IGNORED

Dragon Age 3: Inquisition

JPR

Some useful links from davejm:

Some links that may be useful:-

http://kotaku.com/a-beginners-guide-to-all-things-dragon-age-1658487212

A Beginner's Guide To All Things Dragon Age. Lore, characters, races, religions, events from the games.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=931900

GAF lore guide

https://dragonagekeep.com/en_US/

Dragon Age Keep. Official Bioware site that lets you create a 'world state' for importing into Inquisition.

http://thedialoguewheel.wordpress.com/

The Keep isn't great for recapping the events surrounding each of the choices, so this helps with that.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/10/30/dragon-age-keep-your-guide-to-the-obscure-choices.aspx

More info on some of the more obscure choices from Dragon Age, to help with the Keep

E3 video, DA3 is coming to PC, XBox360, PS3, PS4 and XBox One.

Official site Blurb:

Explore a vast, fantasy world at the brink of catastrophe in Dragon Age: Inquisition, a next-generation action RPG, where your choices shape and drive the experience. In this upcoming video game from BioWare, makers of Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age: Origins, youll make your mark in an expansive, story-driven open world filled with complex characters, challenging combat and difficult decisions.

A cataclysmic event has plunged the land of Thedas into turmoil. Dragons now darken the sky, casting a shadow of terror over a once-peaceful kingdom. Mages have broken into an all-out war against the oppressive Templars. Nations rise against one another. It falls to you to restore order as you lead the Inquisition and hunt down the agents of chaos - your choices will forever change the Dragon Age.

dat1.jpg

Whilst it's still not been officially announced yet we know it's coming. They had a panel at PAX where they talked about some ideas which clearly aren't tied to any game they might be working on, wink. It certainly sounds promising and is worth a watch if DA2 hasn't completely killed off any interest you had in the series.

A few things from it, looks like they're going for variety, space and big areas and the art they show backs that up. No Kirkwall, instead anywhere urban would be more French, or in other words we're heading to Orlais this time.

Decisions that actually matter plus previous game imports. Sounds as if it will be more along the lines of Origins, you get choices that matter instead of just doing what Hawke did.

Will be able to customise followers equipment this time, but sounds more like a mixture of Origins and DA2. You'll be able to put new armour on them which will look different but you'll still be able to tell who is who, image below. Maybe colour and material customisation as well.

post-950-0-20488100-1334153832_thumb.jpg

Talk about supposing you have a Grey Warden (above pic) in your party, which to me would suggest we'll be back in control of a Grey Warden, can't drop that then just say it's a simple party member surely. Also a Seeker in the party, who does look like Cassandra from DA2, Seekers also fit in with Orlais as they're from Val Royeaux, so maybe a suggestion at something to do with the story.

The thread in question.

They certainly seem to be saying the right things at the moment and it would point to DA3 being more of a return to Origins which would be great. Still past shows what BioWare say and do don't always match up, so I'm very cautious over this. I had sworn off it after DA2 but mildly optimistic now, or just blindly hopeful either way I'll be following it with fingers crossed.

You've got to admit it's pretty funny for an RPG company to give a presentation promising some basic RPG functionality in their next RPG (I just typed out RPG so many times it sounds funny in my head now). It's a bit like if Namco had to get on stage promise that their next Pac-Man game would have power pills and some ghosts in it, for honest guv.

As a PS3 owner, I prefered DA2 over DA1 because the port of DA1 is a disaster. About DA2, the execution was all wrong. It had interesting parts (I can not remember the name of the guy/faction but you know... the shipwrecked one) but overall it was a snorefest. I hope they can get it right with DA3.

Conspicuously absent is a slide about one of the main complaints: the abandonment of its tactical combat by turning it into another action game. Considering the other rumours have been that it's got multiplayer and uses Frostbite, I'm predicting ME3 with swords.

Bioware :facepalm: Should we give up on trad RPGs in the retail space and just look to Kickstarter? Or as we've got a tactical and non-action X-com, might we see a similar thing for one of these?

I'd be happy enough with the combat from 2 mixed with the epic story of 1

Also the character mix in 2 was really off, they seemed determined to...

kill all of my sodding healers, first Bethany, then Anders at the end game. I actually forked out for the DLC and then realised that I had no bloody healer left to play it with, as I'd executed Anders for being a complete Dick in the final act

Conspicuously absent is a slide about one of the main complaints: the abandonment of its tactical combat by turning it into another action game. Considering the other rumours have been that it's got multiplayer and uses Frostbite, I'm predicting ME3 with swords.

Bioware :facepalm: Should we give up on trad RPGs in the retail space and just look to Kickstarter? Or as we've got a tactical and non-action X-com, might we see a similar thing for one of these?

I thought the combat was pretty fun if you played on the top difficulty setting: basically a mix of crowd control, choke points and hitting as many cross-class combos as possible. I went back to #1 after playing #2 and the combat felt leaden for warrior classes and horribly unbalanced for mages (crushing prison being horribly overpowered). Not that #2 didn't have it's share of ridiculous difficulty spikes mind.

I'm playing Kingdoms of Amalur at the moment. The combat in that is pretty nice, unfortunately the story and NPCs are complete bobbins and so generically boring it hurts. I'd love to see that game's combat married to a decent Bioware story and characters where you feel you're really shaping the story (so like Dragon Age: Origins and not Dragon Age 2).

“It’s not even in any way like the traditional game endings, where you can say how many endings there are or whether you got ending A, B, or C…..The endings have a lot more sophistication and variety in them.” -Casey Hudson, director

“[The presence of the Rachni] has huge consequences in Mass Effect 3. Even just in the final battle with the Reapers.” -Mac Walters, lead writer

I'm sorry to bang on the same drum, but I'm really not interested in what Bioware keep promising. Plus DA2 was crap.

The series was created to do old style strategic combat though, that's just not something you can replicate with action combat in the same way you can't replicate an SRPG. It's not about one being superior or inferior, they just have different strengths and appeal. As you note, there's plenty of action fantasy gubbins games already, why not play one of those?

I'm determined to fight the forces of homogenity. People who want retail to be nothing but blockbuster action games and sports sims (and then want everything - handhelds and mobile to be the same as retail) baffle me.

Not just Kickstarter (although that is indeed turning out pretty awesome) but also indie devs in general - just look at Legend of Grimrock and Age of Decadence for example. Or a F2P game like Path of Exile which apparently (judging from their respective betas) manages to out-Diablo Diablo 3 in terms of RPG mechanics and character building. For big budget retail games, yeah it's seems like they're all desperate to go the Mass Effect/Skyrim route. Which isn't bad in itself, just that it would be nice to have some traditional RPG's too.

I loved DA and actually I don't particularly mind the second one, but by god if they don't get the visuals up to ME levels I'll cry. I got used to Dragon Age but it certainly wasn't a great looker...actually, some of the backgrounds were nice, but characters were awful.

Personally I liked where DA2 took combat for the most part, but then it undermined things by having enemies randomly stream in during combat. I much prefer knowing what I'm going to face before initiating a fight as it rewards good use of traps and crowd control, whereas with Dragon Age 2 I found such plans were often undone by new enemies jumping in from nowhere. I suppose you could argue it made combat more reactive, but I found it easier to more or less forget strategy and just nuke everything as it appeared.

• 6 months later...

BioWare where at the Edmonton Expo where they've given some new info and released some concept art. Concept art looks interesting at least, not that it's hard but already looks like more effort on the environments than in DA2. Still remain very cautiously optimistic about it.

DA3_Concept_2.jpg

DA3_Concept_3.jpg

DA3_Concept_1.jpg

"Cameron Lee @BioWare ‏@Cameron__Lee

John Perry said he's had a longer pre-production on DA3 than any other BioWare project he's worked on. "

"Cameron Lee @BioWare ‏@Cameron__Lee

JP said just one level in #DA3 is as big as all of DA2's levels "

Cameron Lee @BioWare ‏@Cameron__Lee

Haha Mike "here's a castle... And you *cough*... may or may not take control of it" pic.twitter.com/PvWXY2fa

Mike: customization is going to be bigger than Dragon age origins. Follower customization etc. #DA3

Question: how much control will you have over your character... Mike "you will be human" #DA3

David answering "backgrounds will be in DA3 even though you will be human, it's not playable but it does significant impact on the story"

Mike Laidlaw ‏@Mike_Laidlaw

Sorry, for those who love elves and dwarves, but long term I’d like to see all four races playable. Future plans!

• 7 months later...

New trailer which features Morrigan and Varic, release is next year. It's set takes place in “a vast open world” which should solve one of the main problems of DA2.

Coming to PC, XBox360, PS3, PS4 and XBox One.

Explore a vast, fantasy world at the brink of catastrophe in Dragon Age™: Inquisition, a next-generation action RPG, where your choices shape and drive the experience. In this upcoming video game from BioWare, makers of Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age: Origins, you’ll make your mark in an expansive, story-driven open world filled with complex characters, challenging combat and difficult decisions.

A cataclysmic event has plunged the land of Thedas into turmoil. Dragons now darken the sky, casting a shadow of terror over a once-peaceful kingdom. Mages have broken into an all-out war against the oppressive Templars. Nations rise against one another. It falls to you to restore order as you lead the Inquisition and hunt down the agents of chaos - your choices will forever change the Dragon Age.

Explore a vast, fantasy world at the brink of catastrophe in Dragon Age™: Inquisition, a next-generation action RPG

Boom, called it.

Surely people must acknowledge all my complaints about homogeneity have been proven correct now - even the next FF is an action game.

Boom, called it.

Surely people much acknowledge all my complaints about homogeneity have been proven correct now - even the next FF is an action game.

God I missed the all important word before 'RPG' in the blurb- even further away from the excellent original game then. To think that BioWare spent so many years coming up with the Dragon Age universe only for it to end up like this.

Pointless trailer I thought. Compare it to the trailer for The Witcher 3 and the difference is night and day. I thought I was done with fantasy (Dark Souls II aside) and I want Cyberpunk more, but damn, that was one hell of a trailer and the new info in the latest issue of Edge is so damn promising. This on the other hand, doesn't even exist as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, I'm a huge Dragon Age fan and was eagerly awaiting DA3... Not so much now. It looked a lot worse than I expected, and I don't just mean technically - everyone looks plastic and I hope to god it's just CGI or something and isn't representative of in game gameplay.

Morrigan looks terrible :(

morrigan.jpg

Morrigan really does look odd.

I thought this still had potential, they've been saying the right things since DA2, though that's easy to do and Frostbite should give them the tools to create a beautiful world. Not much confidence they'll do it though, I can see it just continuing down the action/ME route they started with on DA2.

Still can't give up all hope, all they need to do is say isometric but I'm prepared this time. No great expectations and need to be convinced to buy it in the first place, DA2 got the benefit of the doubt but not this.

• 1 month later...

Well, the first did well and many bought the second base on the goodwill it had generated, so I assume it didn't flop. I'd be curious to see how the sales breakdown for 2 went, though, considering that they went all-in to draw the console crowd - I imagine the success of that move will have had a large impact on how they've focussed the development of this entry in the series.

And yes, that does basically mean I'm hoping that Dragon Age 2 was a massive flop on the consoles.

Edit: as far as I can tell, Dragon Age 2 sold a lot more in the first week than Dragon Age: Origins, but tailed off far faster as well. It looks like Origins may well have outsold it, in fact (which probably explains why Origins got a bunch of expansions released for a good while after release, while Dragon Age 2's DLC dried up quicksharp. Also, looking this up reminded me that Dragon Age: Origins was released on my birthday, which obviously meant it had to be great.