IGNORED

Solitaire fantasy / dungeon crawler games?

Count Buffalos

After not playing any fantasy type boardgames for 25 years, I quite fancy playing one again. Just wondering whether anyone can recommend a dungeon crawler type game I'd be playing solitaire only? It's looking like Dungeonquest might be a good option, just wondering whether anyone has experience of solitaire Dungeonquest or could recommend any other games?

Any of the Dungeons and Dragons adventure system games (Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon, Legend of Drizzt) would be perfect (I personally play these loads solo, but usually using more than one character to be honest)

Dungeon Run isnt quite so good solo (it's meant for 3+ players who like to backstab each other) but still very playable.

Mage Knight is insanely complex but great and has solo missions

I've got Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon, Legend of Drizzt, Dungeonquest and Dungeon Run and love them all, but if I could only keep one of them it would be Drizzt.

Dungeonquest is a great game - played it yesterday with my 8 year old daughter infact - but you are doing the same thing every time you play. The same could be said about Dungeon Run.

With the D&D Adventure games the different adventure scenarios that come with each game add quite some variety and longevity. I prefer Drizzt because I like the artwork on the cavern tiles better than the art on the dungeon tiles of the other games.

It's also compatible with the other D&D adventure games and you can use the minis from the upcoming D&D Dungeon Command games as well.

Drizzt is easier that the other two adventure games, especially if you use Drizzt himself - he can attack twice per turn whilst the other heroes generally can only attack once. The monsters generally have a slightly lower Armor Class and Hit points as well. That said the game isn't a push over.

You can make the game harder by using less healing surges - extra lives - or in certain adventures hiding the specific cavern tile you are looking for deeper in the tile stack than the normal 8-10 tiles recommendation.

Have you considered The Lord of The Rings: The Card Game? Not a dungeon crawler as such, but suppose to be very good played solo.

I'll second this. It's a completely different game solo because you're playing with the very minimum amount of cards. Perfectly playable solo although it's much more of a thinking game because you'll need to get to know your decks well and build different ones that cater for each adventure.

I've only got WoA and Drizzt, but they are great solo. The beauty of the rules is that you can make it harder if you need it to be (less hero's, random hero ability cards instead of choosing, drawing a monster every turn regardless etc.)

Out of the turn Drizzt is a bit easier, but the monsters are much better in WoA (imo of course ;) )