good (I've no idea, never played it as it pissed me off too much in the first place that it was an FPS) it totally and utterly missed the point of the whole thing.

Much like the hoo-hah when Xcom (the first announcement) was an FPS, it's just not cricket.

I'm replaying SNES Shadowrun on my phone at the moment (which is brilliant, I love tech these days, blows my mind that a phone, that I was playing Snake on in black & white not that long ago, now happily emulates the SNES - not to mention GTA III of course :) ) and it's brilliant how exploratory it is, I remember quite a bit of it but there's NOTHING to generally tell you what to do. Wake up in morgue and don't know who you are and what's going on, now go!

After recent GTA's (and various other things but I don't want to sound too much like Rubber Johnny ;) )having non-stop "missions" like "go here and drive a car" or "this is how you open a door" and "this is a shop" it's joyous to have no hand-holding. Dark Souls really is the closest to these old-skool games I've played of late.

Although the wake up with no memory is probably the most cliche story telling device ever, they could easily adapt and flesh out the concept for games these days. Did anyone ever play Bioforge? That was brilliant for the exploring the unknown and realising things as you went through, I thought it was a fantastic game, not least for the fact that quite near the start you could beat someone to death with their own severed arm, you don't see that every day.

Make sure you made it $115 for international shipping...

But I'm with you brother!

The only thing I'm slightly concerned about is that even if I only occasionally watch the odd update here and there, my own internal hype train might imagine this game to be some sort of second coming of wonderment and fantasticalness but when it finally turns up and it's *only* as good as the original I'll be disappointed. I might be better to try and forget about it completely and be surprised when it shows up in January next year.

January! :(

Although sooner than never :)

You can still amend your backing amount until it closes, I didn't have the international shipping added for my DoubleFine t-shirt as they only realised it a bit later that it would be necessary and I went back in and changed it. I paid using Amazon too.

You can still amend your backing amount until it closes, I didn't have the international shipping added for my DoubleFine t-shirt as they only realised it a bit later that it would be necessary and I went back in and changed it. I paid using Amazon too.

Thanks. Just edited it. Happy days :)

Please let them make some Battletech stuff. I own every novel they wrote

One of FASA's (and probably Weisman's) really early games which I think was called BattleMech on the Amiga iirc, was an absolute winner (although I initially found it a bit complicated in my younger days). I'd love them to remake something like that, it was a whole world exploring / upgrading your mechs type thingy.

I enjoyed the FPS jobbies too but that was just a bit richer due to having all of the storyline / upgrade exploration side of things, which was probably more similar to the tabletop games in that respect too. Although I never played any of those so I could be talking balls. It's quite a common occurrence.

One of FASA's (and probably Weisman's) really early games which I think was called BattleMech on the Amiga iirc, was an absolute winner (although I initially found it a bit complicated in my younger days). I'd love them to remake something like that, it was a whole world exploring / upgrading your mechs type thingy.

I enjoyed the FPS jobbies too but that was just a bit richer due to having all of the storyline / upgrade exploration side of things, which was probably more similar to the tabletop games in that respect too. Although I never played any of those so I could be talking balls. It's quite a common occurrence.

It's called The Crescent Hawk Inception. Love it. Great game.

The Medhwarrior games were brilliant too. Shame they never made more. Mechwarrior Online kicks off soon though.

http://mwomercs.com/

I'm a sucker for all things Battletech.

Shadowrun Kickstarter has passed 1 million dollars, and this is imo the most interesting bit of the latest update:

Apart from more content, as a special "thank you," if $1.5M is reached, backers will receive an exclusive quest line tying the SNES and Genesis Shadowrun games together.

Nice :D

Yeah I just saw the update this morning, I might have to up my bid, as with the new tier at $125 you get a boxed copy with various gubbins in it. Tempting.

Some people are moaning that this shouldn't be exclusive to backers only which I can partly understand but you could also argue that most of the people that will realistically care, will be backers of this anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Shadowrun on the SNES is my favourite game of all time. Immaculate atmosphere and the music was phenomenal.

Well have I got some good news for you!

There are only 4 days left in our Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter! 4 days!!!

The outpouring of support for this project has been phenomenal and we deeply appreciate all of your comments, suggestions, stories and encouragement.

One of the recurring themes in the stories we hear is how the music of the Sega and SNES Shadowrun games stays with you after all this time. Whenever we read your comments and whenever the team talks about it, the conversation always comes back to, “Wouldn’t it be cool if we could get the guys who wrote the original music?”

So we did.

Today, we’re incredibly excited to announce that Marshall Parker, who wrote the music for the Super Nintendo game and Sam Powell, who wrote the music for the Sega Genesis game, have agreed to COLLABORATE on the music for Shadowrun Returns.

Not only are we excited to have these two talented people working on the project, (we still can’t believe we got them!) we’re impressed by the spirit of cooperation they both expressed. Marshall and Sam really understand what we’re trying to do here and it was a pleasure to hear how happy they would be to work together to bring you the Shadowrun music your generous support deserves.

This game is going to be awesome, I just know it. Like dood said in the Risen 2 thread, is this the year of the RPG or what? :D

Oh hey, I missed this. Thought there was still a day to go.

Shadowrun was one of my favourite Snes games, so glad to see it hit every major milestone that would lead to something nice - pretty sure update 10 mentioned that 1.75 million would get something funky. A new class that I don't recall being in the Snes one.

I only just managed to resist the $125 'DRM free game on a Shadowrun branded USB' option but I'm in for the $100.

They got $1.8 million which is pretty good going I reckon.

Now just wait for January. :(

I totally cocked up my recent playthrough though, paid off the bloke (orc) in the caryards instead of killing him and it left me buggered for cash for ages, had to do a ludicrous amount of grinding to get my money up to buy shotgun, vest and all that. Still a good game though, although the conversation thing better get fixed in this new version as it's painful.