IGNORED

Healthy Breakfast

Fletch

I'm after suggestions for a healthy breakfast, I was thinking primarily cereals as it's something easy I can eat at the office, but any other ideas and discussion are more than welcome.

Thinking it would be a good start to the day, I bought some Special K this morning and it tastes like arse and isn't very healthy.

Looking online for suggestions is a minefield of contradicting advice.

Bacon and eggs. A handy way to do it is to make lots of bacon, fried in ghee or olive oil and an omelette (cheese for extra nomness) and pop the whole lot in a Tupperware box for reheating in the microwave. Keep you going all day that will and as healthy as it gets.

Fruit and Fibre - basically bran flakes with lots of dried fruit and sometimes nuts in. Great protein source, I usually mix it with some nutty muesli.

Can you provide some more details please? Where does the protein come from apart from the nuts?

In terms of something that I'm finding quite easy to have in the office without a lot of preparation at home - Natural/Greek yoghurt with blueberries and nuts, maybe some honey to sweeten it.

Surprised no one's mentioned that sometimes the healthiest breakfast might be no breakfast. I'm starting to notice that I'm not always hungry in the morning and in that case I just don't eat until I am but I know I have stuff there for when I do. I think I'm gradually trying to overcome a lifetime of eating just for the sake of it, probably down to my parents still having that 'waste not want not' approach when I was growing up and that you should always clear your plate/eat set meals.

Can you provide some more details please? Where does the protein come from apart from the nuts?

Sorry a bit vague, pretty much all of the protein will be coming from the nuts hence why I mix Fruit & Fibre with a nutty muesli.

This isn't necessarily such a high protein breakfast as bacon and eggs for example, but it's an improvement on just cereal.

Bacon and eggs. A handy way to do it is to make lots of bacon, fried in ghee or olive oil and an omelette (cheese for extra nomness) and pop the whole lot in a Tupperware box for reheating in the microwave. Keep you going all day that will and as healthy as it gets.

Do you think you could do that the night before, and stick the tupperware box in the fridge? Or is that risking the wrath of the salmonella monster

Do you think you could do that the night before, and stick the tupperware box in the fridge? Or is that risking the wrath of the salmonella monster

I don't think salmonella just appears out of nowhere if you leave cooked food in a fridge over night. Sure, if you have a raw infected egg/source and don't cook it properly you might get something, but if you've cooked your eggs/meat well and put them in a clean container overnight, I'm almost certain you won't get ill. Not from salmonella, anyway ;)

I thought the problem with microvaving food was only if you cooked it, left it out in the open for a while to cool down and didn't cover it, and then tried reheating it (after it's been able to get contaminated in another way)..

Why not make your own granola at home? It's easy to make, much cheaper than buying it, healthy and you control the amount of sugar and the extras that you want in it. Can you make smoothies and bring them in with you, they're another good way to get a protein filled start and they're pretty hassle free.

Umm those that reccommended Bran Flakes (or similar) do know there's alot of sugar hidden away in them right.

I mean I love them too and of course there are less healthy cereals but don't believe the marketing BS for a second.

If you're going the cereal route then just have Shredded Wheat or Weetabix w/ full skimmed and a chopped banana.

• 3 weeks later...

Every morning, I take a banana, then cut that into pieces and stick it into my blender with some water and some frozen fruit salad (Tesco's do a good bag - it has melon, grapes, apple and orange slices in; one bag does 3 days).

Really good breakfast I've found. Really refreshing too.