100 Games to play before you die

Say you wanted to make a list of 100 board games and you wanted to make it accessible to newcomers as well as something that stalwarts would enjoy how would you catagorise it. More importantly what games would you choose?

Don't phrase it as "best" Do.... "100 games to play before you die" or something, Board/card/other games are to broad to pick out right bestest ones. Then I'd say divide it up into 10 different sections and do like "10 classic games" "10 Card games" Rubbish suggestions I know but you get the idea.

I prefer lists like that as the stalwart type gamers can see new things that they might not have played without going "This guy didn't pick game X!" or OMG X isn't better than Y" and the sub dividing helps new people not be as intimidated.

*edit*

Yeah Categories like that :)

I wouldn't put strategy as a category, as most games involve it to a lesser or greater extent so there's a lot of overlap there with all the others. Maybe Wargames rather than strategy? (Twilight Struggle, Memoir 44 etc...). Maybe split by theme rather than genre? Fantasy, Modern, Sci Fi etc.. Or get 10 people with interests in different games (and different board game experience) and get them to list their top 10's?

No you're not being a prick, I'm purposely being obscure and not explaining myself very well. I'm aiming to compile 100 games and are looking for suitable suggestions for choices and categories. I'm not suggesting you tell me your top 100. We're not all Tom vassal.

It's got to be said, the top 100 from BGG isn't going to be a million miles off.

Also, I haven't played 100 board games. Off the top of my head I think I've played maybe 40. Sorry if I sound like a prick.

Unless you're planning on dying in the next week or so, that isn't a massive problem.

It's got to be said, the top 100 from BGG isn't going to be a million miles off.

It is because it's primarily for a hardcore audience, which isn't what I'm aiming for with this project.

For example if you wanted to introduce casual gamers to board games, you'd probably scare them off immediately if you introduced them to any of the games in the top 10. Probably the top 20 for that matter.

The focus of this list is to introduce new gamers to the hobby, while having enough relevant content to make it desirable for current gamers. I know I'm not being all too helpful at the moment, but it's potentially for something really cool.

Also I may be overstretching with 100. 50 might be more manageable…

From my experience, I'd introduce newcomers to:

• Dixit
  • Carcassonne
  • Zooloretto
  • Forbidden Island

Then progress to:

• Small World
  • Ticket to Ride
  • Elder Sign
  • Quarriors

Finishing with:

• Puerto Rico
  • Sid Meier's Civilization
  • Arkham Horror

It is because it's primarily for a hardcore audience, which isn't what I'm aiming for with this project.

For example if you wanted to introduce casual gamers to board games, you'd probably scare them off immediately if you introduced them to any of the games in the top 10. Probably the top 20 for that matter.

The focus of this list is to introduce new gamers to the hobby, while having enough relevant content to make it desirable for current gamers. I know I'm not being all too helpful at the moment, but it's potentially for something really cool.

Also I may be overstretching with 100. 50 might be more manageable…

Like Xib said, you've got to hope by the time they've done the first 75 they'd be able to cope with more or less anything a boardgame designer can throw at them. If you're limiting it to just simplistic-stuff you'll have some right dross creeping in by the time you hit 50 otherwise.

And by boardgames do you mean, specifically, boardgames or just stuff that could appear on BGG? Are Quarriors, Dominion, Fluxx etc. allowed in?

OK, I think I get where you're aiming now then, but I think you're going to have to add some rougher ones in towards the end. Off the top of my head:

Dominion

Fluxx

Quarriors

Backgammon

Go

Hanafuda-Koi Koi

Roll Through The Ages

Montego Bay

Khet

And if you're allowing knowledge ones:

Scrabble

Bezzerwizzer

Articulate

Pass the Bomb

I'm going through a bit of an upheaval when it comes to my taste in games lately. As you all know, I love Arkham and it'll always be my first love. I've become very fascinated with Euro games lately though and I'm trying to explore them as much as possible. If I'm married to Arkham, then Puerto Rico's my sin-ridden mistress who I'll visit with at every chance I can. So smitten am I with her brand of filth, that I've ordered Agricola to see if I can further indulge my need for hot, sweaty trading-in-the-Mediterranean lust.

In short, I've become obsessed with game mechanics over theme lately. This has put my confidence in my ability to recommend games into a state of flux. I'll happily list any changes though!

I'm going through a bit of an upheaval when it comes to my taste in games lately. As you all know, I love Arkham and it'll always be my first love. I've become very fascinated with Euro games lately though and I'm trying to explore them as much as possible. If I'm married to Arkham, then Puerto Rico's my sin-ridden mistress who I'll visit with at every chance I can. So smitten am I with her brand of filth, that I've ordered Agricola to see if I can further indulge my need for hot, sweaty trading-in-the-Mediterranean lust.

In short, I've become obsessed with game mechanics over theme lately. This has put my confidence in my ability to recommend games into a state of flux. I'll happily list any changes though!

Keep an eye on The Works in case they get stuff back in. I've still not played half of them and I've definitely got my money's worth, there's only been one I've genuinely disliked and I'll give that another go sometime.

EDIT: They actually have a few at the moment:

http://www.theworks.co.uk/Toys--Games/Strategy/

Keep an eye on The Works in case they get stuff back in. I've still not played half of them and I've definitely got my money's worth, there's only been one I've genuinely disliked and I'll give that another go sometime.

EDIT: They actually have a few at the moment:

http://www.theworks....Games/Strategy/

Which do you have that you would recommend? My local branch has a few of them in.

Which do you have that you would recommend? My local branch has a few of them in.

Montego Bay is great, really simple and good fun, something that more or less anyone can play too. Maori is a lovely quick game, collecting bits of islands to make point scoring islands on your card, definitely recommend that too. Oregon is Carc with a coordinate grid system, essentially. It doesn't work quite perfectly, but it really forces you to pounce on opportunities - some games that's a pain, others it works and it's obvious why they set it up like that - I'd recommend it, I think. Aqua Romana is just Pipes with a grid system, which I quite like but I'm not sure I'd heartily recommend. Ponte del Diavlo is fine, but it's massively abstracted and very strategy heavy/open ended, so I don't think I'll ever play it enough to really get into it. Amytis I just didn't get on with at all, almost as messy as Arkham Horror but without much fun to keep it going, but I am going to try it again because I feel I must have been missing something.

I think I've got another 5 left to play, but of them Caylus Magna Carta and Notre Dame are both meant to be pretty good. I'll get through the pile at some point...

But honestly, if you're taking an interest in the rules you'll find bits in all of them, you'll not make much of a loss selling anything you hate.

Maori is a lovely quick game, collecting bits of islands to make point scoring islands on your card, definitely recommend that too.

I've played Maori and thought it was extremely average, but then i'm not really much of a fan of the more abstract euros that make up the bulk of the Works games. At least I think that's what you'd class them as?

I've played Maori and thought it was extremely average, but then i'm not really much of a fan of the more abstract euros that make up the bulk of the Works games. At least I think that's what you'd class them as?

Aye, if that's where you're coming from that's fair enough, I doubt it's hiding anything you've missed. But for a filler kind of game, I do like Maori. It takes about a minute to explain to someone who knows games and it's all done in 30 minutes, probably a bit longer with more players. I wouldn't play it every night, but for £8 I'd definitely recommend it.