Pokémon Black & White: version 2

The first real details on what will probably be the last relevant NDS title are in!

img_262611_pokemon-black-white-version-2-teaser-trailer-hd.jpg

Pokémon Black & White version 2 (or shorter: Pokémon Black & White 2) may have a number in the title rather than a new set of colours, but it looks like the game is all new, with a completely new cast of characters, a new location, and a (partially?) new set of critters.

Obviously there's a new male and female lead character. As with Black & White, you can select between male and female characters. Both have a sporty look. The female lead seems to have Princess Leia hair bunches.

Joining the two new leads are (of course) a new set of friends. Introducing "Rival" (prel. name), the main character's childhood friend. Also introduced is Akuroma, a mysterious man who appears to be a researcher who's conducting research into the strengths of Pokémon.

So far, only two gym leaders have been mentioned: Homika and Shizui. Homika is good with poison type Pokémon, and seems to love playing the guitar. Shizui is good with water types.

The game also has a new location. While it's still set in Unova Region, you start off from the new town of Hiougi City, which is located in the South of Unova. Facilities introduced include your house, a viewing area that offers full views of the city, and a Pokémon Center and trainer's school. You can also expect to see some new facilities.

The new Unova Pokédex will contain a combination of familiar Pokémon (there's been a confirmation of Psyduck, Riolu, Tirantar, Lapras, Arcanine and Metagross) and Unova Pokémon. Seems like a "best of" Pokédex to me

It doesn't look like every aspect will be reborn innovatively, but then again who was expecting this. Hopefully it'll be more than a DLC for Pokémon Black & White though. Still, this'll be the final NDS Pokémon game, before the inevitable announcement of a true 3DS sequel featuring fully animated 3D Pokémon, Street Pass fuctionality and AR support. In my dreams...

The game's supposed to hit Europe in November 2012.

Very first magazine scans:

corocoro4121big.jpg

corocoro4122big.jpg

corocoro4124big.jpg

English teaser trailer:

I've been off the Pokemon train since not finishing Sapphire, but I was considering getting a copy of White recently & getting back into it after hearing how a lot of its more fustrating & archaic aspects have been smoothed out. I guess I should wait for this now though.

By far my most wanted feature is a return of 6 v 6 flat battles. (Or just more battle options in general).

The current system is awful, it basically requires you to use AR if you want to have a proper battle because taking pokes into a free battle against someone means they are all whatever level you've managed to train them to in game. I tend to get all my battle pokes to 50 (usually you need to for final forms/moves), but there are always a few that need to go a bit higher and it becomes a real drag first of all training everything to be the same high level but then also finding someone to agree to match that level.

I just want to go online and have a good 6 v 6 with the pokemon I bred and trained :( Why does Nintendo want me to AR or use an emulator so badly?

Why, you can still play it on both systems and I think much of it's target audience won't have upgraded yet. While I've enjoyed the Black and White versions Soul Silver and Heart Gold are still the best Pokemon games available.

You're right you can play it on both systems, but i didn't pay over £100 for a new system for them not to release main series games on it. You're certainly right about SS/HG being the best, great games.

All I'd like is a realistic chance to be able to collect all of the Pokemon. But I guess that's too much to ask for from a Pokemon game! I've still never had a Mew. :(

It was a Mewtwo that was given away a short while ago - the last time Mew was given out was late 2010. I have a spare Mew you can have if you have your DS connected to the internet, Tony :)

I really liked Silver. I had my own Pokemon adventure with me & my super-well-trained team headed by Furret going all the way to the top of the League! I never felt the same way in Sapphire though. The new Pokemon didn't seem as interesting & I didn't care about the contests, so I got burned out halfway through another slog through a cave. I hear from many sources that the basic core of the Pokemon games is still exactly the same, but I think sufficient time has passed for me to be interested in starting a new journey.

Imagine being a youth in 1999, getting all hyped up by the internet, the cartoons and the pre-launch merchandise, only to rush out to the shops on release day, buying the game, slamming it in your Game Boy color, and then bitterly realizing it's in fact a 3-year old monochrome Game Boy game with barely any animation at all.

That was part of the appeal. ;)

I first played Pokémon Blue in 1998, a grey import copy bought at my local Game(!). I had already heard of "Pocket Monsters" courtesy of N64 Magazine a year or so earlier, or rather that it existed as a very popular game in Japan that was unlikely to reach the west, but it, err, had. Did. Before we had mainstream retrogaming, and thousands of 2D games instantly downloadable on our smartphones, it felt terribly refreshing to play a game that looked like it belonged in a previous era, relying on stripped-down graphics and compulsive gameplay rather than trying to impress by pushing textured polygons about. I ended up playing Blue concurrently with the newly-released Ocarina of Time, and enjoyed them as equally as each other, for different reasons.

(Have to admit I haven't played any Pokémon since Silver on the Game Boy Color, however. Got a bit complicated for me, with the day-night cycle and lots more monsters, so I couldn't allot enough of my brain energy and attention at the time to the game. Shame really; I'm sure that I would've enjoyed it had I gotten into the swing of around round of monster-catching journeys.)

Ok, normally I don't care too much about negs - most times I understand why I got them. But why did I get negged 4 times for an account of how I felt when buying Pokémon Blue ?! That's mind boggling to say the least. I didn't know there were pre-teens on this forum. Ah, if only I could find out who did this, 'cause I'm a bit miffed about it. Negging a guy for recounting something as innocent as that? Come on!

:facepalm:

First off, stop thinking that red or green number actually means anything. A neg *usually* means "I disagree with the comments raised in this post, but I can't be arsed to articulate why.".

Simply put, you, as a child, were an idiot. You were crushed because the game you picked up pretty much looked like all of the other games you had before? You expected the game to look like the anime series? You see, it's children who were idiots like you used to be, who have made it so that now adverts have to constantly say that a CG is not representative of gameplay.

The game you're playing now, is pretty much the same game we were playing back then. With badly animated sprites attacking each other in a slow turn based battle. It's the same game at the moment.

I said it before in the original black and white thread, the reason this game exists, is so that they can have another 2 years to get the 3DS version ready. Which is understandable really. Due to the system, the expectations of what the 3DS pokemon game will be, are a lot to live up to. It's time for the battles on the handheld version to look like the console "Colosseum" counterparts. Which is no small feat.

Back to B&W2, I'm surprised that so much looks different now. I really was expecting them to shit out another "Yellow/Crystal/Emerald/Diamond" version, but it looks like it might be a whole new cast and story for once. But I'll reserve judgement for when I see more of it.

First off, stop thinking that red or green number actually means anything. A neg *usually* means "I disagree with the comments raised in this post, but I can't be arsed to articulate why.".

Simply put, you, as a child, were an idiot. You were crushed because the game you picked up pretty much looked like all of the other games you had before? You expected the game to look like the anime series? You see, it's children who were idiots like you used to be, who have made it so that now adverts have to constantly say that a CG is not representative of gameplay.

Christ. I hope you're not being serious here...

What also put me off, is the fact that I started this thread, gathered info on the game, posted pictures and videos, and all I got for my efforts are negs?! Sorry, but that's a bit overboard imo.

More details:

- Tepig, Snivy, Oshawott will again be offered as starting Pokemon

- New animations for the Pokemon (yay!)

- Hiougi City is much larger than previous starting areas

- Unity Tower shown

- Route 4 is now lined with building reminiscent of a mining town in architecture

- New gateway building between Route 4 and Nimbasa City

- Entralink is completely different, including no moat, Entree seems to be a waterfall of some sort, no Entralink bridge (though it still exists above the rivers)

- Driftveil City is very different, lighthouse does not exist, two “craters” exist, shipping docks are less developed

- New city directly south of Driftveil City, another new city west and slightly south of that, and then Hiougi City southwest of that.

- Challenger’s Cave no longer exists

- Poké Transfer Lab carefully covered with ice

- New area due north of Poké Transfer Lab

- Castelia City, Anville Town, and Opelucid City seem to be identical to before

- Ice is used to cover up parts of the region

I just wish they'd get rid of the whole IV gameplay mechanics. It totally ruins it.

I'd disagree, IV's only really matter to those who actually know what they are. If you know what they are, then you've willingly entered the rabbit hole to start min-maxing. I think it's superb that there's a hidden "hardcore" stat twiddling and harmonising between your own pokemon for a really competitive community to blossom.

Leave them in!

Once you start caring about IVs, and particularly EVs, you can basically wave goodbye to anything resembling a casual appreciation of the game and look forward to a life of cycling up and down the longest routes attempting to hatch the perfect egg. Annoyingly, this is a lot more enjoyable than it should be. Competitive battling should be renamed as "Hyper-competitive battling", because those who get into it are juggling a phenomenal amount of information.

I second Frosty in wanting more battle options. Although, I am pretty sure it auto-levels your Pokes to 50 or 100, doesn't it? I know that the last time I had a local battle against a University friend it did, but this was in Diamond/Pearl. (Oh, and clauses can kiss my hairy arse.)

It was a Mewtwo that was given away a short while ago - the last time Mew was given out was late 2010. I have a spare Mew you can have if you have your DS connected to the internet, Tony :)

Thanks for the generous offer I can then finally complete the original set of 151! Let me know the most convenient way of trading it for you.

Complaining about a male's haircut in a Japanese video game is, like, the most pointless thing ever. It's like complaining about funny accents in Schwarzenegger films.

But the Pokemon trainer hairstyles have never looked this ridiculous. Don't understand what they're going for, cool and edgy? The original black and white trainers were great (partly due to being a little older from past generations) but this...

I hope Professor Oak has a new hairstyle, too.

Once you start caring about IVs, and particularly EVs, you can basically wave goodbye to anything resembling a casual appreciation of the game and look forward to a life of cycling up and down the longest routes attempting to hatch the perfect egg. Annoyingly, this is a lot more enjoyable than it should be. Competitive battling should be renamed as "Hyper-competitive battling", because those who get into it are juggling a phenomenal amount of information.

I second Frosty in wanting more battle options. Although, I am pretty sure it auto-levels your Pokes to 50 or 100, doesn't it? I know that the last time I had a local battle against a University friend it did, but this was in Diamond/Pearl. (Oh, and clauses can kiss my hairy arse.)

Maybe in local matches, but online you can only auto-level in 3 v 3. Which is ok, but makes a lot of strategies and moves a lot less effective.